Shaun Chapas RB Georgia

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Nirvana;3934594 said:
Gronk is out of here dude.

I haven't nothing invested in his staying, I just don't want to get stuck with rookies blocking for Romo year after year.

Hopefully he sticks.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SDogo;3934592 said:
I'm sorry dbair, I'm actually kind of as much in shock that you know so little about the Cowboys offense as you were that I had no idea who this kid is.

So you forgot Deon Anderson was on the team from 2007-2009 too?

Phillips made the team in 2009 as the 3rd TE. They used him all over, but him making the team that yr didnt result in cutting the FB off the team. Anderson played quite a bit.

The problem with Anderson is he was no factor in the offense as anythign other than a blocker. When he was in there, teams could key more on the play being a run. And even if it wasnt, Anderson was no threat as a receiver.

Hence why Phillips started playing more.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
SDogo;3934587 said:
I have no problem with the pick, just don't know much about him and don't see a roster spot for him. Dallas is not going to keep 3 RB's/3 TE's and a FB on the active roster and Garrett's offense does not require a true FB. Unless John Phillips struggles I dont see how he makes the team.

don't alot of teams keep 3rb, 3 te's and a FB? Idk i'm just asking I thought that was normal. Or we could be trading bennett once we find out if phillips is alright but i doubt that. Bennett is our best blocker.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
TheCount;3934606 said:
I haven't nothing invested in his staying, I just don't want to get stuck with rookies blocking for Romo year after year.

Hopefully he sticks.

Given Bennett is back and Phillips is healthy I'll bet my first born he won't and if he does he will be on the practice squad in case one of the TE's goes down.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3934598 said:
:lmao:

What a whiner.

You are acting like Nors and eduncan.

No, i am not kidding. What you are doing is EXACTLY what they would do on draft day.

COMPLAIN about every single pick and start spouting off the hip when they did not have good information.

I am going to call you on it. If you do not like it then put me on ignore.

Good retort. "Ignore me." "No, YOU ignore ME!"

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Walker;3934603 said:
Mentioned wantings to date Jessica Simpson around the one minute mark. Looks like Romo will have the kid destroyed in training camp :laugh2: .

Everyone wants to hit Jessica...so does Shango!
:laugh2:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
SDogo;3934599 said:
What year was John Phillips drafted?

Two years ago and Cricket remained on the team with him.

Cricket was in a weird place after the nightclub incident and his recognition in pass protection waned.

I could see the team keeping a truer fullback to go along with Phillips, an F-back, but no way they keep two true FB.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;3934610 said:
2009. And Anderson was on the team.

Yeah, I don't see the big deal. Anderson was used plenty until his knee started giving him problems.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being an LSU fan, I know where Chapas is coming from--namely, playing in a pro style offense at George. Coming into training camp, he will have an immediate advantage over Gronkowski. He may be destined for the practice squad initially, but he is more ready for the next level than many players at their respective positions.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3934477 said:
6-2 and 247.

I have no clue how good he is, but I'm glad to see us take a FB.

I'm tired of the constant H-backs taking their place. These 6-5 and 6-6 guys who were TEs just don't block as well IMO.

Agreed...he's a true, traditional FB...he blocked for Georgia rb's for two years. He'll be great competition for Gronkowski, and he may make the team and push Gronk off, which is fine by me. I would hate going to camp with only 1 FB and no competition when Gronk's performance wasn't exactly standout.

Solid pick...Garrett is all about competition. May the best man win.

802dave

Reaction score
Walker;3934603 said:
Mentioned wantings to date Jessica Simpson around the one minute mark. Looks like Romo will have the kid destroyed in training camp :laugh2: .

Jessica may have paid Gronk to step aside...

SDogo

Reaction score
dbair1967;3934610 said:
2009. And Anderson was on the team.

What happened to Anderson when Phillips developed into a player and blocker?

Gone............

Garrett uses the TE's in a FB/H-Back role. I dont know how many times you need to see Witten lined up at FB or Phillips for that matter when he was healthy to see this.

Thus John Phillips vs Shaun Chapas=Phillips wins every time when healthy.

Chapas makes this team as a practice squad player at most if Phillips is healthy.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TheCount;3934613 said:
Good retort. "Ignore me." "No, YOU ignore ME!"

I am just asking you to calm down and learn about players before going off.
I know your vision of how this was to be did not happen.
its going to be okay.

SDogo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3934617 said:
Yeah, I don't see the big deal. Anderson was used plenty until his knee started giving him problems.

Until Phillips showed he can play then we dumped the FB for 3 TE's.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
SDogo;3934621 said:
What happened to Anderson when Phillips developed into a player and blocker?

Gone............

Garrett uses the TE's in a FB/H-Back role. I dont know how many times you need to see Witten lined up at FB or Phillips for that matter when he was healthy to see this.

Thus John Phillips vs Shaun Chapas=Phillips wins every time when healthy.

Chapas makes this team as a practice squad player at most if Phillips is healthy.

Phillips was hurt in TC before Anderson was cut.

SDogo

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3934627 said:
Phillips was hurt in TC before Anderson was cut.

No he was hurt in a preseason game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;3934476 said:
Seriously JG is making his statement a little too much right now. I know he wants tough smart football players, but can we please draft someone who's going to contribute to this team down the road?

How do we know he won't contribute any more or less than a DE or S at this point. Any player here, is not expecte to step in and start. They all are either for depth and must play ST and a situational player. Hopefully will develop into a solid back up, and IF we are lucky, an eventual starter. So if he was BPA on the draft board, then draft him.

We need FB compitition anyway, something we been lacking. Everytime we seem to have a decent FB, they end up a disappointment.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SDogo;3934587 said:
I have no problem with the pick, just don't know much about him and don't see a roster spot for him. Dallas is not going to keep 3 RB's/3 TE's and a FB on the active roster and Garrett's offense does not require a true FB. Unless John Phillips struggles I dont see how he makes the team.

They did exactly that from 2007-2009