Sanjay Lal hype is getting out of control

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's been coaching in the league for nearly a decade, and has bounced around every couple years. He's now on his 5th team. Let's see what kind of production he's had in the NFL.

Team Receiving Rank By Year

2017 - 30th
2016 - 31st
2015 - 29th
2014 - 32nd
2013 - 30th
2012 - 30th
2011 - 11th
2010 - 22nd
2009 - 29th

As you can see, his groups have produced near bottom, or rock bottom production in receiving yardage. As far as I can tell, he's never produced a 1000 yard receiver in his career, although I didn't take the time to research this fully.

To be fair, he has been in some bad places, with lackluster QB play, but looking at his body of work, it is hard to get excited about what he has done. When looking at the talent on this roster, it is hard to get excited about the prospects of him coaching them up.

I was not a Derek Dooley fan by any means, but to think an NFL position coach doesn't teach technique is asinine. Under Dooley's watch, Dez, Williams, and Beasley all put up career numbers.

I think it was time for Dooley to go, but the Sanjay Lal hype is unwarranted and frankly, he is going to disappoint a lot of people.

Top WR by year

2009 Louis Murphy and Chaz Schilens
2010 Louis Murphy and Darius Heyward-Bey
2011 Darius Heyward Bey and Denarius Moore
2012 Jeremy Kerley and Jeff Cumberland
2013 Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson
2014 Erik Decker and Jeremy Kerley
2015 Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods
2016 Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin
2017 TY Hilton and Donte Moncrief

Not exactly a murderers row of WR and then you look at QB play from guys like Russell, Manuel, Smith, and Brissett.

DHB, Decker, Watkins, and Hilton all had good years ie 975+ yards under him. I think he has a good shot at maximizing a guy like Gallup and even TWill but at the end of the day most of those WR corps were worse than what Lal has now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Top WR by year

2009 Louis Murphy and Chaz Schilens
2010 Louis Murphy and Darius Heyward-Bey
2011 Darius Heyward Bey and Denarius Moore
2012 Jeremy Kerley and Jeff Cumberland
2013 Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson
2014 Erik Decker and Jeremy Kerley
2015 Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods
2016 Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin
2017 TY Hilton and Donte Moncrief

Not exactly a murderers row of WR and then you look at QB play from guys like Russell, Manuel, Smith, and Brissett.

DHB, Decker, Watkins, and Hilton all had good years ie 975+ yards under him. I think he has a good shot at maximizing a guy like Gallup and even TWill but at the end of the day most of those WR corps were worse than what Lal has now.
Terrible list but a lot of these guys like Moncrief,Watkins, Goodwin and Woods made a lot of money this year. Had some good years with Sanjay.

cern

Reaction score
Position coaches run the schemes preferred by their head coaches. Same for coordinators. This can be a blessing or a major impediment to success. We'll know very soon what Lal can do with the cowboys. This is hype season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cmon, admit it. You bought the BS that Dooley didn't teach any technique. A laughable accusation that any fan should recognize immediately.

We're going to be so much better because this guy actually coaches!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm reluctant to reach the conclusion that Lal is destined to be a flop, based solely upon his history with inferior teams. We'll probably know soon enough if his methods are wanting (or not) as midseason rolls around. Until then, I'm inclined to afford him the benefit of the doubt. Let's hope our receiving corps turns out to be a pleasant surprise to many of us. If our WRs manage to get open as advertised, Dak could quite likely be a pleasant surprise as well.

Yeah cause our receivers ate better than what he has ever worked with....except ours are not. Thank goodness we will win based off Zeke!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I like franchise QBs not CFL players we have to try to work around to compete.
Here’s the bottom line Risen, which separates me from you and others. Let’s just take Garrett for example, I’ve said numerous times this is Jason’s last year to prove it or he needs to move on. So for me, which is different from you and others, I plan on supporting him until that year is up. What benefit is it for you to crap on him day after day after day? Just seems to me the better approach is to get behind him and the team and let the coaching situation play out after the years over. It’s ok to take a pot shot at him from time to time, but Jeez, all the time?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Those stats are very misleading.

He is only a receivers coach. He is not the head coach or even the OC. Does the receivers coach get blamed for not winning the superbowl also?

