Schefter Per Mort Report: Murray 5 for 42 mill 21 guaranteed

mahoneybill

Reaction score
By the time the Eagles are paying Murray and he's approaching 30 to the same large contract (or eating his dead cap money if he doesn't pan out), Frederick and Martin will need to be resigned. We'll have the cap room to do it because of moves like this.

Nice analysis

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm not going to criticize Murray. This was his one chance to get paid for taking the beating that he did. This is going to be his last big contract. $21 million guaranteed, with wise investments, sets you up for life.
It's his body taking the beating, not Cowboys fans. So good for you, Murray, in getting paid. Unfortunately, we'll have to send you into early retirement because we're about to give you a beat-down twice a year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I used the comparison of the Colts after 2005 season in this thread I think. They lost Edgerrin James after a 1500 yard, 13 TD season to free agency. He was 27 when he left the Colts to go to the Arizona cardinals. He had 360 carries that year. Indy drafted Joseph Addai with the 30th pick in the first round of the 2006 draft. Addai ran for over 1000 yards on a 4.8 ypc and along with Dominic Rhodes who ran for over 600 yards provided a very good 1-2 punch for their running game and helped them win the Super Bowl. James had a couple of 1000 yard seasons with the Cards but averaged 3.6 ypc in his 4 years with the Cards. Look I hate the a to b type comparisons but James was a heck of a running back at that time and a much better all around player than Murray and the Colts moved on and didn't miss a beat.

Another good point to the melters around here.
Remember how you felt last off season when Ware, et al left?
4-12 seasons all around!

Lookie what happened.
I would say quit going Fukushima, but I'm having too darn a good time reading your posts to seriously say that.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Matthews is signing in Philly too, per Schefter.

I'm all confused.

Very strange, all around.

I can't fault Murray. He earned the money and took the best offer. Good for him, and good for us not overpaying.

With that said, I'm MIGHTILY concerned with how we replace him. He was a deodorant for our defense and the bellcow of the offense. But I'm OK with not overpaying just to keep things as the were.

I can't wish him luck being that he went to Philly, but I certainly understand why he's gone.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Who was who's QB? not sure what your point is here. I know who the Cards and colts QBs were at that time. if you are trying to make the point about Manning, he doesn't win a Super Bowl with Addai and Rhodes doing what they did because Manning was pretty average in that playoff run.

He threw for 3700 yards or better and quite a few TDs that season. He was young and healthy. I'm not jinxing Romo so I won't finish.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Very strange, all around.

I can't fault Murray. He earned the money and took the best offer. Good for him, and good for us not overpaying.

With that said, I'm MIGHTILY concerned with how we replace him. He was a deodorant for our defense and the bellcow of the offense. But I'm OK with not overpaying just to keep things as the were.

I can't wish him luck being that he went to Philly, but I certainly understand why he's gone.

Concerned of replacing a back with no vision and no home run speed? We still have our OL and that is all that matters, as there are 100 backs that can play behind them and do just as good as job at half the price.

mldardy

Reaction score
Another good point to the melters around here.
Remember how you felt last off season when Ware, et al left?
4-12 seasons all around!

Lookie what happened.
I would say quit going Fukushima, but I'm having too darn a good time reading your posts to seriously say that.

I just feel good in the coaching staff and the front office for the first time in a long time. They started rebuilding their offensive line and they found a formula last year by relying on that offensive line. Look this day hurts no doubt about it but I feel the further we get away from this day we will look back on it as one of the best things the Cowboys could ever do. It reminds of the day the Jones fired Landry and the day we traded Herschel Walker. Yes I'm old enough to remember how I felt on those two days and it wasn't very good. The media killed the Cowboys on both of those days and had their been an internet this board would have gone crazy but we all know the results of those two days and it turned out very well for the Cowboys. I have a feeling this will be the same.