Senior Bowl Chatter....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
but we weren't privy to that. you and I, who know little about QB evaluations, can see the arm strength, mobility (or lack there of with Goff), accuracy, whatever on our own, via youtube. what we can't really evaluate is how well they know responsibilities, ect on any given play, since we don't know that information.

Well according to an Ex-NFL scout he did have a great understanding.

You're right though.. None of us know how well these guys grasp the mental side of it so I don't know why Goff is getting that as a bonus over Wentz with some of you.

RS12

Reaction score
I think I am the only one still in the Lynch camp.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I heard an interview last week with Daniel Jerimiah and he said that he had Wentz and Goff both explain the concepts of the offense they ran in college to him and he was blown away with the understanding that Wentz had of his system.

the star dust has blinded me

JBS

Reaction score
Second round? Who on earth had Collins as a "second round" player?

Teams usually only have 15-20 players w first round grades...Collins was right in that neighborhood...plus, can't expect garrett to be completely honest

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Teams usually only have 15-20 players w first round grades...Collins was right in that neighborhood...plus, can't expect garrett to be completely honest

No reason to throw in the "or second round". At all.

Normally when you get lucky like that, you publicize the positive.

RS12

Reaction score
The North squad is LOADED with high end prospects. The 5 who stood out the most to me today:

1. DL Jihad Ward, Illinois – Ward, as I stated on Twitter, was the most impressive defensive player on the field for either team. His natural athleticism, crisp and efficient movements skills and active hands made him a handful for the likes of Joe Haeg and Jason Spriggs (who I’m leaning towards as a 1st RD caliber OT). Ward weighed in at 6051, 296 lbs with 33.63″ arms. Ward was on my list but not particularly high on my priority watches. That is no longer the case.
  2. CB Tavon Young, Temple – Young was a name I mentioned on the Periscope Joe Marino hosted as we finished the last leg of our drive to Mobile. Every time I watched Temple’s defense (be it for one of their players or an opponent) Young would pop several times. He’s a bit on the smaller side at 5093, 180 lbs but he’s incredibly agile and his short area acceleration gives him some notable pop when meeting receivers or ball carriers in the “D gap” or in coverage as an over top defender.
  3. TE Nick Vannett, Ohio State – Vannett was impressive working in all the kinds of roles he did not get to showcase at Ohio State. He worked up the seam and regularly separated against a talented LB group for the North Squad. Seeing him handle Carl Nassib one on one in pass protection on more than one occasion was both impressive for him and disappointing for Nassib. Vannett was a bit too physical at the top of his stem today but he appeared to reel it in and the natural athleticism that was a bit hidden as a Buckeye really started to shine.
  4. QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State – Wentz is a player I’ve resisted fully embracing since last summer. He’s got some questions that I’m never going to be able to answer or feel confident about. But as practice settled in today, so did Wentz. A few mistimed throws to receivers that he’d never thrown to before aside, Wentz really started to zip the ball around. Easily got back away from center. Threw with timing. The thing that stood out the most to me was his arm is much more live in person than I can ever recall it being on tape. Ball trajectory n throws to the far side of the field was notably flatter (better zip/velocity) than any of the other Quarterbacks on the North roster. That alone will cause me to go back and double check the tape on Wentz…and that’s a ‘Win’ on the day for him.
  5. DB Cyrus Jones, Alabama – Jones is very well built for his frame (5096, 196, 9.25″ hand, 31.25″ arm) and showed physicality, ball skills and impressive foot efficiency in WR/DB one on one drills today. Jones handled all comers well and was also able to play out from underneath of his base of support as footing started to deteriorate deeper into practice thanks to intermittent rain showers.
http://draftbreakdown.com/kyle-crabbs-senior-bowl-recap-day-1/

JBS

Reaction score

You're right though.. None of us know how well these guys grasp the mental side of it so I don't know why Goff is getting that as a bonus over Wentz with some of you.

Why? Bc it's clear as day w the way he plays on the field

waving monkey

Reaction score
The North squad is LOADED with high end prospects. The 5 who stood out the most to me today:

