Sean Lee = Opposite of the modern-day ring brats of the NBA

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Personally, I dont like the way the NBA is going. Bombing all these 3's is boring to watch.

Isolation and bombing 3's. Lame.
I don’t like it either but that doesn’t happen once the playoffs start. That’s not a result of the players that’s a result of analytics.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Speaking of community colleges, seems the actual meaning of "passive aggressive" evades some people.

Posts 52 and 85 are direct responses. Nothing passive aggressive about it.

But that's just for those of us who come here to "discuss," of course. People can believe what they want to believe. Always have, always will.
Can’t be a direct response to something that wasn’t the reason passive aggressive was said. Community college doing you people a disservice. Dang shame but that’s what lack of leads to.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Posts 52 and 85 are direct responses.

... that is, if one wants to discuss the substance.

And if one prefers instead to deflect into conversation about the conversation, he can do that, too.

But no one of any education, community college or more or less, is fooled by the rhetorical gamesmanship ("passive aggressive" BS) being applied in order to save some face for having closed his ears/eyes and resisted wading into the substance.

Mr_437

Reaction score
1. Irrelevant... he still could have played somewhere else, and chased a ring.

2. Irrelevant... he still could have played somewhere else, and chased a ring.

3. Everyone's entitled to their opinion... and/but... also irrelevant... because whatever one thinks about the Cowboys' future, the fact remains there are teams Lee could have actively pursued with a higher probability of reaching the SB, in order to chase a ring.

4. Irrelevant... the comparison made isn't about the impact of the player, but about the ATTITUDE and INTEGRITY of the player.
Haha your whole thread is irrelevant!!!

Nav22

Reaction score
C'mon.

You're talking letter of law versus spirit of the law.... yes, technically, he was the one who stayed where he was, but only because MIA was the franchise that had the cap space... he was still NOT winning a ring in MIA short of the conspiracy that he and his buds pulled off.

Cop. Out.
Except Wade had already won a ring in 2006, long before LeBron and Bosh joined him in Miami.

This board needs a dunce cap.

SSoup

Reaction score
Right? Fans love to clamor that players only care about money, not the game. Then if a player switches teams because he wants to win, he's wrong then too because he cares about the game "the wrong way." I don't begrudge any player that can't stand fans. A lot are idiots.
Yeah. Some fans won't be happy unless players are indentured servants forced to play for whatever owner drafts them for whatever amount the team feels like paying them for the duration of their careers.

(Though, oddly, a lot of the people who want to go back to that kind of system probably also didn't much mind it when Earl Thomas was seemingly trying to force his way off the team that drafted him specifically to join us. Because their desire to return to a pre-free agency and pre-cap era of the NFL has a lot to do with them stupidly thinking our owner will just buy up all the best players and all the best players will flock to us to form the kind of Super Team the original poster finds disgusting when NBA players are form one.)

Which, okay, fine.

Though I think real sports fans think it's a bigger bummer when the best players on the market opt to flush years of their career playing for a team they know is trash just because that team had the most money to burn (not drafting your own good homegrown players really frees up a lot of money to offer crazy curve-exploding contracts). But that's not the sort of icky move the NBA "ring brats" made. They did the opposite, which I suspect would've been applauded by the original poster if it was done by players/people he personally likes.

_sturt_

Reaction score
@Nav22 ... my exact words... "he was still NOT winning a ring in MIA short of the conspiracy that he and his buds pulled off."

Now, I recognize how you can take that to mean he hadn't already won one. But you were wrong to take it to mean that. For my part, I acknowledge I could have chosen to be more precise in my words.

The point remains.

He wasn't going to win a... or, more precisely, another... ring in MIA short of the conspiracy he and his buds pulled off. The Heat franchise was scum at that point.

_sturt_

Reaction score
which I suspect would've been applauded by the original poster if it was done by players/people he personally likes.

Posts #50, #52 and #85... unless you have your mind made up, and in that case, disregard and go on with your day.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
... that is, if one wants to discuss the substance.

And if one prefers instead to deflect into conversation about the conversation, he can do that, too.

But no one of any education, community college or more or less, is fooled by the rhetorical gamesmanship ("passive aggressive" BS) being applied in order to save some face for having closed his ears/eyes and resisted wading into the substance.
Like I said Lion there was nothing to discuss and said as much so all this children’s logic of blah blah substance is bs. I said my point and it made you get insecure and act like the clion you are offline that only functions properly in an echo chamber. There is no substance to something that isn’t apples to apples. A washed up Lee being compared to LeBron or Durant and implying they had similar decisions? Get the flip outta here buddy with your jealousy wrapped up as actual conversation. 52 and 85 that

_sturt_

Reaction score
it made you get insecure

If that's what you call referring you to posts that address your point, so be it.

I'm inclined to think most of us understand who is the insecure person when one gets testy from his very first post on the topic, and who then refuses to engage any counterpoints, and claims he's not closed-minded in spite of having just said he's not going to entertain any counterpoints.

