Say what you will but Jerry and Stephen and McCarthy are doing a good job

rambo2

Reaction score
From a financial perspective, sure.

From a football perspective? Yeah, I don't think a lot of teams would be lining up to hire Jerry Jones and his son as co-GMs.
They would love to have the success that the Cowboys have had and would love to have a team as good as the current Cowboy team.

Nav22

Reaction score
No they aren't because 27 years something something

coult44

Reaction score
The problem with Stephen and Jerry is they have to be proven wrong without doubt before they adjust. Jason Garrett, Jaylon Smith, Kellen Moore, trading for players (“We like our guys”)

They are still stubborn/arrogant when it comes to deadline trades and premium free agency.

The problem with McClay is that he’s not really in charge of the draft until the 3rd maybe 4th round. The Jones insist on playing football guys in the early part of the draft. McClay and the scouts shine when the Jones don’t know the names anymore.

As for the OP’s take, they have gotten better but they are also the problem. Tough decisions require accountability and consequences. There are no consequences for the Jones’ mishaps in personnel.
What constitutes a “football guy” ? This argument is beyond old and “Krusty”, doesn’t hold up anymore.

rambo2

Reaction score
What constitutes a “football guy” ? This argument is beyond old and “Krusty”, doesn’t hold up anymore.
I think a football guy would be someone that actually played the game. At least in college, and maybe for a winner or a national champion.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No they aren't because 27 years something something
Is 27 years all the fault of the 2023 Cowboys? How does what happened in 1998, 2007, 2014, 2021, or any other previous year matter right now?

I get the frustration, I've lived through it all. But we can't automatically assume failure and we certainly can't lay nearly three decades of failure at the feet of the current team.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is what I've been saying since last year. All the hate towards Jerry and so-called "cap boy" is just people lashing out because they're bitter about their own lives and need something to complain about. In fact, Jerry and Stephen have done about as good of a job as you could ask for. There was a long learning process during the cap era. But by now, it looks like they've got it down. So, I've been on the Jerry and Stephen bandwagon for a long while.

McCarthy's, too, after that San Fran loss. I think he can do it. I just think he needs to take notes from Shannahan. If he can do work more on the details, we'll have as good of a shot as anyone els.e

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Listen if we are gonna kill Jerry and Stephen when things go bad we have to give them credit for putting together a very good roster. They have done a really good job of late and I’ll say that now independent of what happens in the playoffs with regards to roster building.

Of course we have to keep it in the context of how long of a drought it’s been getting back to a championship game that is the ultimate goal- competing for Super Bowls and the right to get to the big game. However, we are in the midst of the franchises best run since the triplets and close to establishing ourselves as a really well run competitive organization and I do think that growth should be noted.
I can do this, i can also suspect MM was saddled with KM from the start, now maybe MM was fine with it but thats the kinda stuff that needs to change...Hire an HC let him pick his staff and hold him accountable...to me MM is the diference over the last several years..

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I can answer that immediately. Worry, worry, worry, worry, worry, worry. I'm a much easier sell. The window now is three years and these Cowboys are a strong team sustained now.
I agree with CCBoy on this one. It looks like we'll be competitive for at least three years. If we're able to sign Lamb, Parsons, Tyler Smith, Dak etcetera, etcetera.. We have the base players in place. Tyler Smith was a brilliant pick, and he'll be a good player for a long time. Parsons can probably play at a high level for at least 3 more years. Lamb, well, that guy is just getting started.

In some ways, he's our offensive MVP. Dak has been lights out. But he doesn't do that without CeeDee Lamb, who, in my opinion, is the best WR in the league right now. He was held back the first 5 weeks. What he's playing like now is the real CeeDee.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This desire to spike the ball and claim victory at this point is weird. But it happens every time we get on a run only to then get disappointed.

Let's talk about what a good job Jerry, Stephen and Mike did after we get through this guantlet of games and into the playoffs. Because if today you want to say they've done a really nice job and then we go 1-3 over the next 4, then this ball spiking is going to look kinda foolish.
How many other teams can you say the same thing for? That's the issue. 30 teams go home every year. Only one goes home from Super Bowl a winner. If we're going by numbers, we're still not due for another 4 years. Yet, here we are, lingering around and still in the hunt for the 1 seed.

What else do you want?

Nav22

Reaction score
Is 27 years all the fault of the 2023 Cowboys? How does what happened in 1998, 2007, 2014, 2021, or any other previous year matter right now?

I get the frustration, I've lived through it all. But we can't automatically assume failure and we certainly can't lay nearly three decades of failure at the feet of the current team.
I'm with you dude. I was being sarcastic.
:laugh:

coult44

Reaction score
I think a football guy would be someone that actually played the game. At least in college, and maybe for a winner or a national champion.
So why do people say Jerry isn’t a “football guy”?

kskboys

Reaction score
No, that's not it. A "football guy" is someone who has spent years in the game and has done his time to learn and understand. Jerry has spent years, but he does not learn well, and definitely does not understand.

kskboys

Reaction score
So why do people say Jerry isn’t a “football guy”?
Because he doesn't comprehend the intracacies of the game.

Example: "You don't need a good OLine if you have a mobile QB."

Statements such as these show unequivocally that Jerry is not a "football guy". He's a businessman.