Should QB's be limited how much they make?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The percentage QB’s make in comparison to Salary Cap punctuates their importance in not only the success of the team but the promotion of the product.

We need to always keep in mind that the NFL is not just about a football team winning games. It’s a business first and has become the largest sports entertainment entity in the country.

The contributions Jerry has revolutionized which earned him induction into the HOF has paved the way for less importance in generating revenue from the success on the field.

The NFL is currently the only professional sports league where all teams are profitable despite their results on the field.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The percentage QB’s make in comparison to Salary Cap punctuates their importance in not only the success of the team but the promotion of the product. We need to always keep in mind that the NFL is not just about a football team winning games. It’s a business first and has become the largest sports entertainment entity in the country. The contributions Jerry has revolutionized which earned him induction into the HOF has paved the way for less importance in generating revenue from the success on the field.
The NFL is currently the only professional sports league where all teams are profitable despite their results on the field.

Which is just the opposite of "Free Market" value.
You make it sound like that's a good thing.
Sorry, but I disagree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which is just the opposite of "Free Market" value.
My point is QB’s drive the revenue. Not just the team’s success.

Just like with Romo and even Dak now. It’s not just about winning games. It’s about drawing fans in.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
My point is QB’s drive the revenue. Not just the team’s success.

Just like with Romo and even Dak now. It’s not just about winning games. It’s about drawing fans in.

Welllll, judging by the predominant attitude of the fans, I'd say IT IS just about winning games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember constantly talking online, on forums like this, about the negatve ramifications of a restrictive salary cap like the NFL's over two decades ago. I definitely did not like the concept of the first ratified CBA in the early 90's.

However, my dislike for the cap was met with counter-arguments that the league would prosper by spreading the wealth of talent via 'truer' free agency because of the cap. Superimposed restraint on how much owners could pay players would make more balanced teams since more talent would follow the money.

Some people got exactly what they wanted. Sure, the Patriots have exploited the current salary cap/free agency system to the max but the overall league is watered down compared to decades ago. Even so, the most ironic consequence has been how some fans and media focus their disapproval at players, who try maximizing their earning potential while battling the exact financial hindrances imposed by the same system that was supported so strongly in its beginning. They STILL do.

Frankly, I have never cared about the fortunes of other teams and their fans. I only care about Dallas. It would not matter to me at all if the NFL's hard cap dissolved today. The current bickering about how much a player wants would disappear along with it. It would no longer matter if Jerry Jones wrote Dak Prescott a blank check because he would pay every player worth keeping also. And if some other owners could not match the spending spree, so be it. I still would not care about their inability to maintain 'competitive balance'.

/rant

conner01

Reaction score
honestly i doubt a QB would make 50 mil a year if we didn't have a salary cap. The whole point of the salary cap was to keep the value of players artificially low so the owners can rake in more of the profit.
That’s true but they put the rule in to protect them from themselves
Some teams would be cheap, some would spend, atleast in the short term to try to win
The cap creates parity which the league wants and is good for the league. The cap protects owners from themselves. The problem with the cap is so much if it goes to one position and it’s getting where even an avg QB is getting elite money for another position
Cousin makes much more than the leagues best pass rusher is a prime example.

John813

Reaction score
You limit the cap number on QB's, the rest of the position cap hits will rise.

I wouldn't mind something like what the NHL does, but honestly I don't really care if they cap it or not.

@DallasEast , IMO I believe even the richest owners like a cap. It helps them maximize profits. Sure, you could try to build an "all-star" team at 300mil, but if you already have a sold out stadium and make the playoffs most years, what additional money will you make, by spending and extra 100mil plus?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dear Fellow Fanzone Freaks--- I am so sick and tired of how much money QB's make in NFL compared

the rest of the players on a team...plus it cripples the team from being able to put quality players

at other positions....we have all heard the top 6 QB's who make the most money in NFL were not even

in the playoffs
...i am so sick of it...the good teams have QB's that take less so other players can make

more and have a better team.
..i wish Dak would step up and say...i am only taking 15 mil a year cause

i want and need good players around me!!...but he wont...he will be a money grabber probably

what do you all think????..thanks for your views in advance

sincerely
GORICO

I get your point.

