Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Since next year is the last year of his contract any way and we will undoubtedly restructure his $13M 2024 base salary downwards like we do every year for cap purposes...just extend the man. You don't screw around with the great players. Give him a SB now and a couple of big $ years starting in 2025 and cut his 2024 base to $1M. The only cap hit this year would be 1/5 of his SB and next year his cap hit would go down.
What is SB?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I kind of agree, but I keep him.

Remember, he shut down Justin Jefferson. That was impressive. With Gilmore,I think he'll be really good this year.
He also dropped one of the easier picks you can have in the Niners playoff game. That would have changed that game big time. The lowly Packers secondary shut down Jefferson and that offense as well.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It's always odd when this suddenly comes out right before camp. Martin is the 4th highest paid guard in the NFL. I wouldn't say that's grossly underpaid, but mine as well get his money before the Cowboys spend a lot retaining players vs a couple years from now when he's 2 years older and may not fetch 5he same money.
4th highest paid doesn't tell the story. He is a good amount behind the highest paid and he wants that made up. I don't blame these players at all, especially in this league. Their contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on. They can be cut at any time and all we hear there is how efficient the front office is doing that. But when players do the opposite for themselves, now they are greedy and need to shut up and play. This is a violent game and their careers and life can be altered at any given time. Go get your money when you have the leverage to and he definitely does.

erod

Reaction score
He also dropped one of the easier picks you can have in the Niners playoff game. That would have changed that game big time. The lowly Packers secondary shut down Jefferson and that offense as well.
Defensive backs drop picks constantly. But not Trevon. He's a receiver playing corner.

Sydla

Reaction score
Since next year is the last year of his contract any way and we will undoubtedly restructure his $13M 2024 base salary downwards like we do every year for cap purposes...just extend the man. You don't screw around with the great players. Give him a SB now and a couple of big $ years starting in 2025 and cut his 2024 base to $1M. The only cap hit this year would be 1/5 of his SB and next year his cap hit would go down.
Tend to agree. They are going to have to touch his contract next year anyway unless their plan is just let him play out his contract and kick him to the curb after 2024. But he has dummy years beyond 2024 so they can either eat them if they let him walk or they come up with an extension to work around it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's the contract he signed. So it's our fault that salaries keep increasing? What's the point of signing a contract if you're going to want to tear it up later. Just sign one year contracts every year.

I'm fine with him getting more money if it comes out of daks contract. Because he doesn't earn half of the 42 million he gets.

That won't happen though.

I'm not a fan of players rushing out to always get the highest price.
This is NOT that.

He's 5 years into his current deal and signed a great longer-term deal to help the Cowboys (and him) spread out the dollars.
The assumption when a great player does that is that he will usually get re-negotiated late in the deal.
But it's WAY out of whack right now
And he's been playing on no guarantees for awhile too--which means if he had a career-ending injury, he'd be screwed.
It works both ways

If you disagree, that's fine.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Everybody likes Zach and wants him to be happy but it's galling to see these extremely well paid athletes welch on their contracts. It's a freaking contract and everybody knows that every year the newer contracts will be higher, just like yours was higher than other people's when you signed. Honor your freaking contract.
So it's all about who people like. Supposed grown men too. Smh. People really show their true colors when they are anonymous

phildadon86

Reaction score
Directly responding to America's Cowboys who said he could prodouce a video of him getting burned and "penalized" last season.

So in the spirit of that discussion, I am just pointing out that Martin had zero penalties in the San Fran game (and admitted that game wasn't his best) and only one penalty all year.

PS - He was 1st team all pro last year so while he may have had a bad 49ers game, the notion he made a bunch of mistakes last year seems kind of preposterous.
Martin in his career has 6 penalties. He has more pro bowls and all pros than penalties. Bringing up penalty and Martin in the same sentence shows me everything I need to know about that poster.

