Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"don't worry about a man's money, pay the man" he makes the whole right side and center better because of his play.

Sydla

Reaction score
The film. He doesn't move people and demoralize them like he once did. He loses reps. At one point that was like a unicorn. When Quinten Nelson is right, he dominates people like Zack used to.

He doesn't win reps at nearly the rate he used to. Now the fat part of bell curve is a lot of reps that are more accurately graded as stalemates. He didn't get beat per se but he also didn't win.

Which is in line with a good, consistent player but not an elite, dominant player that by himself is an edge for your offense.
Except experts that look at the tape and watch him play say otherwise. Again, he was a first team All Pro. ESPN polled scouts and coaches and front office personnel - guys who watch tape for a living and scout for a living - said he's the best interior OL in football.

So again, why should we disregard that and accept McKDaddy's view that the tape shows something different?

Sydla

Reaction score
You're full of so much ****, dude.
I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here but what he's literally saying is his analysis apparently is better than the dozens and dozens of all pro voters, scouts, coaches, front office personnel that have rated him as one of the best, if not the best, interior OL in football.

LOL.

Sydla

Reaction score
Show me the domination then.
The onus is on you. Everything publicly available has pretty muich shown that Martin was arguably the best interior OL in football last year.

You are the one claiming he's not as good as what other experts are saying. So you should be the one to then back that claim up with real data, videos, analysis, etc.

Sydla

Reaction score
People want to give him a blank check because "he's our best player". Just insane.
Other than a few knuckleheads, has anyone really suggested just pay him whatever the heck he wants?

It seems most have taken the position he's still an elite OG that probably deserves an extension at a reasonable pay (relative to other highly paid interior OL). I don't think that's such a bizarre position to take.

If anyone is being insane, it's the people who popped into this thread and didn't like he's looking for a new contract so they decided to try to argue he's not all that great anymore. Now that's the insanity in this thread.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Except experts that look at the tape and watch him play say otherwise. Again, he was a first team All Pro. ESPN polled scouts and coaches and front office personnel - guys who watch tape for a living and scout for a living - said he's the best interior OL in football.

So again, why should we disregard that and accept McKDaddy's view that the tape shows something different?
Did they call him dominant?

Ya'll need to go put in the work. But honestly you should have picked up on it just watching the games.

Sydla

Reaction score
Did they call him dominant?

Ya'll need to go put in the work. But honestly you should have picked up on it just watching the games.
LOL. This is some real hairsplitting here. They ranked him the #1 interior OL in football but he's not dominant.

Hahahaha. OK. Oh I forgot, last year was a real down year for interior OL play.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Shouldn't be hard for you guys to show me something if it's all so dominant?

Are you disregarding post 615?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
LOL. This is some real hairsplitting here. They ranked him the #1 interior OL in football but he's not dominant.

Hahahaha. OK. Oh I forgot, last year was a real down year for interior OL play.
Hairsplitting? Isn't that what I have said all along??? That he's not a dominant player any longer. Regardless of where anyone ranks him, he's not the best interior OL in football.

You do realize he was ranked 4th in 2021. Do you think he got better? Or maybe other folks had issues.... which is exactly what I said.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Deserves a pay raise for sure.
Yes.

His 2023 money isn’t right.

They just need to extend and rebalance the base.

They already have some dead cap money at the end.

Maybe he has money problems. The restructure bonus is supposedly paid at the signing. Maybe he went through it already.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
CUP12.png
spotrac

Martin's last contract was signed in 2018 when he agreed to a six-year, $84 million deal with $40 million guaranteed. At the time, it was the most guaranteed money ever given to an NFL guard and made Martin the highest-paid guard in the league.

It doesn’t take a bookkeeping wizard to see that Martin has turned into quite the bargain for the Cowboys. Even at the age of 32, he remains one of the top guards in the league and it is easy to understand why he is unhappy with his current deal. The market has changed considerably and now the top guards in the league are making almost 50% more than he is.

Some of the money lost by paying Martin more now could be recouped by the savings from his price down the road. For example, if his average annual salary went up from $14 million to say, $17 million that would push him inside the top five paid guards, but by the time 2025 rolled around, he could once again be a bargain.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ining-camp-contract-extension-top-rate-guards

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Old fatties want more money, young softies want more money, Jerry wants more attention, Cowboys football at its finest.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes.

His 2023 money isn’t right.

They just need to extend and rebalance the base.

They already have some dead cap money at the end.

Maybe he has money problems. The restructure bonus is supposedly paid at the signing. Maybe he went through it already.
What’s not right about his money in 2023?

He will pocket the 6th most cash in 2023 amongst OGs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hairsplitting? Isn't that what I have said all along??? That he's not a dominant player any longer. Regardless of where anyone ranks him, he's not the best interior OL in football.

You do realize he was ranked 4th in 2021. Do you think he got better? Or maybe other folks had issues.... which is exactly what I said.
ESPNs poll of scouts/coaches/FO had him ranked 2nd in 2022, 2nd in 2021 and 2nd in 2020 (all behind Quenton Nelson).

He’s still an elite OG. LOL.

T-RO

Reaction score
Zack signed his contract. Time to man up and play. Multi-millions are more than enough.

I expect he will. If he doesn't...I'm a fan no more.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think you’re missing my point entirely. Teams do not honor contracts all the time, typically multiple times a year. Because of that, there’s no reason for the players to do the same.
I guess you'd be right depending on your definition of honor. I think what people are trying to say is that teams don't violate any terms in the contract. But players have every right to ask for more. Or not play and not get paid if they choose.

Flamma

Reaction score
Zack signed his contract. Time to man up and play. Multi-millions are more than enough.

I expect he will. If he doesn't...I'm a fan no more.
He's got a lot of leverage, and he's using it.