Should we explore Justin Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We just had Brock Purdy make the super bowl. Jimmy G made it. The combo of Wentz/Foles won it. Goff made it not long ago. I'm not sure the average QB w/ an excellent roster theory is an outdated idea at all. Especially this year when you saw what a guy like Baker Mayfield did with Tampa.

Regardless I still go back to the question of can Jerry actually put together a team good enough to make it all the way with retaining Dak, Parsons, Lamb, Bland, etc. If not I don't see the point in just doubling down on the current roster which is what we are currently projected to do. Let Dallas try a different formula and honestly let Dak try a different formula. Maybe that's with the Cowboys, but maybe that's with a different team too. At this point I could care less, but I'm a fan of shuffling the deck and getting some new cards.
Jimmy G and Purdy made it to the Super Bowl because San Francisco has a great team. They weren’t having to throw for 400 yards a game. Both QBs were supported by great defenses and had a running game. Foles won a Super Bowl with a Super Bowl MVP performance on an excellent Philly team. Dak outplayed Jared Goff, who reached the Super Bowl. We simply haven’t had the teams to advance in the playoffs. We’ll never get far regardless the QB if our defense continues to suck in the playoffs and we have no running game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Jimmy G and Purdy made it to the Super Bowl because San Francisco has a great team. They weren’t having to throw for 400 yards a game. Both QBs were supported by great defenses and had a running game. Foles won a Super Bowl with a Super Bowl MVP performance on an excellent Philly team. Dak outplayed Jared Goff, who reached the Super Bowl. We simply haven’t had the teams to advance in the playoffs. We’ll never get far regardless the QB if our defense continues to suck in the playoffs and we have no running game.
Sure...but I guess I don't understand what you're trying to argue. In your last post you said

"A lot of fans seem to think you can get by with an average QB if you put a great team around them. They point to some of the average QBs that won Super Bowls years ago. The game is different now, practically every Super Bowl comes down to a QB having to make a play. If Kansas City had a lesser QB than Mahomes, they would’ve never gotten to the Super Bowl this past season."

Then you acknowledge that average QBs have gotten to and won the super bowl in recent years with great teams around them. I just don't follow, but maybe I'm missing the obvious.

Personally I'm all for building up the rest of the roster and doing whatever needs to be done to do so, as I agree that 99% of QBs can't do it with a bad roster. If that means you flip a Lamb this offseason to gain draft capital and open up cap room to actually sign an impact free agent I'm all for it. If that's even moving a Parsons for a Herschel Walker type of haul I'd roll the dice on it. If that's suffering through a rebuilding year moving on from Dak and get his financials off the books I'm OK with that too. I just don't see the path to pay all these guys and fill out the rest of the roster to compete with the top teams in the NFC.

I think for the most part we agree on this other than you're in the keep Dak by any means necessary camp, and I could care less who the QB is as long as the rest of the roster is not up to par.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve gone 12-5 the past three seasons with 2 division titles and one playoff win, while Russell Wilson has gone 6-8, 4-11 and 7-8 and you would rather have him than Dak? The only reason you want him is because he’s willing to take a huge pay cut. We’re not going to win anything with him, he’s washed up.
We aren't winning anything now with Dak. Overpaying him big time is only going to make things worse.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Sure...but I guess I don't understand what you're trying to argue. In your last post you said

"A lot of fans seem to think you can get by with an average QB if you put a great team around them. They point to some of the average QBs that won Super Bowls years ago. The game is different now, practically every Super Bowl comes down to a QB having to make a play. If Kansas City had a lesser QB than Mahomes, they would’ve never gotten to the Super Bowl this past season."

Then you acknowledge that average QBs have gotten to and won the super bowl in recent years with great teams around them. I just don't follow, but maybe I'm missing the obvious.

Personally I'm all for building up the rest of the roster and doing whatever needs to be done to do so, as I agree that 99% of QBs can't do it with a bad roster. If that means you flip a Lamb this offseason to gain draft capital and open up cap room to actually sign an impact free agent I'm all for it. If that's even moving a Parsons for a Herschel Walker type of haul I'd roll the dice on it. If that's suffering through a rebuilding year moving on from Dak and get his financials off the books I'm OK with that too. I just don't see the path to pay all these guys and fill out the rest of the roster to compete with the top teams in the NFC.

