CFZ Should Dak Prescott be paid the up and coming contract?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What choice do they have? They are completely unprepared to move on without him. It's their own fault.

As soon as Dak signed that contract they should have worked to draft his future replacement. At the very least this would have provided competition which may have elevated Dak's play to a degree. It would have also provided leverage in contract negotiations.
Everyone can see the Cowboys have no choice but to extend Dak...like @plasticman said above. My biggest problem is if Dak will return the favor and give the Cowboys a discount since Jerry already gave Dak what he wanted 2 years ago with Dak's initial big contract. Return the favor, Dak, and show everyone you are willing to help the team during a contract extension the way the team previously helped you. Give a discount so the team can afford to keep more key players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a choice coming up. They have a lot of very good players and they won't be able to keep everyone if they sign Dak too. If some of us ran the team they wouldn't need a QB right now!
What would you do @Hadenough ? Let's see your idea to fix this.

I say the Cowboys should hold up on giving Dak an extension until after this season. Also, the Cowboys definitely need to draft a QB early in next year's draft. Plus, play hardball with Dak, don't cave in to his super greedy agent's demands of dishing out another franchise record big contract. Instead, demand Dak give the team a discount and be reasonable on a second big extension. Tell Dak, "Work with us by giving the team a discount since we already gave you a record big contract. If not, we're going to draft your replacement and look to trade you after this 2023 season. Make a choice. Do you want to remain a Dallas Cowboy or do you prefer to go elsewhere for much more money? What matters most to you now that we paid you what you wanted 2 years ago?"

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
2024 Draft Dallas trades Micah, Tyler and our 1 to whomever for the Top QB available in 24. Love Micah but it’s the only way that we get a stud at qb for 5 years at a cheapo rate. Cannot see resigning Dak for 4/5 years for $50m+. He will be 35-36 at that point.
What a ridiculous post! SMH :facepalm:

blueblood70

Reaction score
The big question not being seen is the amount of secondary contracts that would be lost and players playing big roles here and now and probably for two more years as well...will be lost and team dynamics affected. Myself, I'm drafting a #1 round offensive player in the 2024 draft...here and now planning for.

This based upon the hitting on first round drafted offensive line hits over the past 10 seasons!

For this season that unit has Smith, Smith, and Martin. Next season, who knows?
Explain??

because like I said in my quote even if you sign him to a long term extension he's making about what he's going to be making if not more.

so how does this affect signing the other players other teams are doing it. So with two more years on Prescott steel you can sign all three players coming up and backload it assuming Prescott might not be here in 2025 and hopefully have a plan between now and 2025 for who might be your next quarterback that'd be the way to sign everyone and even then we still need to have that conversation.

I mean we cut zeke, everyone else on offense is making about an average salary for their positions nothing's breaking the bank.... so that means just like Josh Allen has Stephon diggs on a big contract there's no reason you can't have CD lamb and on the other side I'm sure we're going to have to move on from tank that puts money back on the table for defense for Micah Parsons.

I mean you got Sam Williams coming up and other guys on this team that could probably fill that hole from DeMarcus Lawrence leaving that would be a big contract gone.

So let's chat about how Prescott's salary is affecting the rest of the team because I see other teams with their quarterbacks on top ten salaries also still paying most of their guys at least at key positions.. Maybe we lose one of them who knows maybe Trayvon diggs gets traded but it isn't gonna be because of Prescott salary unless you know something I don't.

I can look around ,we can go look at the dynamics of the top ten quarterback salaries versus the other contracts on the team they're on... I mean look how much money Cleveland is put out for,

I mean they overpay everyone I mean that owner is kind of ridiculous, but they have one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league all guaranteed they can't get rid of him and they also have one of the higher paid receivers pass rushers I believe the cornerback I mean I don't pay attention to Cleveland that much I just know they put out a ton of money at key positions.. Not saying they should be the poster Childs for winning teams the way they're doing business but that's just an example..

blueblood70

Reaction score
What would kill the team is leaving us without a viable QB. The NFC East has turned into a beast. Three teams in our division made the playoffs last season, and the only one who didn’t doesn’t have a viable QB. The Cowboys would be in the same boat as Washington without a viable QB. If some of you ran the team, the Cowboys would be stuck with a Jacoby Brissett, or some other castoff.
You're about to get replies saying Jacoby brissett is close to DAK and it would be a good trade off.. that's not what I'm saying but that's what the people around here feel like because they're still some people literally on social media that thinks we could have won that game against San Francisco at Cooper rush and at Cooper rush would be a better quarterback for this team with this defense but they forgot about the offensive line the run game and the issues at wide receiver that Cooper did not have to play with during his little five game stint which by the way he was far from perfect and he's way overrated as if Prescott wouldn't have won all five of those games possibly that is the mindset of some of this fan base. Some of the fan base still needs to be reminded of how great the entire team played during that five game stretch and how they didn't play like that for about six or seven games stretched during the middle of the season where Prescott was forced they have to score a ton of points to win the games they were big leads being blown and losing games in overtime Cooper rush and Jacoby brissett are not winning games in that type of scenario.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So Dak is Roger the Dodger these days!
Answer the question, son...as far as stats, give a comparison of those...even. The statement was tied into limitation of age on development of a quarterback ... for the seeing impaired group!

He was an Officer in the Navy for four years after Annapolis and then when he joined the Cowboys took three years before he was even given his own gig with Landry.

He also won the only two Lombardi trophies that were Landry's.

At what age did he then retire? AGE?

If you want a conversation...stay out of the porta-potty.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Unless Dak continues to regress this upcoming season, we don’t need to be using one of our top two picks on a QB. If he does continue to regress we need to start looking high in the draft for a QB, however using a high pick on a QB will set us back at least early on. Would rather have a high pick on the field helping us, not standing on the sidelines carrying a clipboard. When you draft a QB high, their chances of turning into a franchise QB are less than 50-50. You’re passing up some very good football players to draft them and if they fail it sets you back.
You're dang right it will set us back

especially if those picks fail like most of them do...

we look at all the draft picks that Denver, Washington, Indianapolis, Cleveland.. Oh my God Cleveland had like what some years three first round picks two first round picks over a decade and couldn't find a quarterback so they overpaid to Sean Watson they gave up teams have given up like Denver with Russell Wilson The Jets have gave up the drafts are not guaranteed..

I don't care where you picked them ask Trey Lance you think the 49ers are geniuses no they're not actually they were dumb they moved up three spots with three first round picks or whatever the scenario was to get Trey Lance you right now looks like a bust and they stumbled upon Brock Purdy 100% dumb luck, who we don't even know yet long term what he's going to bring to the table..

I mean this place thinks you could just go out like bill Parcells or whoever said dial up one 800 Hall of Fame quarterback, that's not how it works this process could take forever we've seen it take forever for some teams and other teams you end up with a kyler Murray or a type a quarterback similar to him who are not better than Prescott. they may be in the same zip code somewhere but I don't know why the fan base thinks it's going to be that easy to get a new quarterback. if we move on from Prescott no matter where we pick and how much resources we dump in it we've seen the league the bottom 16 teams or even more struggling to find a quarterback in the draft or even in the free agent market..

And I think the best example is with the New York Giants how in the world do you give that kind of money to Daniel Jones in a world in which GM's and owners know how hard it is to find a top ten quarterback let alone one like Daniel Jones who's average at best but can do enough.

CCBoy

Reaction score
yep, ridiculous isn't it?
Dak couldn't have earned an Appointment to a Service Academy, but is a decent quarterback with an improvement going on to assist him.

Troy Aikman had a system to help him at Dallas.

Troy was about to ask to be traded... No faith then in Jimmy Johnson for a reason?

After the successful change in scheme and Coordinator, things on the team changed some what...now didn't it?

blueblood70

Reaction score
So Dak is Roger the Dodger these days!
I think what they're trying to get through to some fans is it takes some players, especially at quarterback a while to breakthrough to win big.

what this fan base wants they want a NFC championship game and a Super Bowl it took players like Roger Staubach but we can go back and took Peyton Manning eight seasons before he finally started winning, he had a losing record in the playoffs but he was a very good high stat production player but it happens all over the NFL..

there's a literally somebody posted on another Prescott, surprising another Prescott thread, of all the other quarterbacks and how many years it took them to finally win a Super Bowl and a lot of them were up there in year 8,9,10,13

I mean it took Matthew Stafford leaving a team and going to another one it took that's thirteen years in his career.

So I think all they're trying to say is some teams and fans are a little bit more patient and understand that it's no blueprint to just win a Super Bowl. We all would like it to happen faster or more often but again there are a lot of examples of where it has taken this long for a quarterback to breakthrough.

it's a team game 100% you have to have the right team the right coaches and they have to show up on that day and play their best game and I can go back to every one of those playoff games that Prescott's been part of and breakdown the top five reason we lost and most of the time he's not in the top five he might be 6 he didn't play well last year but neither did a bunch of other players especially on offense there were plays missed even on defense they were drives given up there were big plays that weren't made that they had the opportunity to make championships teams make those plays that's why a player like Matthew Stafford could have 20 turnovers and two in the Super bowl and still win!

the man was the same player that he was in Detroit, he was basically Tony Romo or Prescott but got on the right team at the right time.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
so dak is now Roger. wow just wow. I put this up there with the guy who said dak was better than Mahomes. smh....

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What would you do @Hadenough ? Let's see your idea to fix this.

I say the Cowboys should hold up on giving Dak an extension until after this season. Also, the Cowboys definitely need to draft a QB early in next year's draft. Plus, play hardball with Dak, don't cave in to his super greedy agent's demands of dishing out another franchise record big contract. Instead, demand Dak give the team a discount and be reasonable on a second big extension. Tell Dak, "Work with us by giving the team a discount since we already gave you a record big contract. If not, we're going to draft your replacement and look to trade you after this 2023 season. Make a choice. Do you want to remain a Dallas Cowboy or do you prefer to go elsewhere for much more money? What matters most to you now that we paid you what you wanted 2 years ago?"
If Dak isn't able to show us he can lead the team to a SB then we either play the Cousins route and hope, or the 49ers/Eagles route and work around a strong roster....McClay or lesser QB (ala 2016) could be the option.
The problem with Dak's team friendly contract is the remaining $60+m still bites in 2024 and 2025.
This is Dak's year (unless saving CAP is a ploy to have enough CAP to have two years)....but this (2024) is likely to be our better roster (though an argument could be made that 2025, and a year further using the new(ish) scheme would offset the lesser talent).

CCBoy

Reaction score
Explain??

because like I said in my quote even if you sign him to a long term extension he's making about what he's going to be making if not more.

so how does this affect signing the other players other teams are doing it. So with two more years on Prescott steel you can sign all three players coming up and backload it assuming Prescott might not be here in 2025 and hopefully have a plan between now and 2025 for who might be your next quarterback that'd be the way to sign everyone and even then we still need to have that conversation.

I mean we cut zeke, everyone else on offense is making about an average salary for their positions nothing's breaking the bank.... so that means just like Josh Allen has Stephon diggs on a big contract there's no reason you can't have CD lamb and on the other side I'm sure we're going to have to move on from tank that puts money back on the table for defense for Micah Parsons.

I mean you got Sam Williams coming up and other guys on this team that could probably fill that hole from DeMarcus Lawrence leaving that would be a big contract gone.

So let's chat about how Prescott's salary is affecting the rest of the team because I see other teams with their quarterbacks on top ten salaries also still paying most of their guys at least at key positions.. Maybe we lose one of them who knows maybe Trayvon diggs gets traded but it isn't gonna be because of Prescott salary unless you know something I don't.

I can look around ,we can go look at the dynamics of the top ten quarterback salaries versus the other contracts on the team they're on... I mean look how much money Cleveland is put out for,

I mean they overpay everyone I mean that owner is kind of ridiculous, but they have one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league all guaranteed they can't get rid of him and they also have one of the higher paid receivers pass rushers I believe the cornerback I mean I don't pay attention to Cleveland that much I just know they put out a ton of money at key positions.. Not saying they should be the poster Childs for winning teams the way they're doing business but that's just an example..
The biggest problem once free agency and cap limits were added, was retaining to shelf players significantly.

There is a possible two year window involved with Dak Prescott.

Right now there is a significant available cap room available with the team's three young and top players, and the team's top leader at QB. To be smart, one has to maneuver to retain all four in the smartest possible way. Stephen has judgement on maintaining required cash flow and the scouting department/coaches have knowledge on the projection or current talent.

Right now, Lamb, Parsons, and Diggs all need to be resigned in a relatively short time period. Smart gamblers would include Prescott in that picture to allow that group to receive league wide top levels and remain part of a strong talented group with a top WR, CB, and pass rusher...all very important pieces for today's NFL.

Money in the cap will be going up at least for the next two years to help cover, if acted upon shortly.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course he should be paid, it's a contract and the Joneses want to keep him. They are not antsy to get in the QB derby draft and take a chance on being wrong when most fans think they're so close to right now.

The anti-Prescott people would try to make us believe everyone else sees what they see. They don't.

The Joneses see a NFL Man of the Year, most covered QB in the NFL and his former OC called him the best leader he's ever seen at QB. What's not to like from an ownership point of view? Don't think what this looks like isn't important to their sponsors. Dak Prescott is a good guy to a lot of the fans and that matters.

Think the Joneses didn't get all fired up when he got MotY? Think about all of those parents that want this to be the type man their kids look up to, a guy that gives of himself to his community.

There are far more fans looking for Prescott to shut the media up about those picks than those wanting him to fail. In just the sense of fair play, I want to see him put that behind him because Josh Allen, everybody's top 5 QB, had a season just as bad, if not worse, but he escapes the magnifying glass because he's not the DC QB.

I do not think any of us know the pressure that comes with being that guy. Screw up in the last game of the season and the pressure gets turned up on high because of all the fans in the country, Cowboys fans are the least in touch with reality about just how much the QB is responsible for within the team.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
The biggest problem once free agency and cap limits were added, was retaining to shelf players significantly.

