Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everyone else. Martin is our best player. He is one of the best ever. Give him a boost.
best player on the team? I don't think he holds that mantle any longer. Is he even best player on the OL if Tyler is progressing like we are being led to believe?

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Again, we have no idea if he's going to "welch" on his contract.

We've seen nothing from Zack's camp about holding out for sure. For all we know, he simply asked for an extension, and there is nothing wrong with that. With Elliott, he and his agent pretty much came out and said he's holding out. We've seen nothing like that, yet, from Martin or his people.
Unless training camp is optional then not showing up is welching on your contract.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The problem with redoing his contract is that he has a very low base this year. However, he does have $13 million in base next year. So we could increase his base this year some while lowering his base next year and adding two years on to his deal. The guarantee is really what's important to these players, so if the team did that and pumped another $30 million in guarantees into the deal, that would probably get the job done. Split the bonus over four years and lower the base next year and you have something like this year going from $11 million to $18 and next year reducing from $23 million to $19 million (base goes from $13 million to $2 million and is fully guaranteed). Pump some artificial higher bases into those last two years to set up another restructure if he's still playing at a high level. Could go with a lower bonus than that to make the next two years balance out to what they are now (with the guarantee/bonus being the main difference), but I just chose an example that I believe would be acceptable to him.
Yep, and it's possible he's mainly looking to secure the 2024 salary (by getting the guarantee paid in 2023). By my calculation, if he were to get injured and forced to miss (some/most) 2024, he could well be cut, which even with the Void Years added, will give us a CAP saving of $4m. Problem is he's getting to the age that the end can come suddenly and irreparably.

khiladi

Reaction score
They’
Great player, but definitely getting dinged up more often than he used to.

So much money to Dak. So much money about to go to Trevon and CeeDee. A mountain of money eventually for Micah.

Something has to give.

Pollard definitely gone after this year. Probably Lawrence, too.
imagine thinking CeeDee is more valuable than Martin..

ESisback

Reaction score
Dallashaters nationwide are GIDDY with excitement, and PRAY that this derails the Cowboys.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
OK, but didn't the last players' agreement put in tough penalties for players under contract who hold out? I think it's something like $50,000 a day plus a significant loss of 1/18th of the player's contract for each preseason game missed. Plus under the new agreement the penalties cannot be waived.

Aside from showing the fecklessness of the players' union, this really means the ball is in Stephen's court.

khiladi

Reaction score
I honestly don’t follow contracts much, but I have no idea what this entails, because both Zack and Dak restructured in March of this year. What does this all entail as far as the Tweet claiming Zack per reports is unhappy that Dallas is not showing willingness to restructure?

Claiming he didn’t honor the contract from the FO side technically doesn’t work, as the FO came to him and asked him to adjust and he did. So if he isn’t honoring the contract, the FO didn’t first..

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/restructuring-dak-zack-contracts-saves-30-million#:~:text=With a push of the,deal slices about $8 million.

shabazz

Reaction score
So is Martin money hungry and selfish for doing this right now right before camp like people suggested Zeke was?
Hard to argue against this

He doesn't want to honor his contract and that's the bottom line......unfortunately, he IS the best player on the team not named Micah

Can't pick and choose who gets a pass and I don't admire his timing

J_Allen

Reaction score
Great player, but definitely getting dinged up more often than he used to.

So much money to Dak. So much money about to go to Trevon and CeeDee. A mountain of money eventually for Micah.

Something has to give.

Pollard definitely gone after this year. Probably Lawrence, too.
If I'm the Cowboys I'm letting Trayvon Diggs walk. We simply don't have the money and he gives up too many plays. I would rather have someone who bats down balls than gives up a bunch of plays and also gets interceptions... the big plays and interceptions are basically a wash so I'm not paying for that if I'm Jerry jones. Oh and the San Francisco game pretty much sealed his fate if I'm the gm.

erod

Reaction score
If I'm the Cowboys I'm letting Trayvon Diggs walk. We simply don't have the money and he gives up too many plays. I would rather have someone who bats down balls than gives up a bunch of plays and also gets interceptions... the big plays and interceptions are basically a wash so I'm not paying for that if I'm Jerry jones. Oh and the San Francisco game pretty much sealed his fate if I'm the gm.
I kind of agree, but I keep him.

Remember, he shut down Justin Jefferson. That was impressive. With Gilmore,I think he'll be really good this year.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I kind of agree, but I keep him.

Remember, he shut down Justin Jefferson. That was impressive. With Gilmore,I think he'll be really good this year.
We can't afford him and some of the others so if I have to let one person walk it's him.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its always something every year at training camp that comes up hope they get it figured out because they have a really good team this year and if they stay healthy they could go far

khiladi

Reaction score
This is absurd. A potential hall of fame player is obviously underpaid. What is he supposed to do? Grin and take it for the good of the team? Without him, the team is significantly worse. Every player, every employee deserves to be paid what they're worth, and owners can absolutely make it happen. They choose not to, not for any selfless reason, but because it's easier to profit when employees are underpaid.
Plus they’ve come to him to restructure already. Restructuring is not “honoring contracts” either from the side of the FO.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hard to argue against this

He doesn't want to honor his contract and that's the bottom line......unfortunately, he IS the best player on the team not named Micah

Can't pick and choose who gets a pass and I don't admire his timing
I know. But I think we both know he's a bit underpaid. That's putting it mildly. As fans we just assume that position is locked up and settled.

Sydla

Reaction score
I honestly don’t follow contracts much, but I have no idea what this entails, because both Zack and Dak restructured in March of this year. What does this all entail as far as the Tweet claiming Zack per reports is unhappy that Dallas is not showing willingness to restructure?

Claiming he didn’t honor the contract from the FO side technically doesn’t work, as the FO came to him and asked him to adjust and he did. So if he isn’t honoring the contract, the FO didn’t first..

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/restructuring-dak-zack-contracts-saves-30-million#:~:text=With a push of the,deal slices about $8 million.
I am guessing they are simply substituting "restructure" for extend.

A team doesn't necessarily need permission to restructure a contract, as "restructure" is defined by the CBA. If they are converting base salary to a bonus, the player doesn't need to sign off. Granted, no player would do that because who in their right mind would say to a team, "Nah, I don't want that lump sum of cash right now, I'd rather you just give it to me over 17 weeks..."

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It's always odd when this suddenly comes out right before camp. Martin is the 4th highest paid guard in the NFL. I wouldn't say that's grossly underpaid, but mine as well get his money before the Cowboys spend a lot retaining players vs a couple years from now when he's 2 years older and may not fetch 5he same money.