Should the quarterback position be devalued?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The OP claimed QBs are being devalued. Do you agree with that? He seems to think because the rules are protecting QBs from being hit as violently that they’re not having to do as much. :rolleyes:
My comment was about there being passing teams throughout history. And I do feel the rules protection QB's receive today helps with pocket time and accuracy, at least to a degree. In the early 60's when I started watching, being a QB could be like dead man walking

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
Not even a little accurate. They took out hand fighting on both sides (as a lot of what Jerry Rice did in his prime would be considered OPI today), but that is not what boosted the required accuracy. The reason what defines an accurate QB has changed from 60% to 70% and that being a gunslinger is now out of style is all because of evolutions of how to play QB. Before you could have a canon of an arm throw it 40 yards and trust your guy to come down with it or break it up. It did not have to be that accurate as your guy could adjust in the air. Now the NFL is all about the precise 10-15 yard throws, even on the move. I put a lot of this on Payton and what he did with Brees because a lot of teams saw that and realized that if they can have their QB be more accurate, turn the ball over less, then they can lean on a bunch of medium throws and methodically drive down the field.

The removal of hand fighting and pushing from both sides really just meant that now the QB has to be able to accurately place the ball because there is a lot less room for your WR to fix your error.

Yeah we completely disagree. QB’s didn’t just heave it downfield and have receivers jump ball all the time. All parts of the route could be hindered. Receivers needed to be bigger and stronger to try to fight through all the contact. Passing the ball became easier with less contact. Watch the 1992 NFCCG and let me know how often Aikman just heaved the ball downfield to have his guy outfight the secondary at the point of the catch. He had laser guided accuracy.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah we completely disagree. QB’s didn’t just heave it downfield and have receivers jump ball all the time. All parts of the route could be hindered. Receivers needed to be bigger and stronger to try to fight through all the contact. Passing the ball became easier with less contact. Watch the 1992 NFCCG and let me know how often Aikman just heaved the ball downfield to have his guy outfight the secondary at the point of the catch. He had laser guided accuracy.
It surprises me today how many fans believe Aikman was nothing more than a bus driver. I guess they didn't watch the 90's games.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When you see the good ones like Mahomes and Brady do what they do for their team, you should realize they are rightfully the most valuable players on the field.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
All you have to do is watch older film on youtube & compare to more recent games to easily see that windows were much smaller & more contested before the rules changes.

Perhaps the OP's wording could have been better but there is also no doubt that earlier generations took much more of a beating. Getting slammed off concrete with a thin layer of astroturf on top is much different than what today's player encounter. Say what you will, but the former has a much better chance of being "affected" by the hit, short & long term.

I would lean that today's game is a little more complex but when you listen to Troy & other QB's talk it seems that its not that different. More window dressing but not that different fundamentally.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
My comment was about there being passing teams throughout history. And I do feel the protection QB's receive today helps with pocket time and accuracy, at least to a degree. In the early 60's when I started watching, being a QB was like dead man walking
No one is saying there wasn’t passing teams decades ago but even those teams didn’t throw the ball as much as they do now. That’s why they’re such a premium on QBs. This is why we’re seeing so many of them drafted at the top of the draft and so many are being overdrafted. There were some very average QB’s win Super Bowls years ago because everything revolved around the running game and playing defense. The newer rules are what’s helped with a QB’s pocket time and accuracy. The new rules have hurt defenses. Teams have added more receivers. Slot receivers are putting up yards like a number one receiver.

TEs are utilized much more in the passing game than they were many years ago. We see multiple TE sets. All of this has helped increase the numbers QBs are putting up. Just look at the passer ratings these days compared to decades ago. All the rules have been bent to open up the passing game and increase scoring. We’re seeing more 400 yard passing games than we’ve ever seen and we’re seeing QBs attempt 50 to 60+ passes in a game which is something we’ve never seen.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
League needs to take a stance on how much they make!! Pretty soon the Sanders kid or someone else will make 100 million a year
I am all for it as long as there is a cap on how much the owners make tied to their football teams success.

