Schefter Per Mort Report: Murray 5 for 42 mill 21 guaranteed

31smackdown

Reaction score
Maybe they are going to run alternating offenses to stay fresh. Murray is going to have his tongue on the ground with that hurry up offense. Hard to be a power back when you only get 15 seconds between plays.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I thought the overall topic of discussion was now and 2005 was ancillary to make a point.
Of course- I started drinking (hey- a man has to work sometime) a few hours ago so I could have all this all wrong.

You know me by now Dave...

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Concerned of replacing a back with no vision and no home run speed? We still have our OL and that is all that matters, as there are 100 backs that can play behind them and do just as good as job at half the price.

I think you're severely underrating the ability it takes to rush for 1,800 yards behind any offensive line. Emmitt played behind an even better line and didn't do it. Let's not pretend "any back could do it."

Murray has his flaws -- fumbling, propensity to run to contact, injury history -- but turned in a phenomenal 2014 season following a very good 2013 campaign.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
BoysfanfromCanada said:
said:
By the time the Eagles are paying Murray and he's approaching 30 to the same large contract (or eating his dead cap money if he doesn't pan out), Frederick and Martin will need to be resigned. We'll have the cap room to do it because of moves like this.

Nice analysis

Will Romo still be here? And what kind of condition will he be in?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think you're severely underrating the ability it takes to rush for 1,800 yards behind any offensive line. Emmitt played behind an even better line and didn't do it. Let's not pretend "any back could do it."

Murray has his flaws -- fumbling, propensity to run to contact, injury history -- but turned in a phenomenal 2014 season following a very good 2013 campaign.
No doubt and I don't want anyone here to think my flippancy is trying to diminish Murray.
It's not, but I do believe this team can recover from this and come out ahead.
Both financially and team-wise.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, good luck Murray. I hope you don't have to feed beans to your family now that you are making some good money. As for the fans that think him being gone mean bad thing for the Cowboys, just remember, one man does not a team make.

Many fans blame Romo for losses as if he is the only guy on the team. Well, Murray is not the only guy on this team that went 12-4 last season, so if anyone thinks HE is the reason for the success last year, he was a part of the team, not the whole team.

If Murray wants to go to the stink hole in Philly for the coin...hey, good luck! Break a leg dude!

wileedog

Reaction score

I don't think we'll have 1800 yards in rushing next year.

But I think the right combination of a vet and solid draft pick can get 12-13k at a fraction of the cost, and hopefully that money saved shores up the defense. IF that happens I think its a net wash, but we're also better set for the future with a young developing RB instead of watching an older one steadily break down.

Linehan is going to earn his money figuring out how best to utilize his new RBs with this line though.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
This is going to hurt for a while. I heard we were there with the money, but Philly upped the guarantees. DeMarco is going to come hard at us.

Reactions: BAT

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is going to hurt for a while. I heard we were there with the money, but Philly upped the guarantees. DeMarco is going to come hard at us.

Yea, apparently the yearly average was about the same between the two offers, but Philly was guaranteeing more of the overall contract. I guess we were scared he would turn into MB3 and with $20 million guaranteed, we would have to eat that contract.

Man, I hope this decision pays off because if our running game sucks next year, we are done.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

I dont think the front office thought anybody would offer him that kind of contract. I think they were expecting him to come back with a much lower offer which they wouldve matched.

Now we are sitting here , with a rookie at RB , going into next season......

yup. and yes, Murray and the Eagles will have a little extra next year.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I dont think the front office thought anybody would offer him that kind of contract. I think they were expecting him to come back with a much lower offer which they wouldve matched.

Now we are sitting here , with a rookie at RB , going into next season......

yup.

I think just the opposite. I think if they were counting on that, you'd have been more likely to see a knee-jerk counter from us to ensure he stays.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Yea, apparently the yearly average was about the same between the two offers, but Philly was guaranteeing more of the overall contract. I guess we were scared he would turn into MB3 and with $20 million guaranteed, we would have to eat that contract.

Man, I hope this decision pays off because if our running game sucks next year, we are done.

well, according to many , we are going to draft the Offensive Rookie of the Year next year at RB in the 3rd round, so dont even sweat it.....:)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think the front office thought anybody would offer him that kind of contract.

I think they are secretly relieved he got a bigger offer. Sure they said all the right things since the season ended but it was clear all along they didn't want a big investment in a RB.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Not about the money. I could have signed a large contact early on. It's about winning a Super Bowl.

Really? Now y'all understand my rant!!! Screeeeeew him!

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I think just the opposite. I think if they were counting on that, you'd have been more likely to see a knee-jerk counter from us to ensure he stays.

Maybe....but Blue&Silver said he heard we were there with the money, which tells me they came up Significantly from the original offer, trying not to lose him. They just couldn't hang with Chippy and his checkbook.

I'm not necessarily saying it wasn't the right move, long term.....

But I don't think this was in their plans for next year. I think they were expecting Murray back.....

Unless they hit a home run in the draft. We won't be as good as we were last year.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I think they are secretly relieved he got a bigger offer. Sure they said all the right things since the season ended but it was clear all along they didn't want a big investment in a RB.

Yeah. They have been saying this for awhile. You are right...

I think maybe they were "hoping" they could get him with out breaking the bank...

But as it stand now. We have a rookie starting next year at RB. I dont think they "really" wanted that.....??