Schoonmaker dealing with plantar fasciitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
There were a few others..Chido has proven to be a starter in this league. Conner Williams has proven to be a starter in this league. Gregory whether we like him or not is a starter in this league. Trysten and Joseph are the faces of the second round so that’s going to be the go to names as well as Jaylon.
Awuzie and Williams are JAGs. There are approx 700 starters in the NFL not all of them are good to great players (relatively speaking). Awuzie and Williams were disappointments given where they were picked.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Shut him down. It's not uncommon with overtraining and the combine process right aftr the season can certainly lead to that.

Motorola

Reaction score
Why is Gallup carrying a dustbin?
I'm guessing those containers are for discarded workout gear (gloves, protective pads, etc.) that was damaged or worn out.
Or perhaps the equipment is still in usable condition - and the players- team donate those items to youth football programs.
Years ago...didn't the Cowboys sell used practice gear online?
Do they still do it?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It'll depend on the extent of the damage, as well as the frequency of recurrence. He has some of the best sports docs in the world taking care of him, so that's a huge plus. I will say though that when I had it, severity of pain ranged from minor annoyance to being unable to put any weight on it...under the guidance of Air Force docs, mind you. It isn't necessarily a severe injury, but the likelihood of him missing games and being less effective goes up substantially.
Well this is my thing…I expected him to be apart of a three man attack at TE. He wasn’t getting more reps than Ferguson. Pure speculation on my part. So to me he wouldn’t be limited because he was always going to be limited fighting two other guys for reps.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Awuzie and Williams are JAGs. There are approx 700 starters in the NFL not all of them are good to great players (relatively speaking). Awuzie and Williams were disappointments given where they were picked.
They both started for contenders. Trysten Hill is a JAG. Those guys are legit.

gtb1943

Reaction score
They both started for contenders. Trysten Hill is a JAG. Those guys are legit.
Just because you start for a contender does not mean you are all that.

Look at us. Several starters are not exactly pro bowl or even close, are they.

In this day and age of the cap and FA, all teams are going to have starters they would like to improve on but for one reason or another cannot.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just because you start for a contender does not mean you are all that.

Look at us. Several starters are not exactly pro bowl or even close, are they.

In this day and age of the cap and FA, all teams are going to have starters they would like to improve on but for one reason or another cannot.
I’m not arguing if they are Pro Bowlers or not. Jags don’t start for contenders. Chido had a good year last year. I didn’t get to see Conner much but from what I’ve read he too had a good year at center.

quickccc

Reaction score
Good think is the depth quality we seem to have at TE ... Ferguson and Hendershot can contribute in pass game. And McKeon is noted as a run blocker.

The vibe i get is team wants a combo TE that grades well as factors at both run and pass game.
And at the least counted on the rookie Schoon to provide both as TE2.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I had it in High School and I wasn't right until I didn't run for an entire off season (8 months). Would feel half decent one day and be fully limping the next.

Feels like your heel is being ripped off the back of your foot each time you plant and go. He could get injections, but you're not close to full speed or have anywhere near the same agility.

Didn't love the pick but liked his measurables. Hopefully he can contribute this season.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Shut him down. It's not uncommon with overtraining and the combine process right aftr the season can certainly lead to that.

Yup. Tell him to rest and be ready for training camp to see how it feels then.
TC is 8 weeks away.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Well this is my thing…I expected him to be apart of a three man attack at TE. He wasn’t getting more reps than Ferguson. Pure speculation on my part. So to me he wouldn’t be limited because he was always going to be limited fighting two other guys for reps.
I'm more worried about his effectiveness on the field. If it's bad enough, anchoring for blocks, cutting, running, and jumping will all be affected.

I also worry about the timeline for his recovery. As others have pointed out, and I can verify, the best rehab for this injury is resting the foot for up to three months. Worst case, we are looking at a rookie that's going to miss all of TC/preseason, and will need a few more weeks to get back into game shape and up to speed with the playbook. Maybe he is as sharp as we've been led to believe and some mental reps will keep him up to speed. Physically, he's going to be playing catch up either way.

Bottom line though, he was brought in to boost the running game. If he can't anchor, the best part of his game is limited and we're left with Ferguson as our primary run blocker at that position. Still an upgrade over Schultz, but not ideal considering the narrative of leaning more heavily on the run. Hope that isn't the case, because on tape, Schoon looks like he can be a difference maker early in his career. Fingers crossed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yup. Tell him to rest and be ready for training camp to see how it feels then.
TC is 8 weeks away.
I just imagine training for the shuttle and cone drills and the stress it puts on your feet. His scores were elite so he trained his *** off.

Carson

Reaction score
I had it in High School and I wasn't right until I didn't run for an entire off season (8 months). Would feel half decent one day and be fully limping the next.

Feels like your heel is being ripped off the back of your foot each time you plant and go. He could get injections, but you're not close to full speed or have anywhere near the same agility.

Didn't love the pick but liked his measurables. Hopefully he can contribute this season.
My concern is that he will already be 25. He was in high school 5 years (injury) and then spent 5 years in college. A lot of these guys max out by a certain age. Being a rookie at 25 and then redshirting a year doesn’t bode well.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
This is definitely a lingering injury. Anyone who thinks he’s going to be fine in a few weeks is kidding themselves. This is some bad news on a player we were going to be counting on. Seems to be a curse on our second round picks.
And so it begins. You wouldn't expect something like that with a young guy before the season even starts. Arrrgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.