Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
2 years left and he will be 35 once his current deal expires. I get why Zack would want to reload his deal now instead of waiting, but I can also understand the Cowboys hesitancy. I mean do you want to reset the market on a 35 year old G, and for how long?

Zack is a top 3 Cowboy lineman of all time, and has done anything the Cowboys have asked from him so no disrespect to the man, but all sides need to be reasonable about the situation here. Maybe a 1 year extension with a salary bump for 2023? The Cowboys have some cap flexibility for this season and if they do it properly I imagine they could actually create some additional cap flex for 2024 if they wanted. I think the big question isn't how much Martin needs, but how long of a deal is he looking for.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is why 1 year contracts have become more popular this off-season. Long term deals mean nothing in the NFL.

Not gonna lie, not a fan of this guy anymore. This isn’t the way a leader operates.
It doesn’t. Now signing a one year deal as a star is silly but signing a 3 or 4 year deal isn’t. When Dak and his team did it people didn’t understand it. These new one to 4 year deals are what these guys will want until the CBA is changed.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just lost a little respect for Martin. Nothing annoys me more than when athletes, who have made MILLIONS (and will never need to work again), cry about not making a few million more.
Agreed. Nothing annoys me more than when millionaires shake down billionaires for some more money.

Worst thing in the world.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Savvy move by Zach. I hope the FO makes him a Cowboy for life. He is a key leader on this team and should be a priority to take care of.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He should have thought about that before he signed that contract.

for 2023 he's the 3rd highest paid cowboy and 8th highest paid guard in the nfl (cap hit basis)....on a contract from 2018.
Love Zack but this is correct. He was a perennial all-pro caliber player during his rookie deal so it was obvious that signing a 6 year deal would give him job security with the tradeoff being the back end of the deal being lower market value.

He's well leveraged so they probably extend him a year or 2 with most of that money being a cash advance.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Guys, this is just agent posturing. He’s just getting his client up to the trough with CeeDee, Diggs and Micah.

Don’t worry, they’ve always taken care of Zack and will continue to do so.

He’s only off 2m from the top paid guard in the league and that’s after four years past by in his deal.
This^^^^ no way in hell this doesn't get done. As stated earlier, he and his agent apparently wanted this done for a while ( maybe a 1 or 2 ). My guess is Stephen has probably promised to get it done but Zack is done waiting.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be surprised if this is more than a token threat, and even if he does hold out I think it would likely only be a short part of training camp.

I get his thinking. He had a great contract at the time, but it is well below market now, and at his age he may be looking at this as his last big contract opportunity before he starts losing value.

At the same time, he did sign the contract, so its not unfair to expect him to honor it.

Seems to me the best solution is to offer an extension (3 years?) that kicks in when his current contract expires at a rate that is more reflective of the current market.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Love Zack but this is correct. He was a perennial all-pro caliber player during his rookie deal so it was obvious that signing a 6 year deal would give him job security with the tradeoff being the back end of the deal being lower market value.

He's well leveraged so they probably extend him a year or 2 with most of that money being a cash advance.
He did the team a favor by taking the longer-term deal. They didn't do him a favor.

Very common to see deals like this that get extended and revised to keep up with market value. Zack is clearly still one of the best G in the league. He shouldn't be outside the top 10 in pay as he currently is.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Wasn’t he signed well before he was due to hit free agency? So he wanted the security of that but also wants to be paid as if he is a free agent? Got it.
This is the correct takeaway. Players wanting to eat from both sides of the buffet is no less wrong than owners.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

That’s great . Then we are a Tyron injury away from OL collapsing. Tick tock…

YxBd9g2.jpg