1. DL Jihad Ward, Illinois – Ward, as I stated on Twitter, was the most impressive defensive player on the field for either team. His natural athleticism, crisp and efficient movements skills and active hands made him a handful for the likes of Joe Haeg and Jason Spriggs (who I’m leaning towards as a 1st RD caliber OT). Ward weighed in at 6051, 296 lbs with 33.63″ arms. Ward was on my list but not particularly high on my priority watches. That is no longer the case.
  2. CB Tavon Young, Temple – Young was a name I mentioned on the Periscope Joe Marino hosted as we finished the last leg of our drive to Mobile. Every time I watched Temple’s defense (be it for one of their players or an opponent) Young would pop several times. He’s a bit on the smaller side at 5093, 180 lbs but he’s incredibly agile and his short area acceleration gives him some notable pop when meeting receivers or ball carriers in the “D gap” or in coverage as an over top defender.
  3. TE Nick Vannett, Ohio State – Vannett was impressive working in all the kinds of roles he did not get to showcase at Ohio State. He worked up the seam and regularly separated against a talented LB group for the North Squad. Seeing him handle Carl Nassib one on one in pass protection on more than one occasion was both impressive for him and disappointing for Nassib. Vannett was a bit too physical at the top of his stem today but he appeared to reel it in and the natural athleticism that was a bit hidden as a Buckeye really started to shine.
  4. QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State – Wentz is a player I’ve resisted fully embracing since last summer. He’s got some questions that I’m never going to be able to answer or feel confident about. But as practice settled in today, so did Wentz. A few mistimed throws to receivers that he’d never thrown to before aside, Wentz really started to zip the ball around. Easily got back away from center. Threw with timing. The thing that stood out the most to me was his arm is much more live in person than I can ever recall it being on tape. Ball trajectory n throws to the far side of the field was notably flatter (better zip/velocity) than any of the other Quarterbacks on the North roster. That alone will cause me to go back and double check the tape on Wentz…and that’s a ‘Win’ on the day for him.
  5. DB Cyrus Jones, Alabama – Jones is very well built for his frame (5096, 196, 9.25″ hand, 31.25″ arm) and showed physicality, ball skills and impressive foot efficiency in WR/DB one on one drills today. Jones handled all comers well and was also able to play out from underneath of his base of support as footing started to deteriorate deeper into practice thanks to intermittent rain showers.
http://draftbreakdown.com/kyle-crabbs-senior-bowl-recap-day-1/

QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State – Wentz is a player I’ve resisted fully embracing since last summer. He’s got some questions that I’m never going to be able to answer or feel confident about. But as practice settled in today, so did Wentz. A few mistimed throws to receivers that he’d never thrown to before aside, Wentz really started to zip the ball around. Easily got back away from center. Threw with timing. The thing that stood out the most to me was his arm is much more live in person than I can ever recall it being on tape. Ball trajectory n throws to the far side of the field was notably flatter (better zip/velocity) than any of the other Quarterbacks on the North roster. That alone will cause me to go back and double check the tape on Wentz…and that’s a ‘Win’ on the day for him.

JBS

Reaction score
No reason to throw in the "or second round". At all.

Normally when you get lucky like that, you publicize the positive.

Yeah, that's true...I agree w this...garrett is anything but a normal guy though

gmoney112

Reaction score
Second round? Who on earth had Collins as a "second round" player?

Probably just because of his position and the fact we just took a Guard in the first round this year.

I still can't believe he wasn't drafted. That left side of the line is going to be awesome. Seeing him toss Wagner and Thomas into the first row of the stands as a rookie was great. I bet a lot of teams are kicking themselves.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He is not really a ginger if you look hard.

Not ginger ginger, like Dalton.

He could be almost like, fair haired if you just squint your eyes.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's possible that Lynch is the only option left and i'm fine with that
he needs more time and he'll get it hopefully

Lynch would be playing wingman so your buddy can have fun with a nice piece of Wentz while you entertain her fat friend.

The kind that snort when they laugh. No thank you.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Some Ex-NFL scouts say that about prospects that bust every year

Yea, and that's my point, most of the important stuff we really won't know, but Goff gets a bonus for playing in the Pac 12 vs Missouri Valley Football Conference, which you may want to ignore, but it does matter. Again, it is not the end all be all, but it's part of the equation.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I mean, cmon. Look at how this all played out. We are coming off a 12 win season where we get absolutely screwed out of a potential NFC Championship appearance. We follow that up with a nightmare season with critical injures and Romo showing this derp front office that he's not for long in this league. Win 4 games, earning us a top 5 pick. Nobody expected any of that.

We have the cap room to make additions in free agency to help immediately. We are finally ready to draft our QB.

Everybody knows Cleveland's going Goff. So everybody assumes the Cowboys won't have their guy, Lynch is a reach, and then all of a sudden a man emerges from the shadows with the skill set of John Elway, the mental composure of Troy Aikman and the leadership of Tom Brady.

Oh, and get this, he's a ginger too.

Did I mention because of that disaster of a season we get to coach the Senior Bowl and this freckled football messiah? Uh, who's writing this script here? Rowdy?

Who is going to relate to him better than our own head coach? They are gingers. They are not real people. Only a ginger understands another ginger. They can communicate with their eyes. I've seen them do it. They are forming a bond right now that will last a lifetime. A very creepy lifetime.

The Football Gods are finally smiling down upon us once again.

And I said smiling. NOT raining down sunshine. That could be potentially disastrous to this story.

Damn it. I still can't stand you, Risen. But that deserved a like.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is not really a ginger if you look hard.

Not ginger ginger, like Dalton.

He could be almost like, fair haired if you just squint your eyes.

Wait. You're not squinting watching this? Dude. I think you need special glasses for that.