Sean Lee = Opposite of the modern-day ring brats of the NBA

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... well okay... I was one of those last year who was not a fan of how Witten went out... indeed, it smacked of giving up on the team, as I just never was one of those who considered the MNF franchise to be anything close to what it once was, and so, it just didn't ring true with me that it was this once-in-a-lifetime leap he had to take.

You?
Leaving for a job opportunity especially one outside of your current line of work that may not come calling again I could understand. The timing of it soured me on him in a way. It didn't seem to mesh with his character and contradicted the image he had established more than anything. Then after a lackluster year in the booth where he was completely lost at times and got ridiculed plenty for his gaffes he quit that too? Supposedly because we are close to the coveted title he has chased? Reeks of selfishness to me. Someone mentioned how he made Beasley apologize after quitting during his first training camp and wondered if he would do the same. Another person thought it was idiotic for him to need to because his accomplishments gave him an out while justified Beasley needing to since he had none. That seems backwards logic to me. Witten owes the team an apology according to his own actions.

birdwells1

Reaction score
There is nothing honorable about what Kevin Durant did.

There is nothing honorable about what Wade, Bosh and LBJ conspired to do.

There is everything honorable about what Sean's doing.

If nothing else, we ought to be able to agree it's a totally different attitude and mindset.

Naw you put too much into intangibles at the end of the day it's about rings. Getting Witten back for 5 million is a "feel" good story but not something that NE would have done.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Second thought, you would have something there. West and Lee would be equals had West chosen to remain with the Pacers and keep working toward a championship there. Lee probably could play for NE, probably could play for LAR. He's not.

I for one appreciate that.

They don't want him, his only value is to the Cowboys because he's family.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
That doesn't even make any sense. Owners own the NBA, not the players. Regardless of whether the NBA would exist with or without them. Players come and go. Teams and owners stay the course and assure the success of the league. Players actually reap the benefits of that as the NBA and or NFL promote the players in marketing and advertising. And they are smart to promote the players.
Yeah the teams and owners assure success.

For example have you heard of the league that wouldn't exist if there were no players to fill out rosters and take the field? Yes the owners of that league see record profits. The money comes flooding in at such an insane rate that they are left dumbfounded by the success. Why and how are their fans watching 3 hour time slots filled with deafening silence interrupted by far too many commercials breaking up the flow of nothing? I can't wait for halftime so I can catch the highlights from around the league. I heard it's really something to not see. So much unbelievable action it's like something you can't even see is happening right in front of you. Blink and you won't miss it but don't worry the highlights are up after this commercial break.

Yeah that league is doing great.

Players reap as much of the benefit as they can under the cap. Everything else is owner and league money which faaaaaar out paces what the players "reap" from the selfless owners who are only there to stay the course and ensure success. I'm not even going to start in on the owners promoting the players and helping them from the goodness of their achy break hearts.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
C'mon.

You're talking letter of law versus spirit of the law.... yes, technically, he was the one who stayed where he was, but only because MIA was the franchise that had the cap space... he was still NOT winning a ring in MIA short of the conspiracy that he and his buds pulled off.

Cop. Out.
Wade opted to stay in Miami and took less money on multiple occasions to allow the team to build/rebuild throughout his career. He had already won a ring long before LeBron and Bosh arrived. As someone mentioned earlier, loyalty is a 2-way street and when Miami had the chance to repay him for the years of taking less, they played hardball with him. Riley realized, after all the public backlash, that he had screwed up. Wade never wanted to leave Miami, Riley was the one that showed any lack of loyalty.

SSoup

Reaction score
I'm confused. Maybe it's because I'm not enough of a basketball fan to have properly understood this slam, "ring brat," and why it's an utterly savage insult. The term "ring brat" sounds to me like a player who chose to play for a winning, competitive team first and then worried about what they'd get paid second. Because the championship was their priority.

A player choosing a team that hasn't competed in decades? Sounds like he's very comfortable indeed with not winning anything. Cool, cool, cool. Very cool thing to brag about.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm confused. Maybe it's because I'm not enough of a basketball fan to have properly understood this slam, "ring brat," and why it's an utterly savage insult. The term "ring brat" sounds to me like a player who chose to play for a winning, competitive team first and then worried about what they'd get paid second. Because the championship was their priority.

A player choosing a team that hasn't competed in decades? Sounds like he's very comfortable indeed with not winning anything. Cool, cool, cool. Very cool thing to brag about.
I don't follow the NBA much either but I think he is referring to players that left to join the Golden State Warriors for a title. They already had arguably the best team and the only real competition they faced were the Cavs with LeBron James. At least until some of said players jumped ship for GS and I believe swept the Cavs last year?

Proof

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...ng-with-cowboys-to-chase-after-a-championship

It's so refreshing to see a guy TAKE LESS money and STAY with his team in order to chase a championship.

Eat your heart out Durant... LBJ... Wade... Bosh.

Sean Lee, the anti-ring-brat.

Outside of signing with the Pats for pennies on the dollar and becoming a disposable body at the whims of a maniac, there's no real way to chase a championship in the NFL. On top of that, he sort of owes the Cowboys for being so unreliable, and they've extended good faith to him previously by paying him a million dollar incentive bonus he didn't reach.

Wade stayed with his team (and took less) Bron and Bosh played for two historically inept franchises as superstars that were mired in the muck for the first two contracts of their careers. While I don't like what their move spawned, it was fairly unprecedented at the time, and they both took less as well to make it happen. Durant on the other hand is an absolute sucker.

Proof

Reaction score
Its called a good upbringing vs a poor upbringing. Cant pick your parents. For good or for worse, more times then not, the type of person you become is nearly 80% dependent on your parents.

this is a horrible and telling take.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sean Lee makes this group of linebackers, top of the line for the NFL. They have insight and valid leadership to home skills and team interactions.

Face it, linebackers are the glue of a defense. A team produces as well as the linebackers keep together the activities of the defensive line and secondary.

Smith, Vander Esch, and Lee are for real. It's not a matter of flashy cash but a matter of heart and soul...and talent. The leadership and skill is top notched and the leadership couldn't be better.

This is a really talented group and will be a key element in moving forward now.

They are for real.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sean Lee taking the pay cut, just elevated the Dallas linebacker group to the best in the NFL.

Maybe. Lee thought he might be done. He may have been right about that. I don't know where Lee is at. I don't know that anyone knows.

The LBs without Lee, which were already a strength last year, and likely to be better this year even without Lee. With Lee's brain on the field, everyone gets better. Then it' how much his body can give us. Even if he's permanently less because of the hammies, if he's less but can play, he's still a big help. If the hammies really heal, then it's hard to see a team having a better 4-3 set of LBs.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

John813

Reaction score
Kinda funny you say this, when Wade TOOK LESS to STAY with Miami in order to chase a championship

Multiple times. The only time he left for money was a few years back after he saw Riley give Bosh a max deal but Pat wanted him to take a cut.

This whole stay with your team is overblown. Cleveland failed the first time to build around James. I don't blame him for leaving to play with his friend in order to win championships.
It's not like he was still under contract with Cleveland, pouted and got his way. He was an UFA and left.

HungryLion

Reaction score
And Lee will probably never win a championship as a player.

Way to show them Sean!!!!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ummm what??

this is a terrible analogy

sean lee is probably our 3rd best linebacker & 99% chance he won’t play 16 games
maybe, but the other 2 are pretty damn good in their own right. they also shined for a year so far. no one can argue lee doesn't get hurt a lot, but when he's on he's still dominate out there. if he's willing to take a pay cut to "even things out" then that's a good thing. no idea why someone needs to go into a base attack mode on the man.