There is a possible two year window involved with Dak Prescott.

Right now there is a significant available cap room available with the team's three young and top players, and the team's top leader at QB. To be smart, one has to maneuver to retain all four in the smartest possible way. Stephen has judgement on maintaining required cash flow and the scouting department/coaches have knowledge on the projection or current talent.

Right now, Lamb, Parsons, and Diggs all need to be resigned in a relatively short time period. Smart gamblers would include Prescott in that picture to allow that group to receive league wide top levels and remain part of a strong talented group with a top WR, CB, and pass rusher...all very important pieces for today's NFL.

Money in the cap will be going up at least for the next two years to help cover, if acted upon shortly.
Well that's a two way St. though don't blame the front office they've gotta convince these three players to sign a contract that's good for both sides and a lot of it's probably going to be back loaded when the possibility of Prescott not being here

so while everyone here still seems convinced we could have signed Prescott to a cheaper deal earlier and don't realize we've ended up in the same boat anyway,

there's no way Prescott or his agents were gonna allow him to sign a deal for 35 million a year back in 2019 or 2018 without coming back to the table and threatening to hold out in 2020, they literally would have had at least in 2021 had to restructure that contract and he'd be making 50 million now anyway.

I mean isn't it the same, I mean I'm trying to use common sense here and see the history of the NFL and how this works with players and agents and the front office there's no way in hell you were going to get over on Prescott and his agent they may have taken that money for two to three years but just like the one he got he made sure it was a short one not a long one like Kansas City did with mahomes who by the way are restructuring it anyway. So what good was the 10 year contract they're doing it on their own... I mean he deserves it but still the 10 year contract meant nothing players are going to come back and say hey I want to be market because I deserve it.

So with those three players you're talking about the need of contract it's takes a lot of moving parts to agree to a deal that works for everyone...

you don't know what's going on behind the scenes, they are working on deals for all those players, I guarantee it they just don't let the fans know and fans get all know it all and they think they're Internet GM's and they're blaming the front office for not getting deals done early, when you don't know anything that's going on that they decide not to allow you to know..
that's how this works, it's a business, they're not discussing this stuff in the public just like Prescott's extension and CD Lamb, Trayvon diggs, and Micah Parsons. I'm sure they're all having some discussions even if it's just in the infancy stages I'm sure they're having some discussions they're just not gonna report everything to us and it drives this day and age fanbase crazy because they think they should know everything because they know too much already with the Internet and social media there the over saturation of information.

Flamma

Reaction score
They have the choice NOT to waste another pool of talented players at the mercy of # 4.
How many playoff games does he need to cost us I wonder till Jerry gets the message?????
Unfortunately we have little alternatives at the moment. Dak is capable with the proper support around him and coaching. But it won't be easy. I figure Dallas has about a 2-4 year window here, we'll need a capable QB. Dak is what we have. Without him, we have no window at the moment.

I'm just hoping they wait until next year to extend him. Just in case he completely craps the bed in 2023. They've already restructured him, they don't need to extend him until next year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Of course he should be paid, it's a contract and the Joneses want to keep him. They are not antsy to get in the QB derby draft and take a chance on being wrong when most fans think they're so close to right now.

The anti-Prescott people would try to make us believe everyone else sees what they see. They don't.

The Joneses see a NFL Man of the Year, most covered QB in the NFL and his former OC called him the best leader he's ever seen at QB. What's not to like from an ownership point of view? Don't think what this looks like isn't important to their sponsors. Dak Prescott is a good guy to a lot of the fans and that matters.

Think the Joneses didn't get all fired up when he got MotY? Think about all of those parents that want this to be the type man their kids look up to, a guy that gives of himslef to his community.

There are far more fans looking for Prescott to shut the media up about those picks than those wanting him to fail. In just the sense of fair play, I want to see him put that behind him because Josh Allen, everybody's top 5 QB, had a season just as bad, if not worse, but he escapes the magnifying glass because he's not the DC QB.

I do not think any of us know the pressure that comes with being that guy. Screw up in the last game of the season and the pressure gets turned up on high because of all the fans in the country, Cowboys fans are the least in touch with reality about just how much the QB is responsible for within the team.
Good focus there... :starspin:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Unfortunately we have little alternatives at the moment. Dak is capable with the proper support around him and coaching. But it won't be easy. I figure Dallas has about a 2-4 year window here, we'll need a capable QB. Dak is what we have. Without him, we have no window at the moment.

I'm just hoping they wait until next year to extend him. Just in case he completely craps the bed in 2023. They've already restructured him, they don't need to extend him until next year.
I'm not even trying to apologize for Dak...he just needs a disciplined focus that he turns on and off. That comes with great support and time with a unit, both.

This coaching staff should keep them always moving into the zone and keeping momentum in their side of the field.

Last edited: