Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If true, I am not really surprised. The front has, once again, outsmarted themselves by publicly talking about re-signing Lamb, Diggs and Parsons, as well as the muted conversations about extending Prescott.

There's a finite pot of money and he is probably thinking (much like Zeke) let's renegotiate before all these other high priced players get their contracts worked.

I tend to fall into the arena that, a contract is a contract. The Cowboys capitulated to Zeke and set an unhealthy precedent.

And, in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
After all these years of owners not honoring the contracts they agreed to with players, I really don’t care if a player does the same.

The Cowboys could cut Zack tomorrow, while still under contract. How many years did zeke have left on his? There’s no honor from the owners, so there doesn’t need to be any from the players.
Is there an example of an NFL franchise violating the terms of a player contract and the NFLPA not stepping in thereby allowing it to happen?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
So is Martin money hungry and selfish for doing this right now right before camp like people suggested Zeke was?
33 posts in and yours was the first mention of "selfish," albeit in a sarcastic way. Most of what I see is people saying to pay him. Interesting and yet ..... not.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Lol. Martin was the first OL all pro in his rookie season. And hasn’t left that position since. But now Tyler is better? Amazing
Father time is undefeated. Accolades continue on name often after the play isn't quite worthy.

Tyler can move people against their will. Exactly what Zack could do when he first came in the league.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He's already getting paid. Very good chance Tyler Smith at Left Guard will perform better this season. I understand Zack wanting more money, but at his age and wear-n-tear, it would be a risky move to pay him top pay. That is what he's looking for, and that is simply unworkable.
He was an all pro last season. And you need to relax on the Tyler smith anointing. Martin in his rookie year was the first OL in like 40 years to be named to the 1st team all pro. Tyler smith. Not so much. Not saying he can’t get there but y’all need to stop with this.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Father time is undefeated. Accolades continue on name often after the play isn't quite worthy.

Tyler can move people against their will. Exactly what Zack could do when he first came in the league.
I see. Tyler smith was top 5 in penalties in his rookie year. Martin has had 6 in his career. Keep up the astute observation

CCBoy

Reaction score
Is there an example of an NFL franchise violating the terms of a player contract and the NFLPA not stepping in thereby allowing it to happen?
The Uniform Commercial Code determines enforceability of a contract and what is binding on both parties that agree to the contract. If one part was in violation of any binding elements determining enforcability violation, it's to court and major penalties involved. Jerry Jones has done his homework there.

No, the Player's Association would not pause to secure a federal level of violation for a contract. No hesitations here.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The 2023 season is already in jeopardy due to a suspect OL, relying a two starters at tackle coming off significant injuries. Smith has not had a good run of reliability of late and I doubt Steele is anywhere near 100% week one.

Take Martin out of the mix (he knows this) and the offense is toast.

Pay the man!

Sage3030

Reaction score
But they would still pay him any unpaid dollars due him. That's why players and agents like guaranteed & bonus monies. They can get all or the large bulk of the cash whether they ever reach the end of the deal as specified in time.

Teams generally don't cut productive players with money still due them unless there are other circumstances.

The fact they can speaks volumes. They just cut zeke and he had time left on his. They do not honor contracts all the time.

Also, as long as there’s no guarantee money left(as with Zeke) the player isn’t getting crap.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I see. Tyler smith was top 5 in penalties in his rookie year. Martin has had 6 in his career. Keep up the astute observation
Well, Tyler was known to have some penalty issues coming into the league. Certainly that is something he needs to clean up. But that's only one aspect of his game. How many of those came at G?

Do you really believe that Martin has only committed 6 in his career? Or that name recognition comes into play?

Tell ya what, you show me videos of Martin displacing folks last year and I'll show you videos of Tyler displacing people and we'll see who runs out of clips first. If that is too much work for you, quickly name 5 jaw dropping plays ZM made last year. I mean off top of your head. That should be easy for a first team All Pro right?

Not saying he's not still a very good player .... but he isn't the difference maker he was early in his career. Tyler is in that portion of his career.

Desperado

Reaction score
Stephen: "I think he forgot players get a 10% discount at the concession stand."
(limit once per season)

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
Pretty funny reading some of the overreactions and clown takes here, mostly coming from the same people who ironically would have no problem giving 50M/yr to our already overpaid inept QB.

Just pay Zack and be done with it, the whole offense instantly crumbles without him and everyone knows it.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
To all the players that do this they signed the contract the owners do not have to acquiesce to it I'm sorry you think that but there's a thing called integrity and when you sign something it's called a contract it's legally binding of course Jerry might come to the table and talk about a little bonus but don't say that every player has a right to come back interband more money even though he signed the contract that means they shouldn't even have contracts what good is the paper it's even written on? To say it's absurd you're obviously not a business person this is a business this is a giant corporation the NFL is $100 billion business and each one of these 32 teams franchises have a salary cap to work with and they have a lot of people to pay you cannot just give in to every demand or it will become out of control do you not understand this I mean maybe you have no general business acumen.. That's what it sounds like you just want to stick up for the players but forget there's a business side of it I didn't say he wasn't worth redoing his contract I'm telling you that threatening to hold out is a bad way of going about it and I don't even believe the story is 100% true and again he may get his stuff redone with a little bit more up front and bonus or something but again I'm sticking to my reply and you to say it's absurd meaning you have no clue on how business is run and you're not keeping in mind what a contract is and the fact is the NFL is a hard salary cap they literally have other players to pay... You know huge contracts coming up for Trayvon diggs Micah Parsons CD lamb possible restructure with Prescott there's not an endless amount of money on a hard salary cap.

No one's saying the man doesn't deserve a little bit more money but I'm telling you it's the wrong way to go about it and I'll say it again reread because I'm not going to copy and paste what I already wrote that you replied to I'm sticking to that 100%..

Please stop telling me how absurd I am when you obviously don't even have a clue when it comes to how this really works....
The major flaw in your argument is that while i agree with you 100% that it's a "business" but you are only accepting it's a business on the owners side. It's a business for Zach Martin as well.
The issue on honoring your word when you sign a contract would be fair if the owners held their word as well. The owners don't and back out of contracts they signed as well all the time. Fair is fair IMO

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The fact they can speaks volumes. They just cut zeke and he had time left on his. They do not honor contracts all the time.

Also, as long as there’s no guarantee money left(as with Zeke) the player isn’t getting crap.
Don't understand your point. Zeke & his agent left the bargaining table knowing what he was likely to pocket over the course of the contract regardless of the "terms" released to the public. If he'd got hurt the first practice rep after signing the contract, would they have offered to prorate the money guaranteed?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He was an all pro last season. And you need to relax on the Tyler smith anointing. Martin in his rookie year was the first OL in like 40 years to be named to the 1st team all pro. Tyler smith. Not so much. Not saying he can’t get there but y’all need to stop with this.
I don't have to relax for anything or anyone. I'm serious when I say if Tyler Smith plays at Left Guard and Zack Martin is still here at Right Guard, I bet Tyler will perform just as good as Martin at Guard in 2023.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Just to explain why we may differ on that, I'm not as high on Martin's performance in recent years as a lot of folks, so I would take Parsons over him without hesitation. But no need to get into the weeds as you say.
I do agree in that Parsons is an ascending player and Martin is on the back 9 of his career.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think he wants a restructure with a raise in pay. Inflation!
It is hard to get by on a mere 13 mil per year!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How does the All Pro in 2022 Zack Martin look on this play? How does rookie Tyler Smith look?

Guess which one of them looked like an All Pro while the other looked like a rookie?

:popcorn: