Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

krs1bro

Reaction score
Have to pay up. The pie is getting smaller for the other blue chip players. He deserves it. At some point you have to find that balance of what it takes to assemble a super bowl team within the cap.
Let's so what the master, Stephen Jones comes up with. Hopefully he/they (Jones's) will take care of this man.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Zack should have thought about that before he signed an extension....Sounds like my ex....but hey, that's the NFL... players need to get all they can get during their short shelf life in the league. Can't blame him for that. But the pie is only so big, less for others.
If a player comes in unheralded and has to wait out the rookie contract (while playing at a high level), I certainly have no problem with his contract being inflated some as payback. Nor with him trying to remain fairly compensated as his career continues.

However, I do define fairly compensated without regards to being perpetually the highest paid player. Also, in situations like Zack, he never played for peanuts nor has he ever had to sweat being taken care of by the organization. He needs to look in the mirror and understand he isn't in the market setting stage of his career.

If he adopts a hardline stance, seems like another athlete losing perspective.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
WHO CARES WE ALL KNOW IT WILL GET DONE, HE WAITS UNTIL NOW TO DO THIS???
Very unlikely he woke up this week and realized he was underpaid. What’s more likely is they’ve been communicating back and forth about this all offseason and it hasn’t gotten anywhere, so now he is frustrated because camp is already near

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I just have to note that Zach Martin will be paid $1.7m to play football this year. He has zero guaranteed dollars coming to him. He could play out this year, get his $1.7m and then get cut.

https://overthecap.com/player/zack-martin/2955

Quite frankly, I get it.

Just as a quick summary, to this date, in his 10 years in the NFL he has earned $74m. For his level of play, a bargain.

Reactions: CWR

John813

Reaction score
]
I just have to note that Zach Martin will be paid $1.7m to play football this year. He has zero guaranteed dollars coming to him. He could play out this year, get his $1.7m and then get cut.

https://overthecap.com/player/zack-martin/2955

Quite frankly, I get it.

Just as a quick summary, to this date, in his 10 years in the NFL he has earned $74m. For his level of play, a bargain.
He got a huge check(11.8mil) in March after his deal was restructured. You're looking at his base salary that will be split over 18 weeks.

For actual take home cash use spotrac
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/zack-martin-14425/?ref=trending-players
He took home 11.8 in March and will receive 94k a week starting week 1. He's going to make 13.5 mil this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Martin in his career has 6 penalties. He has more pro bowls and all pros than penalties. Bringing up penalty and Martin in the same sentence shows me everything I need to know about that poster.

Honestly. This could all be media driven. There has been zero off field drama for the media to go on about regarding the cowboys. So. How do you raise ratings? Make some stuff up! Until this is confirmed by either camp I’m keeping my opinions to myself
Know what? That Zack is being greedy and pulling a Zeke? Sure, he only had 1 penalty attributed to him, but many times he got burned or whiffed on blocks last season. Plus, he's not as mobile as he used to be due to age and wear-n-tear. You would have to be a fool to pay him top league position pay as he is demanding at this point of his career.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Know what? That Zack is being greedy and pulling a Zeke? Sure, he only had 1 penalty attributed to him, but many times he got burned or whiffed on blocks last season. Plus, he's not as mobile as he used to be due to age and wear-n-tear. You would have to be a fool to pay him top league position pay as he is demanding at this point of his career.
I was just in the locker room a few days ago. He had a lot of stars next to his name. Much more than Zeke ever did. And no offense zack has never had the off field issues Zeke did. I’d prefer to pay Martin who’s a consummate professional over a guy who was one suspension away from being out of the league.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I was just in the locker room a few days ago. He had a lot of stars next to his name. Much more than Zeke ever did. And no offense zack has never had the off field issues Zeke did. I’d prefer to pay Martin who’s a consummate professional over a guy who was one suspension away from being out of the league.
consider the source. Probably the worst football poster on this board

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You're really stretching at this point. Zeke is no longer here. If Zack pulls a Zeke and sits out of attending training camp just because he wants to get paid tops at his position throughout the whole league at his age, I would trade him immediately if I could get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for him. No way is he worth top NFL position pay, especially with so many young bucks' contract renewals coming up.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
What's his trade value?

"Just Pay Him" is an awfully simplistic view. How much? How long? You can't "just pay" everyone!

He is a great player, but is an aging guard really where you want to break the bank?

Dallas has a LOT of solid young players that will demand high portions of the cap. Lamb, Parsons, Diggs, etc...

I really love Martin, but he's still got 2 years remaining on his current deal.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You're really stretching at this point. Zeke is no longer here. If Zack pulls a Zeke and sits out of attending training camp just because he wants to get paid tops at his position throughout the whole league at his age, I would trade him immediately if I could get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for him. No way is he worth top NFL position pay, especially with so many young bucks' contract renewals coming up.
You’re comparing a hall of fame player to Zeke. Think about that for a minute. He signed a contract to help the team back when he signed. Zeke signed a contract that crippled the team. On difference is. Zekes play fell off a cliff after he got paid. Martin’s play hasnt. You brought up penalties. So just for arguments sake. Dak threw 15 picks after missing 5 games. Should he take a massive pay cut? Because 6 penalties in a career is about as elite as it gets. 15 picks is as bad as it gets.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You’re comparing a hall of fame player to Zeke. Think about that for a minute. He signed a contract to help the team back when he signed. Zeke signed a contract that crippled the team. On difference is. Zekes play fell off a cliff after he got paid. Martin’s play hasnt. You brought up penalties. So just for arguments sake. Dak threw 15 picks after missing 5 games. Should he take a massive pay cut? Because 6 penalties in a career is about as elite as it gets. 15 picks is as bad as it gets.
Romo used to throw for a lot more picks, but I'm sure you were fine with that since it was Romo. But since you brought it up, I have said often that Dak should take a paycut. Big time. He's not worth paying more than $30 - $32 mil/year. He already got the big contract, plus he's about to turn 30 years old. Both Dak and Zack need to take less if they want to remain Dallas Cowboys! Would you agree?