Schefter Per Mort Report: Murray 5 for 42 mill 21 guaranteed

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
You know. If the Eagles win the NFCE next year and keep the Cowboys out of the playoffs, while Murray racks up 13-1700 yards....

Im going to be sick.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL Fisher and Irvin tweeting at each other...

1. mike fisher ‏@fishsports 1h1 hour ago
    .@michaelirvin88 is my all-time guy. But his passionate #Cowboys Rant just now on @1053thefan is why I don't let MI handle my budget :)

0 replies29 retweets49 favorites
    Retweet29
    Favorite49
    More
  2. 1 more reply

3. Michael Irvin ‏@michaelirvin88 1h1 hour ago
    @datoneway: @fishsports @michaelirvin88 @1053thefan MIKE WONT EVER B A GM ...I was in the PROBOWL I WLD LEAD A DYNASTY IF I WAS A GM
    1f604.png

0 replies61 retweets143 favorites
    Retweet61
    Favorite143
    More

4. mike fisher ‏@fishsports 23s24 seconds ago
    .@michaelirvin88 @datoneway @1053thefan But I was AT THE PRO BOWL! (sleeping on your hotel-room couch, I believe) :)

0 replies0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet
    Favorite
    More

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Still hoping Jerry trades some of the local reporters. for a TE.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I don't think it's guaranteed Dallas will miss him. It depends on how the Cowboys replace him..

Agreed. And it's not "hating" to say that either. Let's call it like it is, Murray had an amazing season last year. It was only the second 1000+ yard season of his career. His production declined as the season went on. He has had injury problems.

Here's another one for you to chew on. Murray had 392 carries last season. Find me a running back who had more than 370 carries in a season and performed well the next season. That kind of load ages a running back. Only need to look at Larry Johnson, etc.

It's called the "370 curse".

"The Curse of 370 Or more aptly the curse of 370 carries to a running backs career. The curse of 370 is a FootballOutsider's theory stating a running back receiving 370+ carries in the regular season will likely see a significant drop off in production the following season either due to injury or reduced effectiveness (ypc). However, not only do they see a drop off in their effectiveness the year following the 370 carry year, but also in the next consecutive years. When the number is moved up to 390 carries, regardless of regular season carries or postseason carries, those players averaged a 33% drop in total yards and an 11% drop in ypc. Notable victims of the curse of 370 include: Larry Johnson, Jamal Anderson, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis, Emmitt Smith, Michael Turner, Jerome Bettis, Earl Campbell, Curtis Martin, Marcus Allen, Christian Okoye, and Shaun Alexander. Notable Exemptions: LaDainian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson, and Walter Payton."

(source: http://www.reddit.com/r/NFLRoundTable/comments/2of0ov/the_curse_of_370_and_demarco_murray/)

Bravo to Jerry and company for doing the right thing here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That gravy train with biscuit wheels gon crash and burn in a year

I almost see this as the plan for Chip.
go batpoop crazy then head back into the college ranks as the 2nd highest paid college coach.

Can you imagine what that dude would be worth on the college coaching market?
What would he do somewhere like LSU?

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith had a beastly offensive line for his entire career, are you going to sit here and argue that Emmitt Smith didn't deserve his money or accolades simply because he had good blocking?

Are you going to sit here and compare Murray to Smith? Emmitt did it year end and year out. Murray pulled out one good year.

davey999

Reaction score
Lots of money but can anyone actually argue that we are better right now?

Murray, Durant, Carter, McClain, Parnell

Forget the draft, we have about 10 holes to fill.

burmafrd

Reaction score
So I did some research on this. Murray had 497 touches last year, counting the two playoff games. There's about eight RBs in NFL history who approach those numbers. Only one -- Eric Dickerson -- did not suffer pretty disasterous results following the monster workload season. Jamal Anderson and Terrell Davis tore their ACLs the following season. Eddie George dropped to 3.0 per carry and was never the same. Larry Johnson never hit 1,000 again and was never the same. Gerald Riggs had one more 1,000 season, but he was never the same. Ricky Williams had one more 1,000 season, but he was never the same.

I was really worried Dallas would go to $7 mil a year. This is a really good deal. It might sting now with the Birds winning this skirmish, but long term, this is a good deal.

Yeah the way he was rode this year he will most likely (9-1 odds) never be as good again. Good on him for taking the money; good on us for not giving him the money.

Wayne02

Reaction score
Are you going to sit here and compare Murray to Smith? Emmitt did it year end and year out. Murray pulled out one good year.

I'm not comparing Murray and Emmitt, I'm simply showing how flawed your argument is about having a good offensive line. What makes you think that Murray wouldn't have that same continued success, year eand and year out with this offensive line?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Am i crazy but wouldnt that be 3/5 of eagle's oline that is gone? One to indy, one retired, and now possibly trading evan mathis? Haven't seen much discussion about it... They had a good oline

Who retired?