Just want to note that to cut off the list at the top 6, leaves Brees and Luck at the no. 7 and no. 8 top paid quarterbacks, whose teams did make the playoffs. Saints with little question should have been in the SB, and with a veteran qb and SB winning coach, probably would have done better than the Rams, with an average, pretty green qb and a pretty green coach, in the first SB for both. His salary didn't cause the Saints to not be a top team.

And the top 6 salaries have other things besides the money involved, for instance the 49ers way overpaid for Garrapolo, they took a chance he was the next Brady, and could be still, was going great until the injury. Stafford getting a lot of money is not the reason for the Lions not making the playoffs, they've never made the SB, even with lesser paid quarterbacks. Cousins was also greatly overpaid, there's a difference between somebody getting big money due to years of great performances vs. somebody getting big bucks because their team was just stupid. So just taking the raw salary by itself doesn't tell the whole story.

But I agree it's sort of ridiculous for quarterbacks to get so much money, even though they do handle the ball on 90% of the plays, nothing starts until he gets the ball in his hands, if he starts off not reading the defensive setup correctly or doesn't understand the plays, not much is going to work. But then again, if he doesn't have the line to give him at least a few seconds to read the field, a receiver who can get open and catch the ball, a back to run the ball well when they do run it, etc. he can't be effective.

That's the world we live in, I imagine it may change in the next few years, I haven't run the figures but I wonder if the quarterback salaries as a percentage of the cap for each team have gone up more than the percentage increase of the cap itself. In other words, has the average top quarterback salaries gone up say 20% in the last 3 years while the total cap has only gone up 15%, for example? (Again haven't run the numbers, someone probably will).

As long as the quarterbacks get glamorized as gods of football, the trend will continue...

conner01

Reaction score
You limit the cap number on QB's, the rest of the position cap hits will rise.

I wouldn't mind something like what the NHL does, but honestly I don't really care if they cap it or not.

@DallasEast , IMO I believe even the richest owners like a cap. It helps them maximize profits. Sure, you could try to build an "all-star" team at 300mil, but if you already have a sold out stadium and make the playoffs most years, what additional money will you make, by spending and extra 100mil plus?
I don’t watch hockey
Explain what NHL has

John813

Reaction score
I don’t watch hockey
Explain what NHL has

Sorry, should of elaborated more. Similar to what the OP was eluding to, having a max cap for any player at 20% of the salary cap. But of course for the NHL there's less positions than the NFL and well you can have elite forwards or defenders that can be paid the same.

But for the NFL, the % should be lower, maybe 15% to make sense.

conner01

Reaction score
Sorry, should of elaborated more. Similar to what the OP was eluding to, having a max cap for any player at 20% of the salary cap. But of course for the NHL there's less positions than the NFL and well you can have elite forwards or defenders that can be paid the same.

But for the NFL, the % should be lower, maybe 15% to make sense.
With the way revenue is shared that seems the only viable way to do it
Exempting one contract for a drafted player would be great but wouldn’t work with the structure of the cba since it has to come from someone

blueblood70

Reaction score
And then what would a team do if they did that and then violated a NFL rule that teams must use 95% of the cap money each season. The NFL put that rule in because of what other teams in other sports did by jettisoning their high price players and just signing cheap players so the owner could make more money. I believe the most well know team to do it was the Marlins in MLB.
not what we are saying you can use the entire 95% but spread it out to build a better team instead of 4 great players and bunch of Jags, its what happens when you pay a QB 30 mil year , a DE 30 mil year, a CB/DB 30 mil year, and a WR 25mil year and rb 20 mil year..see the issue, where the money for the rest of the team?

this is what the other players are asking for now because the QBs some like Kirk, flacco, Stafford and a ton of other who do not play like 30mil QB they are way overpaid because teams are willing to do it as its the trend, the trend needs to eb bucked and some kind of cap even if its internal you cant overpay any player just because its the market..a new market needs to eb set.. sure the QB should the the highest paid, hes the General but no way should they make so much it can cripple building your team..IMO QBs should be caped at percentage as other positions as well , cant put numbers on it as cap changes and other things but theres got to be a way to figure it out so you have money to have depth along the entire team..

