Sayings You Were Raised Around

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
You got the tree branch treatment after that yes?
Well, of course the swattings were a given,,but ,,,, I'd lay low/ hide for a couple of hours thinking she might forget about whatever it was she thought I'd needed a whipping for in the first place, that never worked, but sometimes they didn't sting so bad after she had time to forget:lmao:

* I knew enough not to let it carry over till dad got homeo_O

Bigdog

Reaction score
I think there are exceptions like what ksk experienced with his stepson. There is also this concern from a parent, especially fathers, about the path a child might be going down and it's discipline through fear. If I don't do something I really don't want to do, where is he (most of the time it's boys) headed and is it not my responsibility to do everything I can to prevent that? It's not just about him but how this might impact other people.

Discipline is also balanced with attention and love and I did not get that part of it from my Dad so I grew up angry and resentful. Took a long time for me to reconcile that part of my life and really understand his side of it. I now my Dad loved me, just wasn't good at showing it, and being gone all week and driving home knowing he was going to have to do that was a terrible burden. To make matters worse, my Mom couldn't handle disciplining me so that was his assignment and hers was to console me afterwards. Talk about a kid growing up confused with mixed signals.

I will say this. Discipline was very strong with the Greatest Generation and might just be part of how they were able to overcome the Depression and WWII.

The real problem with discipline is when it's done in anger. Now, you've got two parties harmed.
I agree with you. I think discipline needs to be balanced. I was disciplined with a paddle, belt, wooden spoon, etc. I just think when it is out of anger or some times it goes to far that is when enough is enough.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of my later favorites were not from older people but contemporaries.

Catching some rack time.
Catching some zzzzzz's. I believe this replaced "sawing some logs". That was a great visual one because in cartoons they would have that in the bubble above the bed and it looked great. Didya ever notice how peaceful cartoon characters were when sleeping?

I remember when the term "making out" replaced necking and petting.
Then clever fellows created baseball code for scoring with the chicks. Only stupid and forgetful fellows like my crew would have to repeat the code. "Now, what's second base again"?

And my two favorite ones for doing the deed were "I'm gonna jump her bones" and "bumpin' uglies". There are people that do nothing but think this stuff up. They are my heroes.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some of my later favorites were not from older people but contemporaries.

Catching some rack time.
Catching some zzzzzz's. I believe this replaced "sawing some logs". That was a great visual one because in cartoons they would have that in the bubble above the bed and it looked great. Didya ever notice how peaceful cartoon characters were when sleeping?

I remember when the term "making out" replaced necking and petting.
Then clever fellows created baseball code for scoring with the chicks. Only stupid and forgetful fellows like my crew would have to repeat the code. "Now, what's second base again"?

And my two favorite ones for doing the deed were "I'm gonna jump her bones" and "bumpin' uglies". There are people that do nothing but think this stuff up. They are my heroes.
Knockin' boots
Doin' the nasty
Bangin'
Makin' whoopie (Be sure not to capitalize that, or it conjures up regretful images.)

csirl

Reaction score
That second one always struck me as racist, so I try to remember not to use it.

Its an old Irish saying from the early 1800s. In rural areas there was always a black metal pot of stew or something similar simmering on a turf fire/stove accompanied by a black metal teapot brewing tea. It has similar sentiment to the old biblical saying re: he who is without sin can cast the first stone....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Did you cut the cheese?" or "Did you let one?"
SOE, Safety On Everything

Any codgers like me remember this? You farted and if you didn't call Safety, your bud could frog your arm, another I don't hear any longer. A frog was when you made a fist but extended your middle knuckle and hit someone in the upper arm. Hurt like hell and there was an immediate knot and would bruise. You could also signal at the same time by putting your thumb to your forehead and wiggling your fingers out in front, just like a moron would. This was juju against the Frog.

Only brain damaged guys would invent that and I never heard if the girls had anything equivalent to that ******* idea. I look back at the stuff we created just for farts and wonder why they all didn't decide to be lesbians.

I am 100% certain that if my future wife had seen me at 16 in a fart lighting contest with my crew, 10 guys in a circle with pants down but underpants still on, trying to fart and Zippos poised for ignition, that she would have not only not married me but never have acknowledged my existence. I won't go into details about that event but there were two casualties that night. One, a mistaken fart and the other a flame thrower that blew a hole in Tommy Jones' briefs. I only mention him by name because he won the contest hands down….and ankles up.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SOE, Safety On Everything

Any codgers like me remember this? You farted and if you didn't call Safety, your bud could frog your arm, another I don't hear any longer. A frog was when you made a fist but extended your middle knuckle and hit someone in the upper arm. Hurt like hell and there was an immediate knot and would bruise. You could also signal at the same time by putting your thumb to your forehead and wiggling your fingers out in front, just like a moron would. This was juju against the Frog.

Only brain damaged guys would invent that and I never heard if the girls had anything equivalent to that ******* idea. I look back at the stuff we created just for farts and wonder why they all didn't decide to be lesbians.

I am 100% certain that if my future wife had seen me at 16 in a fart lighting contest with my crew, 10 guys in a circle with pants down but underpants still on, trying to fart and Zippos poised for ignition, that she would have not only not married me but never have acknowledged my existence. I won't go into details about that event but there were two casualties that night. One, a mistaken fart and the other a flame thrower that blew a hole in Tommy Jones' briefs. I only mention him by name because he won the contest hands down….and ankles up.
lol - I absolutely remember that!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Colder than a witches teet in a brass bra.
I always liked that one,tho never heard the brass bra added ,,as most of the witch's pointed casing-liners I'd gravitate towards went braless anyway,,, cuz' " it's good enough for the girls I go with"o_O

*I've a few rocket shot past 'rank' to just downright 'foul' sayings that really should remain unpostedo_O