Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He should have thought about that before he signed that contract.

for 2023 he's the 3rd highest paid cowboy and 8th highest paid guard in the nfl (cap hit basis)....on a contract from 2018.
Totally agree.

Zack Martin should have kept his mouth shut and waited until after 2023 to demand a raise or another contract extension. Instead, he is pulling a Zeke while still having years left on his current contract.

If Zack Martin sits out of training camp, I would quickly look for a trading partner and demand a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks while trading him. The Cowboys need to set the example to the rest of the team, including Dak, that the team will not be held hostage to their greedy players, especially if you already are under a big contract which you previously agreed to.

Honor your contract or get traded away. Good luck. The team comes first over any player. Enough with the player threats as well. Any player can be replaced.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The problem with redoing his contract is that he has a very low base this year. However, he does have $13 million in base next year. So we could increase his base this year some while lowering his base next year and adding two years on to his deal. The guarantee is really what's important to these players, so if the team did that and pumped another $30 million in guarantees into the deal, that would probably get the job done. Split the bonus over four years and lower the base next year and you have something like this year going from $11 million to $18 and next year reducing from $23 million to $19 million (base goes from $13 million to $2 million and is fully guaranteed). Pump some artificial higher bases into those last two years to set up another restructure if he's still playing at a high level. Could go with a lower bonus than that to make the next two years balance out to what they are now (with the guarantee/bonus being the main difference), but I just chose an example that I believe would be acceptable to him.

J_Allen

Reaction score
We're not going to be able to afford half of our free agents because we pay our part-time quarterback over 40 million a year. Thank you so much, dak.

That being said, he signed the contract. You don't get to do that and then decide you don't like it a few years later. Next time don't sign it. I understand his frustration though. We waste a lot of money on someone who picks and chooses what games to show up to. I would get tired of blocking for him as well and want more money.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's just a report so we have no idea really what Martin or his camp or the Cowboys actually said. So bashing him or saying he should shut the hell up is just emotional venting without any real facts. Martin is perfectly within his right to ask for an extension, especially considering he signed a pretty decent team friendly contract on his last extension. We have no idea if he really made a threat about sitting out.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Welp...the pie gets smaller for CeeDee and Trevon. Does Prescott take less when he's extended to make sure the team is in a good space to sign the team's best player...Micah Parsons?

This also looks like the end of Tony Pollard in Dallas too. This is money the Jones boys didn't expect to spend.

What say you Stephen "Cap Boy" Jones?
My concerns exactly.
I dont care what these guys get paid, but with a cap you only have so much money.
This is not good news ....:(

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We're not going to be able to afford half of our free agents because we pay our part-time quarterback over 40 million a year. Thank you so much, dak.

That being said, he signed the contract. You don't get to do that and then decide you don't like it a few years later. Next time don't sign it. I understand his frustration though. We waste a lot of money on someone who picks and chooses what games to show up to. I would get tired of blocking for him as well and want more money.
What a bunch of hogwash. Dak shows up to every game. The problem last year was the Oline being injured all season long, plus hardly any weapons to throw to. I can show you clips of Zack Martin getting burned or getting penalized last season alone, but you will excuse Zack but not Dak, won't you?

Bigtex67

Reaction score
He's not half of what Larry Allen was and Larry never pulled this stunt.
While I agree that Larry Allen is one of our All Time best OL, that was a completely different era when it comes to contracts and contract / salary cap management. It is really not an apples to apples comparison.

Big_D

Reaction score
Totally agree.

Zack Martin should have kept his mouth shut and waited until after 2023 to demand a raise or another contract extension. Instead, he is pulling a Zeke while still having years left on his current contract.

If Zack Martin sits out of training camp, I would quickly look for a trading partner and demand a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks while trading him. The Cowboys need to set the example to the rest of the team, including Dak, that the team will not be held hostage to their greedy players, especially if you already are under a big contract which you previously agreed to.

Honor your contract or get traded away. Good luck. The team comes first over any player. Enough with the player threats as well. Any player can be replaced.

This is year 10 of a hall of fame career. Doesn't compare at all to the Zeke situation.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's just a report so we have no idea really what Martin or his camp or the Cowboys actually said. So bashing him or saying he should shut the hell up is just emotional venting without any real facts. Martin is perfectly within his right to ask for an extension, especially considering he signed a pretty decent team friendly contract on his last extension. We have no idea if he really made a threat about sitting out.
He made the threat. Quit acting dumb.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Most aren't telling him to shut the hell up so don't worry about that.

Praxit

Reaction score
..knowing he's getting older, wants new cut of the pie. NFL days coming to end.