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
That’s true but they put the rule in to protect them from themselves
Some teams would be cheap, some would spend, atleast in the short term to try to win
The cap creates parity which the league wants and is good for the league. The cap protects owners from themselves. The problem with the cap is so much if it goes to one position and it’s getting where even an avg QB is getting elite money for another position
Cousin makes much more than the leagues best pass rusher is a prime example.

yeah this is why they should make the soft cap so teams can sign the players they draft to bigger deals going over the salary cap but have to pay luxury tax that other teams that don't over the cap get to receive.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would not be for limiting how much any player could make. Kinda goes against the American way. But I would like to see two exemptions given to each team per year.

1. They can exempt 1 player's salary from the cap calculations. I would include some provisions as well: the player must have completed at least 3 seasons, the team must announce it by March 1. The team must be at the floor for cap spending by July 1 or they lose the exemption and if they elect to use the exemption, they can not roll over any unused cap space the following year. The exemption can not be used on a Franchise Tagged player.

2. Player exemption on PS. I would like to see the team be able to place an exemption on one player on the practice squad so they are safe. No player can be "tagged" twice, must be a 1st or 2nd year player, must have been an original draftee or UDFA of the team and the player must make the same amount of money as if he was on the 53.

Just my thoughts.

conner01

Reaction score
yeah this is why they should make the soft cap so teams can sign the players they draft to bigger deals going over the salary cap but have to pay luxury tax that other teams that don't over the cap get to receive.
The problem with that is it would send you over the set revenue sharing limits
I like the idea of basically exempting one player you drafted but the problem is it would send teams over the team share of the revenue limits and would come directly out of owners pockets so there is little chance of actually passing that
Limiting the pct of cap for any one contracts keeps the same amount of revenue going to players, doesn’t cost owners anymore, and increases pay for the majority of a roster
I could see both sides liking that, agents hating it

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's a business. This is his life. He should squeeze money out of it. He doesn't have a billionaire super model wife to pay the bills. This next contract largely sets his finances for his family for generations.

Having said that, there are advantages to playing for the Cowboys, with endorsement deals, visibility, and no income tax. But I'm sure Jerry reminds everyone of that.

To be fair, Brady was taking below market contracts way before he ever married a Super Model. In fact, Dak should have never brought that up in his discussions about his contract. You don't involve another person's family in things like this, no matter what the point is, you are trying to get across. Seriously, one of the few stupid things I've seen Dak do IMO.

I think it comes down to how much you want to win. Dak is not, I repeat, not the kind of QB who can be successful with lessor talent around him. If he wants to continue to make money and be successful, then I think he has to think about cap implications. If his goal is to make all the money he can, in order to secure his own situation, then make the contract demands. I would just say this, I think that there is something to be learned from the Aaron Rogers and Joe Flacco situations.

rags747

Reaction score
sure why not though i would settle more for a robust public transportation system? we have more empty houses than there are homeless people and we throw away more food than their are mouths to feed. The idea that we don't have resources to provide the very basic necessities to everyone is just not true, the resources are just being horded.
I think for the most part people really have zero interest in public transportation. Yes in cities of course it works, not so much in suburbs. Resources are being hoarded by?

rags747

Reaction score
Very commendable. But not everyone can afford 225k. I hope she remembers every fathers day.
Believe me it hurt to have to come up with $225k, especially when I see it as a total ripoff but you do what you have to do and she’s our only one so that’s how that goes. Not rich by any means, just made some good decisions along the way and some bad ones but hopefully the good outweigh the bad. Thx...