Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

mcmvp

Reaction score
He’s not worth too positional pay but I’d trade him for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

You typed that with a straight face. LOL.
Pretty much what I was thinking… Unreal

Xeven

Reaction score
The reason Jerry has any rings is because of the massive OL they had in the 90’s. Jerry will never win until he figures that out. I do not think he will.

Need 4 ZM’s to win not one so not really matter,

Cowboys History: The Offensive Line That Made The Triplets

“Arguably the greatest years for the Dallas Cowboys franchise were the early nineties, when they won three Super Bowls in a span of four years. It was the rise of the Triplets, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin. But they likely would never have become as famous or successful if they had not had one of the best offensive lines in the history of the league blocking for them.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-at-the-offensive-line-that-made-the-triplets

Last edited:

Sage3030

Reaction score
After all these years of owners not honoring the contracts they agreed to with players, I really don’t care if a player does the same.

The Cowboys could cut Zack tomorrow, while still under contract. How many years did zeke have left on his? There’s no honor from the owners, so there doesn’t need to be any from the players.

Reactions: CWR

Tussinman

Reaction score
They would not come close to getting that. He may be your best player on offense, but he’s not a QB for God’s sake
Plus he's got 145 games of wear n tear and you'd have to give him towards the top range of the market salary wise

J_Allen

Reaction score
The reason Jerry has any rings is because of the massive OL they had in the 90’s. Jerry will never win until he figures that out. I do not think he will.

“Arguably the greatest years for the Dallas Cowboys franchise were the early nineties, when they won three Super Bowls in a span of four years. It was the rise of the Triplets, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin. But they likely would never have become as famous or successful if they had not had one of the best offensive lines in the history of the league blocking for them.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-at-the-offensive-line-that-made-the-triplets
Jerry didn't win any Super Bowls, those belonged to Jimmy - all three of them. And it was a team effort. We had great offensive lines up until the very late 90s and didn't win a thing. They were a big reason but they weren't the only reason.

Xeven

Reaction score
Jerry didn't win any Super Bowls, those belonged to Jimmy - all three of them. And it was a team effort. We had great offensive lines up until the very late 90s and didn't win a thing. They were a big reason but they weren't the only reason.
I do not disagree with you really but without that or similar OL there would be no rings and yes it was team effort + Jimmy. Not sure they would have rings without many on that team but that OL was essential.

ZM can’t do it alone,

CCBoy

Reaction score
:popcorn:

CCBoy

Reaction score

The 'wall' was made completely out of other team cast offs and unknown drafted players. The Cowboys were lucky to achieved such a strong group in a gambler's table. They paved the way up front.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Forgive me, but did Martin actually say this? Or, was it his agent?
I could toss Schefter like a lawn dart which is much further than I
would trust him.

That said, Martin is the 4th highest paid RG in the NFL in annual salary.
2nd highest in total money. He's the 3rd highest paid player on the team.
Definitely seems out of character. Maybe move some salary to guaranteed
money and/or add a couple years to his contract.

CWR

Reaction score
After all these years of owners not honoring the contracts they agreed to with players, I really don’t care if a player does the same.

The Cowboys could cut Zack tomorrow, while still under contract. How many years did zeke have left on his? There’s no honor from the owners, so there doesn’t need to be any from the players.

They are all out to make money. We side with ownership only because we want everyone to play for cheap and give us the ability to build a super roster, which will never happen anyway. To pretend there is a moral high ground in this salary cap era is silly. It's every man for himself, whether we are talking owners or players.

raven55

Reaction score
the guy is good but when a player makes over 75 mil so far and wants a new deal even if he is signed through 2024 let the bum go its just a lot of greed

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It does cut both ways. That’s why I frankly don’t understand why some people get all bent out of shape about players who try and use negotiating tactics to make more money. As if teams don’t use every tool in the toolbox to do the same thing.
For me, it's not so much bent for me but I do believe there is a balance between being greedy, selfish, bad teammate and getting a fair shake. I try not to speak too strongly because we don't know what was said behind closed doors. He may have been told or led to believe they would do certain things or he might just be trying to get more.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys will probably just call his bluff and see if he holds out for camp. He might for a while, but there’s no way he’s not suiting up and playing in week one. I just don’t see it.

The only things the Cowboys really have to be worried about here is the perception in the locker room, and that is not necessarily a small thing.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
i love parsons. He is my favorite player. But by a landslide? No

Even if parsons is the best player on the team. Martin is the second best. Future first ballot hall of famer. Best OL on the team. Consistently an all pro level player.

No need to really split hairs.
Just to explain why we may differ on that, I'm not as high on Martin's performance in recent years as a lot of folks, so I would take Parsons over him without hesitation. But no need to get into the weeds as you say.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The Cowboys could cut Zack tomorrow, while still under contract.
But they would still pay him any unpaid dollars due him. That's why players and agents like guaranteed & bonus monies. They can get all or the large bulk of the cash whether they ever reach the end of the deal as specified in time.

Teams generally don't cut productive players with money still due them unless there are other circumstances.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Just to explain why we may differ on that, I'm not as high on Martin's performance in recent years as a lot of folks, so I would take Parsons over him without hesitation. But no need to get into the weeds as you say.
Martin's paid his dues, in performance and in helping the team cap wise. You give him what he wants, even if it's an extra few million...you keep your core players happy...this is how you continue building the culture of guys understanding they don't need top dollar but can take less and still get what they are worth here...as stated above he is #4 right now, sure he doesn't want to be #1 but a bump to #2 or #3 would likely be a few M in GTD.