Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

phildadon86

Reaction score
Romo used to throw for a lot more picks, but I'm sure you were fine with that since it was Romo. But since you brought it up, I have said often that Dak should take a paycut. Big time. He's not worth paying more than $30 - $32 mil/year. He already got the big contract, plus he's about to turn 30 years old. Both Dak and Zack need to take less if they want to remain Dallas Cowboys! Would you agree?
100 percent. And don’t assume I was a Romo apologist I am not.

Sydla

Reaction score
Know what? That Zack is being greedy and pulling a Zeke? Sure, he only had 1 penalty attributed to him, but many times he got burned or whiffed on blocks last season. Plus, he's not as mobile as he used to be due to age and wear-n-tear. You would have to be a fool to pay him top league position pay as he is demanding at this point of his career.
Many times. LOL.

He was a first team all pro OG just last season.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're really stretching at this point. Zeke is no longer here. If Zack pulls a Zeke and sits out of attending training camp just because he wants to get paid tops at his position throughout the whole league at his age, I would trade him immediately if I could get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for him. No way is he worth top NFL position pay, especially with so many young bucks' contract renewals coming up.
He’s not worth too positional pay but I’d trade him for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

You typed that with a straight face. LOL.

CWR

Reaction score
I love seeing people say “the players need to honor their contracts”

This is the NFL. The teams don’t honor all their contracts either.

Many of these same fans will be the first to say “cut him” the minute a player is overpaid relative to their production and the team can save some cap dollars.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

Hes been a bargain for much of his career. The FO should have found middle ground already.

We've done a couple of make up contracts in the past and I hope that isn't what is about to happen. Give him a bump, but don't wreck the future.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Just read this (sorry if previously posted):

"The Cowboys already knew they had to extend Martin. He’s on the books for over $23 million in 2024 so Dallas was sure to add time and money to the deal to ease that impact."

Quite the hit in 2024.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
A team can drop you on a dime despite a contract being signed, but a player asking to renegotiate a contract is absolutely forbidden and makes people "lose respect".

Some of you on here are in your near 60s with this lame thought process. Get a grip and act your age.
A team cannot “drop you on a dime” if the contract doesn’t allow it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He’s not worth too positional pay but I’d trade him for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

You typed that with a straight face. LOL.
So you 100% agreed with me but had to throw your little jibe since it came from me? Got it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol. Here come the insults. You have no idea what I know or who I am. But assume I’m some dummy who knows nothing because I don’t agree with you?

You were already told, consider the source.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It can cut both ways ..... but NFL teams do pay out all the dollars contractually owed whether the player earned them or not. It's not unreasonable to expect players to honor the deal when the team declines to adjust the salary to current top dollar.
It does cut both ways. That’s why I frankly don’t understand why some people get all bent out of shape about players who try and use negotiating tactics to make more money. As if teams don’t use every tool in the toolbox to do the same thing.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Parsons is the best player on the team by a landslide. It's not accurate to refer to Martin as such.
i love parsons. He is my favorite player. But by a landslide? No

Even if parsons is the best player on the team. Martin is the second best. Future first ballot hall of famer. Best OL on the team. Consistently an all pro level player.

No need to really split hairs.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Totally agree.

Zack Martin should have kept his mouth shut and waited until after 2023 to demand a raise or another contract extension. Instead, he is pulling a Zeke while still having years left on his current contract.

If Zack Martin sits out of training camp, I would quickly look for a trading partner and demand a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks while trading him. The Cowboys need to set the example to the rest of the team, including Dak, that the team will not be held hostage to their greedy players, especially if you already are under a big contract which you previously agreed to.

Honor your contract or get traded away. Good luck. The team comes first over any player. Enough with the player threats as well. Any player can be replaced.
They would not come close to getting that. He may be your best player on offense, but he’s not a QB for God’s sake

Last edited: