Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

John813

Reaction score
Of course he is. Zeke did this and they were up in arms and called him selfish. Martin does it and they are literally on their knees begging him to come back lol. “We need you…..”.

Has Martin left to Cabo to train? I think sentiment may change once he's actually missing camp.
Besides, there's big difference between the two players. One played a position that a good amount on the board didn't want to see the team pay a huge 2nd contract to.
The other plays a position that can last into the 30's. While Zeke had a great start to his career, his accolades are dwarfed by what Zach has done here.

That being said, I don't care if they want to get into a battle with him over his contract.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Guys, this is just agent posturing. He’s just getting his client up to the trough with CeeDee, Diggs and Micah.

Don’t worry, they’ve always taken care of Zack and will continue to do so.

He’s only off 2m from the top paid guard in the league and that’s after four years past by in his deal.

Kwyn

Reaction score
It is significant now
It wasn’t when he signed it
Where are you seeing 7m?

Ok, found it.

Martin is making 13.5m this season, while the Joe Thuney at 15.5

You’re looking at Lindstrom who just signed a new deal with 27m signing bonus heavily frontloaded. It makes Lindstrom get 20m but that’s just how it’s structured and not really the avg value

Last edited:

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
ALMOST made it to Training Camp without some major drama.

I think he reports, but he is sending a warning shot to the Jones.

conner01

Reaction score
He was the #1 paid guard once he signed his extension. He was never paid cheaply.

He will be 33 years old this season. No signs of slowing down yet, but at the same time you have to wonder about when that cliff may come or being more prone to injuries.

Odd wording in AS tweet as his contract was "restructured" in March. He wants an extension, presumably, not a restructure.
I wondered about why he would want a restructure myself. He’s not eligible for a restructure since you can’t do it twice in a year
He has 2 voidable years so an extension seems fairly simple

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He, like Cooper, are just 2 of the dominos to fall.

There will be more if it continues with this path.

There’s not enough money to go around when you pay a premium for an inferior product.
Actually, you always have the same problem in the NFL whether you view the franchise QB as worth his contract or not. Even is Dak plays great this year and gets us to the NFC title game, you still have a money problem and cannot pay everyone. It’s simply the nature of the salary cap. What none of us want to see, but Jerry needs to do, is you have to start letting some of your budding stars at DE, CB, TE, OL, etc, walk in free agency instead of giving all of them second contracts. Then you use extra draft picks to keep filling those spots with rookie contracts, especially RB. I love Pollard, but paying him 10 million hurts, and he will definitely never get another tag or contract. That’s 10 million we will have next year from one good young player who is expendable.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He, like Cooper, are just 2 of the dominos to fall.

There will be more if it continues with this path.

There’s not enough money to go around when you pay a premium for an inferior product.
When he signed I believe he was the highest paid guard in history. This is why long term deals rarely work out in the players favor. It’s not anyone else’s fault but his agents for negotiating a deal that was bound to be well below market value in 5-6 years.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This is why Stevie holds back some cap space. This absolutely needs to get fixed.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I wondered about why he would want a restructure myself. He’s not eligible for a restructure since you can’t do it twice in a year
He has 2 voidable years so an extension seems fairly simple
Its because he’s considered among the best OGs in the NFL, but is earning 7 million less than a couple of other guards. Anyone in any job would expect a raise.

conner01

Reaction score
I just lost a little respect for Martin. Nothing annoys me more than when athletes, who have made MILLIONS (and will never need to work again), cry about not making a few million more.
I don’t have a problem when a guy wants to get paid. I do think once you get paid you should play out your deal till Atleast the last year. He has 2 years left so next camp I could see not wanting to go into a final year and risk injury

conner01

Reaction score
It’s because he’s considered among the best OGs in the NFL, but is earning 7 million less than a couple of other guards. Anyone in any job would expect a raise.
Restructuring doesn’t get him more money though and he was just restructured
I assume that’s a misquote since it doesn’t get you more years anyway

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
This is why 1 year contracts have become more popular this off-season. Long term deals mean nothing in the NFL.

Not gonna lie, not a fan of this guy anymore. This isn’t the way a leader operates.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
I don’t have a problem when a guy wants to get paid. I do think once you get paid you should play out your deal till Atleast the last year. He has 2 years left so next camp I could see not wanting to go into a final year and risk injury
The market changes. You can't hold out and cry when someone at the same position gets a little more. He's making on average $14million/year. Shut up and play. And like you said, honor your freaking contract! But, the players know Jerry and his ******** son will cave, and give them whatever they want.