Honestly. This could all be media driven. There has been zero off field drama for the media to go on about regarding the cowboys. So. How do you raise ratings? Make some stuff up! Until this is confirmed by either camp I’m keeping my opinions to myself

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
If I'm the Cowboys I'm letting Trayvon Diggs walk. We simply don't have the money and he gives up too many plays. I would rather have someone who bats down balls than gives up a bunch of plays and also gets interceptions... the big plays and interceptions are basically a wash so I'm not paying for that if I'm Jerry jones. Oh and the San Francisco game pretty much sealed his fate if I'm the gm.
He’s staying and it’s Trevon. We’re lucky to have him but that game was ugly for him.

Sydla

Reaction score
4th highest paid doesn't tell the story. He is a good amount behind the highest paid and he wants that made up. I don't blame these players at all, especially in this league. Their contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on. They can be cut at any time and all we hear there is how efficient the front office is doing that. But when players do the opposite for themselves, now they are greedy and need to shut up and play. This is a violent game and their careers and life can be altered at any given time. Go get your money when you have the leverage to and he definitely does.
He's 6th in cash paid in 2023. Yes, he's far behind the leader but that's because the OG with the most cash paid in 2023 is Chris Lindstrom who just signed an extension and his cash paid includes a big signing bonus. If you take him out, Martin is only like $2.5MM or so in cash paid behind the highest OG at $16MM this year.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Dumping top dollars into guards just isn't the best practice.

The best GMs don't do it. It's the most replaceable spot on the OLine....and using that money on OTackles, pass rushers, corners, WR and QB is far smarter

phildadon86

Reaction score
If I'm the Cowboys I'm letting Trayvon Diggs walk. We simply don't have the money and he gives up too many plays. I would rather have someone who bats down balls than gives up a bunch of plays and also gets interceptions... the big plays and interceptions are basically a wash so I'm not paying for that if I'm Jerry jones. Oh and the San Francisco game pretty much sealed his fate if I'm the gm.
Diggs coverage rating last season was way better than the season prior. His INT total went down but his coverage improved.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great player, but definitely getting dinged up more often than he used to.

So much money to Dak. So much money about to go to Trevon and CeeDee. A mountain of money eventually for Micah.

Something has to give.

Pollard definitely gone after this year. Probably Lawrence, too.
666 the final act is almost here.......As I've posted before: The people will follow like sheep and all that will be left is misery and sorrow in his wake.
What are you gonna do Jeremia......Time to pay for your mistakes but unfortunately it's your guts and our blood...... :banghead:

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
To all the players that do this they signed the contract the owners do not have to acquiesce to it I'm sorry you think that but there's a thing called integrity and when you sign something it's called a contract it's legally binding of course Jerry might come to the table and talk about a little bonus but don't say that every player has a right to come back interband more money even though he signed the contract that means they shouldn't even have contracts what good is the paper it's even written on? To say it's absurd you're obviously not a business person this is a business this is a giant corporation the NFL is $100 billion business and each one of these 32 teams franchises have a salary cap to work with and they have a lot of people to pay you cannot just give in to every demand or it will become out of control do you not understand this I mean maybe you have no general business acumen.. That's what it sounds like you just want to stick up for the players but forget there's a business side of it I didn't say he wasn't worth redoing his contract I'm telling you that threatening to hold out is a bad way of going about it and I don't even believe the story is 100% true and again he may get his stuff redone with a little bit more up front and bonus or something but again I'm sticking to my reply and you to say it's absurd meaning you have no clue on how business is run and you're not keeping in mind what a contract is and the fact is the NFL is a hard salary cap they literally have other players to pay... You know huge contracts coming up for Trayvon diggs Micah Parsons CD lamb possible restructure with Prescott there's not an endless amount of money on a hard salary cap.

No one's saying the man doesn't deserve a little bit more money but I'm telling you it's the wrong way to go about it and I'll say it again reread because I'm not going to copy and paste what I already wrote that you replied to I'm sticking to that 100%..

Please stop telling me how absurd I am when you obviously don't even have a clue when it comes to how this really works....
Except guys at important positions of need hold out and then get traded somewhere for the new deal they want or get a new deal from their current team all the time so maybe it’s you who has an antiquated take on how “this really works”