Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

blueblood70

Reaction score
Good

let the old Wiley veteran sit relax, take training camp off ,not play much in the preseason and then two weeks before game one, I doubt we're gonna be talking about this much....

so let's let it rest because no one's going to agree on how this should be handled but I can agree on one thing Zach Martin is a stand-up guy with a lot of integrity and he may just want to make a point he wants some more money....

he's probably not going to get as much as he wants but he will be here game one, new deal or not....​

McKDaddy

Reaction score
ESPNs poll of scouts/coaches/FO had him ranked 2nd in 2022, 2nd in 2021 and 2nd in 2020 (all behind Quenton Nelson).

He’s still an elite OG. LOL.
Same folks that misjudge player evaluations all the time? How much time \ thought do you think they put into these rankings so media can keep the news cycle spinning?

In last year's players poll, Nelson was 28, Bitonio was 55 and Martin was 68. When you are in the 30's or lower, you are dominant. 68 lines up with what I have said all along, good but not dominant.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What’s not right about his money in 2023?

He will pocket the 6th most cash in 2023 amongst OGs.
I’d guess the signing/restructure bonus is spent.

So his base/game checks for 2023 is likely all he gets.

1.7 million minus taxes.

800-900K divided by 17

53,000 per game.

catiii

Reaction score
jess-haynie__auto-draft-205-scaled-1024x683.jpeg.webp
MY EEEEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"his contract and the team’s lack of interest in restructuring it..."

This is ridiculous, if I understand correctly, he's not asking for a whole new contract, just give him a raise.

Geez, is that so hard?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Zack signed his contract. Time to man up and play. Multi-millions are more than enough.

I expect he will. If he doesn't...I'm a fan no more.
How many years a Pro Bowler and currently behind the top 8 guards in the NFL in pay, as much as nearly 50% less pay? He should be much closer to current standards and that even will be a low tide mark in a couple of more years. C'mon, back the studs!

kskboys

Reaction score
"his contract and the team’s lack of interest in restructuring it..."

This is ridiculous, if I understand correctly, he's not asking for a whole new contract, just give him a raise.

Geez, is that so hard?
If you want to keep Diggs/Lamb/Parsons, yes, it makes it very hard.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d guess the signing/restructure bonus is spent.

So his base/game checks for 2023 is likely all he gets.

1.7 million minus taxes.

800-900K divided by 17

53,000 per game.
Irrelevant. All that matters is the average, not what a player makes in a certain year.

visionary

Reaction score
After all these years of owners not honoring the contracts they agreed to with players, I really don’t care if a player does the same.

The Cowboys could cut Zack tomorrow, while still under contract. How many years did zeke have left on his? There’s no honor from the owners, so there doesn’t need to be any from the players.
Yeah, in the most litigious country in the history of the world, the owners don’t honor the contracts and millionaire players just don’t sue them for no reason

That makes total sense

LOL, learn to read and think before posting

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, in the most litigious country in the history of the world, the owners don’t honor the contracts and millionaire players just don’t sue them for no reason

That makes total sense

LOL, learn to read and think before posting
I cannot comprehend why people even say such crapp.

The ONLY times I've seen the owners trying to get out of a contract is when the player has done something heinous such as PeepeeSlap or Vick or Ray Rice.

NFL teams have to get permission from the NFL/Player'sU to get out of a contract, and when they do attempt to, it's because the player has taken actions that void the contract. And then they still have to get permission.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Good

let the old Wiley veteran sit relax, take training camp off ,not play much in the preseason and then two weeks before game one, I doubt we're gonna be talking about this much....

so let's let it rest because no one's going to agree on how this should be handled but I can agree on one thing Zach Martin is a stand-up guy with a lot of integrity and he may just want to make a point he wants some more money....

he's probably not going to get as much as he wants but he will be here game one, new deal or not....​
CBA says he pays $50,000 for every day of practice he misses during training camp. And the Cowboys do not have the option of excusing it. He wanted the security of a six year deal. I’m sure his representation was pleased take the 3% of the $84 million. Martin needs a smarter agent or a dumber team owner.

kskboys

Reaction score
CBA says he pays $50,000 for every day of practice he misses during training camp. And the Cowboys do not have the option of excusing it. He wanted the security of a six year deal. I’m sure his representation was pleased take the 3% of the $84 million. Martin needs a smarter agent or a dumber team owner.
Why would you say that? It was the top of the pay chart for an OG when it was done and give him generational wealth.

Greed is the problem, not the contract.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Why would you say that? It was the top of the pay chart for an OG when it was done and give him generational wealth.

Greed is the problem, not the contract.
Very few players seek or receive six year deals. Jerry Jones may have a lot of detractors here, but if he or any other NFL ownership group hands out a top of market six year deal to any player it is only because the owner believes it is in the team‘s best interest. If you had to bet who has the better business acumen, Jerry Jones or Zach Martin’s agent who would you put your money on? That agent saw 3% of $84 million, nothing else, Jerry saw offensive lineman pay scale likely to increase in the near term. They’re both sipping Blue Label right now, Zach is trying to figure out what happened.

Flamma

Reaction score
Very few players seek or receive six year deals. Jerry Jones may have a lot of detractors here, but if he or any other NFL ownership group hands out a top of market six year deal to any player it is only because the owner believes it is in the team‘s best interest. If you had to bet who has the better business acumen, Jerry Jones or Zach Martin’s agent who would you put your money on? That agent saw 3% of $84 million, nothing else, Jerry saw offensive lineman pay scale likely to increase in the near term. They’re both sipping Blue Label right now, Zach is trying to figure out what happened.
It doesn't take a savant in business to know by the end of a 6 year contract in the NFL, that you're no longer going to be making market value. This should not come as a surprise to any adult.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you want to keep Diggs/Lamb/Parsons, yes, it makes it very hard.
This is a good point. GMs work with the numbers in front of them. The forecast and act according to the numbers. This is unforeseen and can cause problems they weren't prepared for.