Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what I love to see. The best player on the team whose earned Dak about 3/4th of his inflated contract, unhappy with the contract. I hope he sits and Dak gets to play without him.
Nah we got Dak man he can handle all kinds of adversities........
Hey, when you have greatness at the QB position(as his contract proves) who needs a Guard now ......really???
I can feel my mans Martin's dilemma how many times has he thought......Jeez there paying that BUM all that money and all he's doing is losing games for us.
I want a raise NOW!!!!!!

J_Allen

Reaction score
Micah Parsons has not in any way established the LONG TERM credibility of ZM, as far as impact on the team. At this rate, the way Parsons is battling bigger OL as a full time rusher, considering his size his drop off could be immediate.
He's not going to last as long playing end, that's for sure.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Remember when Erik Williams was contemplating retirement right before training camp started and then once it was over he said he changed his mind? I got a kick out of that.

817Gill

Reaction score
He’ll get what he wants and that’s not even a question lol. Good agent work though waiting until a week out of camp

Kwyn

Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea he was that underpaid.
I guarantee he's not one of those guys that demand to always be the highest paid, but 7 mil a year below market as a lineman is insane when you are the best in the business.
Nobody deserves it more
He’s not. That 7m is one guy who just signed a massively front loaded signing bonus because his team had room right now to pay.

Zack is actually only 2m off the “actual” top paid guard in the league and remember, he’s in year four and had his own massive, record setting contract when he got signed.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The problem with redoing his contract is that he has a very low base this year. However, he does have $13 million in base next year. So we could increase his base this year some while lowering his base next year and adding two years on to his deal. The guarantee is really what's important to these players, so if the team did that and pumped another $30 million in guarantees into the deal, that would probably get the job done. Split the bonus over four years and lower the base next year and you have something like this year going from $11 million to $18 and next year reducing from $23 million to $19 million (base goes from $13 million to $2 million and is fully guaranteed). Pump some artificial higher bases into those last two years to set up another restructure if he's still playing at a high level. Could go with a lower bonus than that to make the next two years balance out to what they are now (with the guarantee/bonus being the main difference), but I just chose an example that I believe would be acceptable to him.
A way to lower the bonus, too, would be to guarantee some of the base in the last couple of years. The total guarantee could be in the $30 million range without the bonus having to be, which would allow the second-year cap hit to come down to the point where it actually benefits the team at little. Say you make the signing bonus $20 million, then guarantee $2 million base next year (lowered from $13 million, which is not guaranteed at this time) and $4 million in base the next two years. That would increase his cap hit this year to $16 million and lower his cap hit next year to $17 million (a savings of $1 million over his projected hit for the next two years). Although Martin's restructure bonus is prorated through 2024, the only guaranteed money he has left that is coming to him is a $1 million roster bonus next year. Higher salary guarantees the last couple of years could lower the hit over the next two years even more if we want to use that to free up some cap space.

The only real problem with guarantees is if you think the player won't fulfill the contract. However, it would be a surprise if Martin isn't still playing well at 36. I figure that Dallas doesn't want to redo his contract this year, though, because it is planning to restructure him next year to reduce that non-guaranteed $13 million base. If he's still playing at a high level, an extension would be in order then.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
When did this new criteria pop up regarding holdouts? You have to be a hall of famer now to not get called names? Lmao

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Having Dak is bad for our team’s performance and it’s probably getting frustrating for Zach to watch his yearly HOF performance being wasted for Mr, Pick 6…
That’s not what I asked. You hope Dak plays without Martin, why? So the team loses more? So Dak potentially gets injured?

Sydla

Reaction score
No penalties is the barometer? Interesting
Directly responding to America's Cowboys who said he could prodouce a video of him getting burned and "penalized" last season.

So in the spirit of that discussion, I am just pointing out that Martin had zero penalties in the San Fran game (and admitted that game wasn't his best) and only one penalty all year.

PS - He was 1st team all pro last year so while he may have had a bad 49ers game, the notion he made a bunch of mistakes last year seems kind of preposterous.

khiladi

Reaction score
That’s not what I asked. You hope Dak plays without Martin, why? So the team loses more? So Dak potentially gets injured?
If we are consistent extending Dak while ZM is underpaid, why not? We should see how much Dak is actually worth…. Ultimately, like they say, “it’s a business”…

khiladi

Reaction score
Even Zeke called him the best player on the offense just two years back. It was more than evident that year, how much they depend on him in the running game, not just passing. Even against Philly, with DeNucci and company running street ball plays, Moore basically stabilized the offense and made it competitive into the 4th until that bogus TO call by running Zeke behind Zach.

"Zack's our best player on our offense. I mean, most runs, they coming back behind him," he told reporters Monday. "It's disappointing, but you can't harp on it, can't let it be more than what it is. I mean, definitely going to miss him, definitely wish he was out there, but we still have a game to go play and we got to try and get the job done."[/wuote]

https://syndication.bleacherreport....artin-cowboys-best-player-on-offense.amp.html

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When did this new criteria pop up regarding holdouts? You have to be a hall of famer now to not get called names? Lmao
Everybody likes Zach and wants him to be happy but it's galling to see these extremely well paid athletes welch on their contracts. It's a freaking contract and everybody knows that every year the newer contracts will be higher, just like yours was higher than other people's when you signed. Honor your freaking contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
Everybody likes Zach and wants him to be happy but it's galling to see these extremely well paid athletes welch on their contracts. It's a freaking contract and everybody knows that every year the newer contracts will be higher, just like yours was higher than other people's when you signed. Honor your freaking contract.
Again, we have no idea if he's going to "welch" on his contract.

We've seen nothing from Zack's camp about holding out for sure. For all we know, he simply asked for an extension, and there is nothing wrong with that. With Elliott, he and his agent pretty much came out and said he's holding out. We've seen nothing like that, yet, from Martin or his people.

erod

Reaction score
Great player, but definitely getting dinged up more often than he used to.

So much money to Dak. So much money about to go to Trevon and CeeDee. A mountain of money eventually for Micah.

Something has to give.

Pollard definitely gone after this year. Probably Lawrence, too.