Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

mcmvp

Reaction score
Everyone on this forum needs to remember that this Schefter news quietly came out the same day that Madden had ranked and put Zack Martin into their 99 club. Coincidence? I think not.
At the end of the day, does it really matter whether or not it’s a coincidence?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Martin's paid his dues, in performance and in helping the team cap wise. You give him what he wants, even if it's an extra few million...you keep your core players happy...this is how you continue building the culture of guys understanding they don't need top dollar but can take less and still get what they are worth here...as stated above he is #4 right now, sure he doesn't want to be #1 but a bump to #2 or #3 would likely be a few M in GTD.
I am ok with that mindset ... to a point. As I said, we really don't know all the details.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think Jerry will take care of Zack. This business about the team being "not interested ..." I take that as the agent talking. I think the agent went to Jerry/Stephen with a ridiculous proposal that caused them to spit coffee (or bourbon) through their noses .. Then he hung up and waited for them to call him back and they didn't. So he's going to take it to the media.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think Jerry will take care of Zack. This business about the team being "not interested ..." I take that as the agent talking. I think the agent went to Jerry/Stephen with a ridiculous proposal that caused them to spit coffee (or bourbon) through their noses .. Then he hung up and waited for them to call him back and they didn't. So he's going to take it to the media.
I think so, perhaps in a means to get more cap room to sign Diggs and Lamb.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
To all the players that do this they signed the contract the owners do not have to acquiesce to it I'm sorry you think that but there's a thing called integrity and when you sign something it's called a contract it's legally binding of course Jerry might come to the table and talk about a little bonus but don't say that every player has a right to come back interband more money even though he signed the contract that means they shouldn't even have contracts what good is the paper it's even written on? To say it's absurd you're obviously not a business person this is a business this is a giant corporation the NFL is $100 billion business and each one of these 32 teams franchises have a salary cap to work with and they have a lot of people to pay you cannot just give in to every demand or it will become out of control do you not understand this I mean maybe you have no general business acumen.. That's what it sounds like you just want to stick up for the players but forget there's a business side of it I didn't say he wasn't worth redoing his contract I'm telling you that threatening to hold out is a bad way of going about it and I don't even believe the story is 100% true and again he may get his stuff redone with a little bit more up front and bonus or something but again I'm sticking to my reply and you to say it's absurd meaning you have no clue on how business is run and you're not keeping in mind what a contract is and the fact is the NFL is a hard salary cap they literally have other players to pay... You know huge contracts coming up for Trayvon diggs Micah Parsons CD lamb possible restructure with Prescott there's not an endless amount of money on a hard salary cap.

No one's saying the man doesn't deserve a little bit more money but I'm telling you it's the wrong way to go about it and I'll say it again reread because I'm not going to copy and paste what I already wrote that you replied to I'm sticking to that 100%..

Please stop telling me how absurd I am when you obviously don't even have a clue when it comes to how this really works....
Football players are businesses unto themselves. Their bodies and talents are what they are selling, and it's in short supply and has a very short shelf life. Make what you can while you can, and screw the fans and the owners, because the minute you can't produce what you once did, they will spit you out and forget about you before you hit the ground.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
To all the players that do this they signed the contract the owners do not have to acquiesce to it I'm sorry you think that but there's a thing called integrity and when you sign something it's called a contract it's legally binding of course Jerry might come to the table and talk about a little bonus but don't say that every player has a right to come back interband more money even though he signed the contract that means they shouldn't even have contracts what good is the paper it's even written on? To say it's absurd you're obviously not a business person this is a business this is a giant corporation the NFL is $100 billion business and each one of these 32 teams franchises have a salary cap to work with and they have a lot of people to pay you cannot just give in to every demand or it will become out of control do you not understand this I mean maybe you have no general business acumen.. That's what it sounds like you just want to stick up for the players but forget there's a business side of it I didn't say he wasn't worth redoing his contract I'm telling you that threatening to hold out is a bad way of going about it and I don't even believe the story is 100% true and again he may get his stuff redone with a little bit more up front and bonus or something but again I'm sticking to my reply and you to say it's absurd meaning you have no clue on how business is run and you're not keeping in mind what a contract is and the fact is the NFL is a hard salary cap they literally have other players to pay... You know huge contracts coming up for Trayvon diggs Micah Parsons CD lamb possible restructure with Prescott there's not an endless amount of money on a hard salary cap.

No one's saying the man doesn't deserve a little bit more money but I'm telling you it's the wrong way to go about it and I'll say it again reread because I'm not going to copy and paste what I already wrote that you replied to I'm sticking to that 100%..

Please stop telling me how absurd I am when you obviously don't even have a clue when it comes to how this really works....
Football players are businesses unto themselves. Their bodies and talents are what they are selling, and it's in short supply and has a very short shelf life. Make what you can while you can, and screw the fans and the owners, because the minute you can't produce what you once did, they will spit you out and forget about you before you hit the ground

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Martin's paid his dues, in performance and in helping the team cap wise. You give him what he wants, even if it's an extra few million...you keep your core players happy...this is how you continue building the culture of guys understanding they don't need top dollar but can take less and still get what they are worth here...as stated above he is #4 right now, sure he doesn't want to be #1 but a bump to #2 or #3 would likely be a few M in GTD.
If $1-$2.5 mil more per year, that sounds doable. If Zack wants more than that per year increase, no dice.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If $1-$2.5 mil more per year, that sounds doable. If Zack wants more than that per year increase, no dice.
Lol. My god. You realize what happens to the season and the locker room if that happens? Martin is one of the most decorated and loved leaders on this team. You piss him off and you can kiss this season goodbye. You pay for the trenches. Guys like Martin don’t come around everyday

phildadon86

Reaction score
This is the first we are hearing of it but I’m sure this has been brewing and not because of Madden lol.
It could also be something to drum up attention on the cowboys because for once this off-season there hasn’t been any drama. No off field stuff, no dumb things. As we have seen lately a lot there doesn’t need to be truth to a story for it to be put in print and posted online. Neither camp has confirmed it and the cowboys official account congratulated Martin on his 99 rating. Lol. Make of that what you will

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Who knows what's really going on. Whatever it is, it will be forgotten by opening day.

Now would be a terrible time to play hardball with him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol. My god. You realize what happens to the season and the locker room if that happens? Martin is one of the most decorated and loved leaders on this team. You piss him off and you can kiss this season goodbye. You pay for the trenches. Guys like Martin don’t come around everyday
He's already getting paid. Very good chance Tyler Smith at Left Guard will perform better this season. I understand Zack wanting more money, but at his age and wear-n-tear, it would be a risky move to pay him top pay. That is what he's looking for, and that is simply unworkable.