JBS

Reaction score
You continue to show you have zero clue about NFL football. To say QBs are being devalued is hilarious. :laugh: QBs have to domore these days than they ever did decades ago. It’s a passing league and everything revolves around the QB. There’s a reason QB salaries continue to skyrocket. Many of the QBs today are dual threat QBs who put up passing and rushing yards. They account for a high percentage of their teams offense. QB’s today throw the ball more than they ever did decades ago because RB’s have been devalued. You score with the passing game. Just because the rules protect QBs more these days than they did years ago doesn’t mean they’re not doing as much. :rolleyes: You need to start getting with the program.
Not often you get something right in here. Credit where it’s due.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Back to the original question.............
Eventually teams will develop an offense that has two or three "backs" who can run, throw, and catch........and as long as you can't touch the QB, eventually someone will develop a new offense that is basically unstoppable if you don't know who the QB is on that play.
It will also devalue the QB as the rules and roles change. Having RB's that are 6'3", 240lb who might be the QB this play, or are as big as many TE's...........Just a matter of time and change.
Too many running QB's that are better RB than QB but want the money. Someone will eventually use several as massive confusion, and design offenses around the strengths of the players. And they will win.
Many offenses have to determine who the MLB is that play to determine their blocking scheme..........imagine when defenses have to determine who the QB is on the play.

Until someone does this, and wins it all......the QB will be the most important piece. After all, the NFL is a copycat league and stands for "Not For Long". Things will change.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With the NFL going overboard to protect quarterbacks, today's quarterbacks don't have to do as much as quarterbacks in the past did.
Troy Aikman suffered concussions from the hits he took while making big plays for the Cowboys, as did many quarterbacks back in the early nineties and before.
Today the quarterbacks are basically playing two hand touch. Any contact with them more than that usually results in a huge penalty and sometimes a fine.
With the quarterback position being so much easier to play, shouldn't their position be devalued , giving teams more money to spread around to guys who actually do the heavy hitting?
Ya know ........ what I do not understand about this post is that you literally just said the game was fake a few days ago.

I think the NFL has become the new WWF, and most, if not all, games are rigged. Muscle bound athletes are allowed to run up and down the field making plays for the entertainment, but the winners are chosen in a board room and the referees control the outcome.
I think the Dallas/Detroit game was rigged, and Derrick Barnes whiffed on the sack of Dak Prescott for a safety, and the 92 yd touchdown pass was set up to ensure that the fans were in a good mood for Jimmy Johnson's Ring of Honor induction.
I think Dallas was the recipient of at least 4 rigged victories in 2022; the Lions, Colts, Texans, and even the Bears games were all rigged to portray Dallas as an offensive powerhouse with Dak at quarterback because Jerry needed to keep fans hoping.
And I think Taylor Swift is the reason the Kansas City Chiefs went from mediocre to Super Bowl Champions last year.
The NFL wasn't going to miss out on the popularity she brought and the money to be made off of gambling.
Travis Kelce could end up being commissioner one day if he marries Swift.

So why does it matter how much we spend if its all fake?

So either you just do not make any sense ....... or you are trolling.

Either way ................

oafh1.jpg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not often you get something right in here. Credit where it’s due.
I get a lot of things right here. You either don’t agree with my opinions or your views are skewed. You certainly don’t seem to comprehend a lot of my posts because you get a lot of what I say twisted. At least you saw this one clearly.

Reactions: JBS

JBS

Reaction score
I get a lot of things right here. You either don’t agree with my opinions or your views are skewed. You certainly don’t seem to comprehend a lot of my posts because you get a lot of what I say twisted. At least you saw this one clearly.
Thanks

leeblair

Reaction score
Ya know ........ what I do not understand about this post is that you literally just said the game was fake a few days ago.

So why does it matter how much we spend if its all fake?

So either you just do not make any sense ....... or you are trolling.

Either way ................

oafh1.jpg
Even more reason to devalue the quarterback position.
The point is that the quarterback in today's NFL doesn't have to be willing to stand in the pocket and deliver while knowing that he is going to be hit hard. Great quarterbacks who could take the hits and still commanded a successful offense had value.
Nowadays the quarterback gets treated like a glass doll and they don't have to do anything but find the open receiver.
What's that worth?

Desperado

Reaction score
Not saying I condone this in any way… but it would be an interesting counter-culture experiment if a team decided they were not going to do the $50m/yr qb thing. Draft a 1st round Qb every 4 yrs or so, trade away excess, and otherwise let them walk after rookie deal. Live in perpetual rookie qb pay scale, & build a dominate roster with the extra cap space. I doubt it would work, but it would be interesting to watch.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Even more reason to devalue the quarterback position.
The point is that the quarterback in today's NFL doesn't have to be willing to stand in the pocket and deliver while knowing that he is going to be hit hard. Great quarterbacks who could take the hits and still commanded a successful offense had value.
Nowadays the quarterback gets treated like a glass doll and they don't have to do anything but find the open receiver.
What's that worth?
Jeebus ........ in your insane idea that its all fake like WWE, then is does not matter where you put your money since they are all actors anyway.

Obviously that's asinine ........ but that is what you think.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Let’s answer this easily, how many teams can withstand a serious injury to starting QB and still have a very successful season ?

It is that simple