Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dude was a good player and was worth the 14 million per year we have been paying him. He is 33 and his body is starting to fail him. He know it and is looking to cash in one last time. Let him play out his contract and see what happens after that. Why do we always have to end up eating bad contracts every time. Why not go out on top for once.

J_Allen

Reaction score
He’s staying and it’s Trevon. We’re lucky to have him but that game was ugly for him
One, you can't predict the future. Two, I use speech to text and I really don't care to correct his name. You knew who I was talking about, right? Okay then.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of players rushing out to always get the highest price.
This is NOT that.

He's 5 years into his current deal and signed a great longer-term deal to help the Cowboys (and him) spread out the dollars.
The assumption when a great player does that is that he will usually get re-negotiated late in the deal.
But it's WAY out of whack right now
And he's been playing on no guarantees for awhile too--which means if he had a career-ending injury, he'd be screwed.
It works both ways

If you disagree, that's fine.
Okay I will agree with you on this. He does deserve a raise.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Imagine a 33 year old guard making 14 million dollars per year trying to hold your team hostage.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
A team can drop you on a dime despite a contract being signed, but a player asking to renegotiate a contract is absolutely forbidden and makes people "lose respect".

Some of you on here are in your near 60s with this lame thought process. Get a grip and act your age.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Except guys at important positions of need hold out and then get traded somewhere for the new deal they want or get a new deal from their current team all the time so maybe it’s you who has an antiquated take on how “this really works”
OR NOT

so where is this big list of offensive linemen or other key positions who threatened a hold out and got a bigger deal somewhere else?? show me in the NFL this big list that this works every time ,

i can tell you a lot of guys get cut or traded but at the next stop don't get a larger deal but somehow, they feel vindicated...

Sydla

Reaction score
Dude was a good player and was worth the 14 million per year we have been paying him. He is 33 and his body is starting to fail him. He know it and is looking to cash in one last time. Let him play out his contract and see what happens after that. Why do we always have to end up eating bad contracts every time. Why not go out on top for once.
He was literally an all pro again last year so this talk of his slide at 33 seems kind of strange. OGs can hang on for longer than other positions so if they extend him through say 2026 or 2027, I am not really concerned about it being some god awful contract weighing the franchise down.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys made Martin the highest paid OG in NFL at the time of his re-signing,

but i believe this is not about " unfairness " but more so, that he's up there in age, no longer
the dominant player he used to be because of age and wear & tear, ..and the NFL cap value is sky rocketing with the new TV contracts in placed or about to be in placed.

So get it while the getting is good ...

Sydla

Reaction score
Imagine a 33 year old guard making 14 million dollars per year trying to hold your team hostage.
One, we have no idea if he's holding the franchise hostage.

Two, at 33, he was still a 1st team all pro last year, played 17 games and was arguably our best OL. Everyone, from pundits to front office personnel still view him as a legit Top 5 OG in this league.

It's kind of funny watching people suddenly try to act like Martin is now just some run of the mill OG who is going to fall off the map in the next season now that he apparently asked for an extension. LOL.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He is holding out because his guaranteed money is all gone and his base salary in 2024 is 13 million. this means he has to play well this year just to get his next year at 13 million. He feels his old bones falling apart. he knows he may not even get the 13 million for next year let alone another long term deal with massive signing bonus. We will extend him as we always do. He will fall apart as they always do. We will end up neededing to release him as we always do. We will eat massive amounts of dead money as we always do. It is the way.

HungryLion

Reaction score
One, we have no idea if he's holding the franchise hostage.

Two, at 33, he was still a 1st team all pro last year, played 17 games and was arguably our best OL. Everyone, from pundits to front office personnel still view him as a legit Top 5 OG in this league.

It's kind of funny watching people suddenly try to act like Martin is now just some run of the mill OG who is going to fall off the map in the next season now that he apparently asked for an extension. LOL.

Nothing triggers some of these folks around here like players trying to get paid more.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is holding out because his guaranteed money is all gone and his base salary in 2024 is 13 million. this means he has to play well this year just to get his next year at 13 million. He feels his old bones falling apart. he knows he may not even get the 13 million for next year let alone another long term deal with massive signing bonus. We will extend him as we always do. He will fall apart as they always do. We will end up neededing to release him as we always do. We will eat massive amounts of dead money as we always do. It is the way.
Funny watching people talk out their arse.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I love seeing people say “the players need to honor their contracts”

This is the NFL. The teams don’t honor all their contracts either.

Many of these same fans will be the first to say “cut him” the minute a player is overpaid relative to their production and the team can save some cap dollars.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He’s definitely the best player on the team.

The only player you could legit argue is better is Parsons.
Parsons is the best player on the team by a landslide. It's not accurate to refer to Martin as such.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I love seeing people say “the players need to honor their contracts”

This is the NFL. The teams don’t honor all their contracts either.

Many of these same fans will be the first to say “cut him” the minute a player is overpaid relative to their production and the team can save some cap dollars.

The hypocrisy is amazing.
It can cut both ways ..... but NFL teams do pay out all the dollars contractually owed whether the player earned them or not. It's not unreasonable to expect players to honor the deal when the team declines to adjust the salary to current top dollar.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Zack should have thought about that before he signed an extension....Sounds like my ex....but hey, that's the NFL... players need to get all they can get during their short shelf life in the league. Can't blame him for that. But the pie is only so big, less for others.