Scouting Combine thread

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What about Chase Claypool? The guy is a Tight End / WR hybrid and he has some wheels.

He’s going to be a weapon in the NFL.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Aiyuk would be my replacement WR, and this dude Quez Watkins in the late rounds.

If Jonvea Johnson can learn how to catch the dude could be a beast. The dude can absolutely get open, and he has amazing route running skills he needs to learn how to catch the ball consistently.

I would love to see the Cowboys invest that Amari money on defense and capitalize on the strength of this draft which is offense.

Strengths
QB Class is very stong
WR Class strongest it's been in a very very long time with a lot of high upside a ton of depth
OT Strongest class in years. There is going to be teams that have been looking to fill this void for years, and finally a class where they can do it.
DT Strong class with Brown and Kinlaw at the top and over a handful of guys who can come in and be starters with upside as rookies.
Average
CB you have Okudah who is a bonafied stud, but outside of him you have a bunch of back of the 1st/ 2nd rounders.
DE same thing Chase Young, AJ Epenesa, great upside but a bit of a project in Chaisson then 2nd rounders at best.
RB is a good class with a lot of depth but none are considered top tier.
OG/C lots of depth along the interior line but none that a considered top tier.
LB good at the top with Simmons if he is indeed a LB (if not this drops to weakness) Murray, and Queen but outside of those 3 you have a few guys who are borderline second rounders or below.
Weakness
TE you have no first rounders, and Khmet might be the only guy who has high upside in this draft
S you have McKinney, and Delpit who are considered 1st rounders but wouldn't be surprised if they fall to the back end of the first or second round. Decent depth at S, but not a great class like last years. (Missed our opportunity last year)

There could 5 QB drafted in the 1st round 4 by the time we are on the clock at 17.
The same with could happen with OT's.
Young, Simmons, Okudah, Brown should all be long gone by 17, Kinlaw, Juedy and/ Lamb should be gone by 17 but theres a chance one of them are there. If this happens I would be thrilled with a trade back pick up more picks and fill the opposite spot from Gallup.

I think we need to address FA to sure up our weakness along with the weakness in the draft, and sure up other positions based on needs.

Over 30 million in cap room with not signing Cooper, release of Crawford, Flemmings, Chris Jones, and Olawale would go a long way to building this defense.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
One of the most underrated workouts of the day: KJ Hamler put up 17 reps of 225, while only weighing 178 pounds himself. And that upper body strength doesn't even matter for his game as a speed guy - he's just been hitting the gym.

There's something in the water at Penn State, because all their guys just test like flipping freaks. I think it was 2018 where they had 3 separate 99th percentile NFL athletes (Saquon, Mike Gesicki, and a late round safety named Troy Apke).

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Official NFL account tweeted out Claypool is the only WR taller than 6-4 and weighing more than 235 other than Calvin Johnson to ever run a sub 4.45.

Claypool also had a vertical of 40.5 inches. Calvin Johnson's vertical was 42 inches.

So not as good as Johnson but very good for a guy that size. If you read the twittersphere, Claypool has been one of the, if not the, hit of the first day.
Vernon Davis did as a TE I believe

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I really thought he would run faster. 4.28 (4.27 official) is a tad disappointing for him. I expected something closer to 4.20 than 4.30. But it could be a slow track. I love how good this WR class is. Teams in need of WRs are pretty fortunate that their needs align with the strength of this draft. The Giants and Eagles are happy I am sure.
He had a bad start. He wasn't positioned to push off. He basically stood up on his start. He was definitely capable of 4.22.

cnuball21

Reaction score
4.45, 4.43 were his two times, had a 40.5 inch vertical and pressed 19 times.

He made himself some money today.
Aiyuk would be my replacement WR, and this dude Quez Watkins in the late rounds.

If Jonvea Johnson can learn how to catch the dude could be a beast. The dude can absolutely get open, and he has amazing route running skills he needs to learn how to catch the ball consistently.

I would love to see the Cowboys invest that Amari money on defense and capitalize on the strength of this draft which is offense.

Strengths
QB Class is very stong
WR Class strongest it's been in a very very long time with a lot of high upside a ton of depth
OT Strongest class in years. There is going to be teams that have been looking to fill this void for years, and finally a class where they can do it.
DT Strong class with Brown and Kinlaw at the top and over a handful of guys who can come in and be starters with upside as rookies.
Average
CB you have Okudah who is a bonafied stud, but outside of him you have a bunch of back of the 1st/ 2nd rounders.
DE same thing Chase Young, AJ Epenesa, great upside but a bit of a project in Chaisson then 2nd rounders at best.
RB is a good class with a lot of depth but none are considered top tier.
OG/C lots of depth along the interior line but none that a considered top tier.
LB good at the top with Simmons if he is indeed a LB (if not this drops to weakness) Murray, and Queen but outside of those 3 you have a few guys who are borderline second rounders or below.
Weakness
TE you have no first rounders, and Khmet might be the only guy who has high upside in this draft
S you have McKinney, and Delpit who are considered 1st rounders but wouldn't be surprised if they fall to the back end of the first or second round. Decent depth at S, but not a great class like last years. (Missed our opportunity last year)

There could 5 QB drafted in the 1st round 4 by the time we are on the clock at 17.
The same with could happen with OT's.
Young, Simmons, Okudah, Brown should all be long gone by 17, Kinlaw, Juedy and/ Lamb should be gone by 17 but theres a chance one of them are there. If this happens I would be thrilled with a trade back pick up more picks and fill the opposite spot from Gallup.

I think we need to address FA to sure up our weakness along with the weakness in the draft, and sure up other positions based on needs.

Over 30 million in cap room with not signing Cooper, release of Crawford, Flemmings, Chris Jones, and Olawale would go a long way to building this defense.

We’ve already gone back and forth on letting Cooper go...so I’ll leave that alone.

I love Aiyuk though...he gives me Brandon Cooks vibes and think his game speed is better than the 40.

After Lamb and Jeudy, he’s in consideration for WR 3 or 4 for me.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is just a RIDICULOUS WR class, and the combine confirmed that even more.

The 2017 draft had Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and John Ross all go in the top-10. None of them would even sniff the first round this year. Absolutely absurd.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This is just a RIDICULOUS WR class, and the combine confirmed that even more.

The 2017 draft had Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and John Ross all go in the top-10. None of them would even sniff the first round this year. Absolutely absurd.

I would buy Corey Davis’ stock if he became available. He suffered in large part from marginal QB under Marriotta (sp?). I’d be all-in if we added him to our roster.

Mike Williams has shown continued development. He’s primed to take the step. 10 TDs in 2018; 1,000+ yards in 2019 with 20.4 YPC.

Ross has been a disappointment; too fragile.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I would buy Corey Davis’ stock if he became available. He suffered in large part from marginal QB under Marriotta (sp?). I’d be all-in if we added him to our roster.

Mike Williams has shown continued development. He’s primed to take the step. 10 TDs in 2018; 1,000+ yards in 2019 with 20.4 YPC.

Ross has been a disappointment; too fragile.
Yea I mean they're good players - even Ross in the right role can be effective, I think - but that, to me, makes this class even better. I'm not saying Davis and Williams were bad picks really, but more just illustrating how good this class is.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Owning Mike Williams on my fantasy team was the most frustrating thing this year. How does a guy clear 1000 yards on 20.4 freaking YPC and only score 2 touchdowns. And both of those didn't come until December.

I've said it before that TD stats are fluky, but holy crap that's a fluke.