Shaun Chapas RB Georgia

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
DallasEast;3934659 said:
Shaun Chapas, along with DeMarco Murray, were both drafted in the hope that they can shore of Tony Romo's protection in passing situations. Where will Jason Garrett want John Phillips on many of those downs? In the backfield protecting Romo or running a pass pattern?

Typically passing situation IS NOT when you say the TE's lined up in the backfield so I don't think that really comes into play.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DallasEast;3934659 said:
Shaun Chapas, along with DeMarco Murray, were both drafted in the hope that they can shore of Tony Romo's protection in passing situations. Where will Jason Garrett want John Phillips on many of those downs? In the backfield protecting Romo or running a pass pattern?

That's a great question actually, It's not like Bennett is a bad blocker either so you can't say you'd put Phillips in on pass rush situations.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SDogo;3934662 said:
Maybe you mis understood the part that we will have to agree to disagree because I dont feel I'm wrong and believe I'm right. Things have changed.............

So why did the guy who's the HC and OC decide to draft a guy who's a true FB today?

Kinda wouldnt make much sense for us to pick the guy if the person running the whole thing thought there was no role for him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SDogo;3934668 said:
Typically passing situation IS NOT when you say the TE's lined up in the backfield so I don't think that really comes into play.
You mean the primary tight end or the second or third string options?

Merlin

Reaction score
dbair1967;3934671 said:
So why did the guy who's the HC and OC decide to draft a guy who's a true FB today?

Kinda wouldnt make much sense for us to pick the guy if the person running the whole thing thought there was no role for him.

Very good point. I agree.

SDogo

Reaction score
dbair1967;3934671 said:

I get your point, you made it. I heard it. I don't agree. We don't agree, I'm more upset Lawrence Guy was just taken then I am we don't agree.

It's ok

SDogo

Reaction score
DallasEast;3934674 said:
You mean the primary tight end or the second or third string options?

Typically anytime you see one of our TE's motion into the backfield it's a sign a run play is coming. Its one of the issues I hope Garrett designs plays off of.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3934544 said:
I like Chapas as a football player but don't really see where he fits unless Phillips' recovery isn't going as well as one could hope.

Gronkowski only made the team because of that injury and a healthy Phillips will take his roster spot so whose spot is Chapas looking at?

That's wrong. We normally keep three tight ends and a fullback. Gronkowski took the place of Deon Anderson.

I would think the fullback snaps would be split between Phillips and Chapas. Garrett still seems to like having a true fullback on the team.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
dbair1967;3934671 said:

Garrett played with a true fullback...and the personnel that he acquired while working for Wade was what he had to work with.

Now that this is his team...maybe he will have a completely different outlook on what he is going to do on offense with what he wants?;)

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
SDogo;3934654 said:
catch up guys, I'm done ;)

Then were not going to be able to come to any conclusion.

Your entire premise was based on Anderson being cut for Phillips as evidence that they will not do so again.

Phillips was hurt in early August in a PS game as camp was winding down and Anderson was cut while injured 6 weeks later after the season had started.

We keep 4 TE/FB types and have for more than 5 years including last year.

I just do not see how your conclusions hold up if these things you base them on are not true.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SDogo;3934678 said:
Typically anytime you see one of our TE's motion into the backfield it's a sign a run play is coming. Its one of the issues I hope Garrett designs plays off of.
Bold. <--Exactly, but we're discussing passing situations.

SDogo

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3934684 said:
Then were not going to be able to come to any conclusion.

We wont anyways. Your not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. I'm ok with that. Given the make up of the team, the situation at other positions and how they need to be filled, the direction the offense has been going I have my reasons for believing what I believe just like you have yours.

It's ok, I respect yours but I'm not going to change my mind and I'm getting to damn hungry and still have to run to the store to get worked up about it.:p:

SDogo

Reaction score
DallasEast;3934689 said:
Bold. <--Exactly, but we're discussing passing situations.

I would figure you would much prefer Murray in the backfield then a FB if your going to keep anyone back there. He just as good at picking up the blitz and offers more in the passing game.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
SDogo;3934698 said:
We wont anyways. Your not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. I'm ok with that. Given the make up of the team, the situation at other positions and how they need to be filled, the direction the offense has been going I have my reasons for believing what I believe just like you have yours.

It's ok, I respect yours but I'm not going to change my mind and I'm getting to damn hungry and still have to run to the store to get worked up about it.:p:

What so you think is the reason that he was drafted if not for the possibly of making the team?
:confused:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheDallasDon;3934472 said:
Does this mean that Choice is gone?

I've been saying since last season ended it wouldn't surprise me to see both Barber and Choice gone Barber cut and Choice traded. Barber looks finished and the Cowboys clearly aren't high on Choice.

He's not good on special teams and he doesn't get many carries. I would be looking to trade him for whatever pick I could get once we have a new CBA.

I wanted to see the Cowboys draft a big back that could pick up some tough yards and the scouting report on Chapas is he's an effective short yardage back with a high motor.

According to the report he's also a good lead blocker and has a nice set of hands.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
SDogo;3934698 said:

You are getting me wrong.

I do not watch NCAA football. I think its wrong and refuse to support it.

As such I know very little about these players. I also have a tremendous respect for your opinions. Its just seems to me that your conclusions are based on incorrect premise like the cause and effect of andersons' release.

I am still up in the air on whether i think this guy can block owrth a flip. info seems all ove rthe place.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SDogo;3934700 said:
I would figure you would much prefer Murray in the backfield then a FB if your going to keep anyone back there. He just as good at picking up the blitz and offers more in the passing game.
Yet, in formations which call for only the fullback and tailback in the backfield, the tailback will become your last receiving option out of the backfield. You still need someone to protect the quarterback in those situations. Additionally, Murray is the better receiving prospect of the two incoming players. [Edit] If both players are on the field (without Felix Jones in the mix), Murray will be the number one failback option.