Garrett hasn't won a playoff game in almost a decade. Yet people here blame it on talent and on the players themselves. Its the same deal.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s the bottom line Risen, which separates me from you and others. Let’s just take Garrett for example, I’ve said numerous times this is Jason’s last year to prove it or he needs to move on. So for me, which is different from you and others, I plan on supporting him until that year is up. What benefit is it for you to crap on him day after day after day? Just seems to me the better approach is to get behind him and the team and let the coaching situation play out after the years over. It’s ok to take a pot shot at him from time to time, but Jeez, all the time?

Here's the difference between me and you, Rockport. I judge someone on their ability and don't give any thought to what team they're on. A bad QB is a bad QB whether he plays for the Cowboys or the Ravens. I don't support bad players nor do I believe being a cheerleader has any impact on the results.

Prescott's not a franchise QB. So I don't want him here. I resent that he's here instead of the elite talent they have in Philly. Who was gifted to us but we were too stupid to take advantage of it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Those stats are very misleading.

He is only a receivers coach. He is not the head coach or even the OC. Does the receivers coach get blamed for not winning the superbowl also?

Garrett hasn't won a playoff game in almost a decade. Yet people here blame it on talent and on the players themselves. Its the same deal.

So we can't judge the wide receiver coach based on the performance of his wide receivers? Hahaha, ok.

waving monkey

Reaction score
He's been coaching in the league for nearly a decade, and has bounced around every couple years. He's now on his 5th team. Let's see what kind of production he's had in the NFL.

Team Receiving Rank By Year

2017 - 30th
2016 - 31st
2015 - 29th
2014 - 32nd
2013 - 30th
2012 - 30th
2011 - 11th
2010 - 22nd
2009 - 29th

As you can see, his groups have produced near bottom, or rock bottom production in receiving yardage. As far as I can tell, he's never produced a 1000 yard receiver in his career, although I didn't take the time to research this fully.

To be fair, he has been in some bad places, with lackluster QB play, but looking at his body of work, it is hard to get excited about what he has done. When looking at the talent on this roster, it is hard to get excited about the prospects of him coaching them up.

I was not a Derek Dooley fan by any means, but to think an NFL position coach doesn't teach technique is asinine. Under Dooley's watch, Dez, Williams, and Beasley all put up career numbers.

I think it was time for Dooley to go, but the Sanjay Lal hype is unwarranted and frankly, he is going to disappoint a lot of people.
Im going by what the players are saying

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah cause our receivers ate better than what he has ever worked with....except ours are not. Thank goodness we will win based off Zeke!

They "ate" better, yet they're not enough? That just sounds like nonsense to me. I'm sure Zeke will do his part but that's far from the whole picture. I do believe Dak will prove himself much better than anything that you have yet envisioned as long as his receivers do their part. He will feed our receivers as need be and that should be enough with Zeke's contributions to win. If not, the team will eventually look to another option. What's it take to please you?

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They "ate" better? That just sounds less than sensible to me. I'm sure Zeke will do his part but that's far from the whole picture. I believe Dak might prove himself much better than anything that you have yet envisioned. He will feed our receivers as best he can and that should be more than enough to win.

yup focus on a typing error. Of course he will do the best he can, that was not in doubt. He will have to prove he can carry this offense vs good defenses with an unproven wr group and a wr coach whom has had 1 year of not completely terrible wr rankings.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im going by what the players are saying

He's so good at his job that he's bouncing around team to team like a basketball......hope for the best and expect the worse with our WR....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
yup focus on a typing error. Of course he will do the best he can, that was not in doubt. He will have to prove he can carry this offense vs good defenses with an unproven wr group and a wr coach whom has had 1 year of not completely terrible wr rankings.

Check your typing before posting and that won't happen. Sure, the present group will be obliged to prove themselves -- that goes without saying. Whether Dak proves himself or not will be under intense scrutiny, no doubt. We should all be hoping for him to succeed, despite the questions to be answered by his new receivers. It's a lot to ask for any QB to be successful under intense scrutiny and challenges, no matter who it might be.

Sanjay Lal will also be assigned to the task of establishing himself with this franchise, which only makes Dak's task that much tougher. Let's see what happens before simply assuming that Dak will be totally dependent upon Zeke to save him, shall we? He might well do much better than some might expect. It's a demanding task he faces -- let's give a guy a fighting chance before assuming it's a hopeless cause for him to succeed.

Last edited:

vicjagger

Reaction score
Wow what production from Sanjay receivers top ten man lol...just like Austin WR is going to be the difference for us on offense .....man here(forums) were Superbowl champs every year.....the problems start when reality kicks in....

P.S. Richards will also turn Heath into Ed Reed.......:eek:
Who is Richards?