So, I'm good. You just claim all that superiority you want. I'm fine with that.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Get the flip outta here buddy

You need to tone it down a notch... we're not in a bar, and you don't, to my knowledge, own the place... and while you're welcome to resist the substance part of the conversation, others can and should be able to agree or disagree... all the more so, if they actually bring substance to the conversation.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You need to tone it down a notch... we're not in a bar, and you don't, to my knowledge, own the place... and while you're welcome to resist the substance part of the conversation, others can and should be able to agree or disagree... all the more so, if they actually bring substance to the conversation.
I don’t need to do anything just because you don’t like it. The same way you kept not quoting me but are responding to my post and I asked if you had something to say why not quote me when you did it before. Don’t tell me things you yourself have a tough time doing. What does a bar have to do with anything? You’re not making sense because this sure isn’t a place of business where we need to be super serious either. Never claimed I owned the place so again please make sense when you post. Who is stopping the others from posting? It isn’t me so please stop with these made up scenarios. We don’t agree and that’s cool I just asked you to just quote me if you had something to say like you did here and we can talk things out civilly. You instead want to be a jokester and not do that until you feel I crossed some line by saying flip outta here like that’s some harsh term.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
If that's what you call referring you to posts that address your point, so be it.

I'm inclined to think most of us understand who is the insecure person when one gets testy from his very first post on the topic, and who then refuses to engage any counterpoints, and claims he's not closed-minded in spite of having just said he's not going to entertain any counterpoints.

So, I'm good. You just claim all that superiority you want. I'm fine with that.
I’m calling insecure things insecure so twist it however you choose to. I’m insecure because I got straight to the point to say you’re jealous imo and your other post don’t change my view on that? How is that testy? You’ve been online too long with that type of logic. There is no claim of superiority over my pov on this issue. Just like you our positions aren’t changing so I was saying we believe what we believe and leave it at that.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Posts #50, #52 and #85... unless you have your mind made up, and in that case, disregard and go on with your day.
1. Post #50 is a post I made.

2. Don't bring me or anything I posted up in defense of yourself.

3. You still sound like a spurned lover.

_sturt_

Reaction score
1. It adds context for #52.

2. I'm not wrong to post something you were right about... and why that would be offensive to you is a very curious thing.

3. What can I say. You were right the second time, ie the time you posted #50.

I'm a lifelong Atlanta Hawks fan. But more importantly, I'm a lifelong believer in some basic principles of integrity. I don't like seeing the game manipulated for some ring-brats to add to their legacy. Charles Barkley is a great example of a great player who today can hold his head higher than a guy who subverted his own integrity in order to take a short-cut to get what Charles didn't get.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
1. It adds context for #52.

2. I'm not wrong to post something you were right about... and why that would be offensive to you is a very curious thing.

3. What can I say. You were right the first time. I'm a lifelong Atlanta Hawks fan. But more importantly, I'm a lifelong believer in some basic principles of integrity. I don't like seeing the game manipulated for some ring-brats to add to their legacy. Charles Barkley is a great example of a great player who today can hold his head higher than a guy who subverted his own integrity in order to take a short-cut to get what Charles didn't get.
Then you failed to realize I played to your sensibilities and ego to set up post #57.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Yeah. You got me good. I suppose. (Though now that you reveal yourself, your point would make more sense if, again, Witten had chosen to sign with an actual championship game participant.)

But that doesn't mean you were wrong to say what you said in #50.

_sturt_

Reaction score
A lot of defenders here of their favorite NBA ring-brats...

I was hoping, actually, to make this at least equally about the good to be appreciated about Sean Lee.

More I think about it, the poster who brought up David West provided the very best analogy in terms of both impact and attitude/integrity... had West stayed with IND, and actually won something there.

It's the attitude/integrity part that was the intended focus here.

Sean Lee...

a-toast.gif

GenoT

Reaction score
A lot of defenders here of their favorite NBA ring-brats...

I was hoping, actually, to make this at least equally about the good to be appreciated about Sean Lee.

More I think about it, the poster who brought up David West provided the very best analogy in terms of both impact and attitude/integrity... had West stayed with IND, and actually won something there.

It's the attitude/integrity part that was the intended focus here.

Sean Lee...

a-toast.gif
Personally, I applaud Sean Lee; more for his dedication to his craft and his professionalism than any sacrifice he’s made to stay in Dallas.

As far as his being the “anti-ring-brat” (cute), Lee has very little bargaining position in the current NFL at this stage of his career. He could possibly gain a small amount of economic improvement by going to another team, but he would have no assurances that he might be a major contributor or find championship success.

Using the NBA’s entirely different structure-dynamic to add support to Sean Lee’s admirable decision to take less money in order to remain with the Cowboys, where he absolutely will have a role, and be on a team that is reasonably invested in the near-future championship hunt, is pointless and needless.