I think for the most part we agree on this other than you're in the keep Dak by any means necessary camp, and I could care less who the QB is as long as the rest of the roster is not up to par.
he's in love with dak, like the other 5 lovers on here. they wouldn't care if we lost every guy on the team just as long as dak is still here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We aren't winning anything now with Dak. Overpaying him big time is only going to make things worse.
Not winning anything that's just 36 games two division titles in three state years in the playoffs Prescott's not been part of any losing seasons so comparing them to some loser who's making just as much money and Russell Wilson when we're talking about what have you done for me lately you're saying he's not winning anything it could be far worse so you're saying you'd rather be under 500 and not make the playoffs and be one of these bottom 20 teams that barely could get to 500 versus what we've been doing like

I realize it's coming short of our expectations one game away from an NFC championship game...

I get it we're frustrated disappointed but let's stop exaggerating on what you say not winning is anything to use not a championship game or a Super Bowl I get it..

Yet there's a lot of examples of many players in the same range of money that quarterback and others there's some non quarterbacks making $30 million a year that aren't carrying their team anywhere either but you got guys like kyler Murray and deshaun Watson and many others that are making big money and that aren't going to championship games or Super Bowls it's called the market we all know what it's called but don't exaggerate and say we ain't winning what it could be a lot worse we could be actually losers on the bottom end of the 500 mark that would be a problem for me..

We're finishing in the top six in the NFL in many years and you're saying that's not winning no that's not winning big but that is winning we have a winning organization as far as the regular season goes and I for one do not want to be part of a team that struggles to get the 500 or even worse just barely makes 5 games so if you wanna go 5:00 and 12:00 so be it but I rather be A12 win team and in the playoffs I get it we want to go further but there's a whole lot that could be worse the grass is not greener jettison your quarterback and trying to start over...

I mean I don't wanna pay the guy $60 million either but at the same time I'm also not gonna sit here and say that I'd rather have a quarterback that gets us four or five more wins then the ones that can't I mean it's a fine line between A12 win team and then sinking down below 500..​
Now you're taking our front office and our organization and you think without a quarterback and we're starting over from Ground Zero searching for the next quarterback that we're gonna get lucky enough to stumble upon a Romo or a Prescott because right now we don't even have a defense special teams or run game or any line in the trenches that says you can roll with some young guy or some mid level quarterback and still make the playoffs we're probably gonna be a 5 to 8 win team for the next five years or more this thing could sink into really bad areas without Prescott here.​
Because I thought most people around here agreed that they don't think Jerry Jones and this organization would know how to start over and rebuild and at least right now we have a team that has won a lot of games and that's been in the playoffs three straight years with two division titles that's not losing so you're not winning anything statement makes it sound like they're not doing anything like we're one of the worst teams in the NFL and we're not even close we're actually one of the top teams in the NFL who are failing to get to the promised land but that could happen at anytime we don't know but without Prescott I can tell you it's not happening not for at least three to five years...​
Then what I mean it takes say four to five years to find and groom a new quarterback who then can what get you to the playoffs but what if he can't get past the championship game either so now you're back at square one because you're worried about money that's not coming out of your pocket?​
.​

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
he's in love with dak, like the other 5 lovers on here. they wouldn't care if we lost every guy on the team just as long as dak is still here.
And that’s fine, if people literally prioritize Dak racking up HOF numbers then more power to them. I just don’t understand talking in circles to avoid acknowledging that.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Insane is extending QB yr 9 no playoff success
Well, this is a Fields thread right?

How about paying starting QB money (second contract) to a dude who hasn’t done anything at all other than run the ball as a QB?

Is that what you’re suggesting?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The book has yet to be written on him. Not over paying him could make things a lot worse if we move on and can’t find a QB as good or better. Things aren’t nearly as bad as some of you make them out to be.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I am not a huge Dak fan (off the field yes but not on the field as much since he requires too much help), but I don't think Fields is the answer either lol. Honestly I rather take a shot with Lance than Fields at this point.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not winning anything that's just 36 games two division titles in three state years in the playoffs Prescott's not been part of any losing seasons so comparing them to some loser who's making just as much money and Russell Wilson when we're talking about what have you done for me lately you're saying he's not winning anything it could be far worse so you're saying you'd rather be under 500 and not make the playoffs and be one of these bottom 20 teams that barely could get to 500 versus what we've been doing like

I realize it's coming short of our expectations one game away from an NFC championship game...

I get it we're frustrated disappointed but let's stop exaggerating on what you say not winning is anything to use not a championship game or a Super Bowl I get it..

Yet there's a lot of examples of many players in the same range of money that quarterback and others there's some non quarterbacks making $30 million a year that aren't carrying their team anywhere either but you got guys like kyler Murray and deshaun Watson and many others that are making big money and that aren't going to championship games or Super Bowls it's called the market we all know what it's called but don't exaggerate and say we ain't winning what it could be a lot worse we could be actually losers on the bottom end of the 500 mark that would be a problem for me..

We're finishing in the top six in the NFL in many years and you're saying that's not winning no that's not winning big but that is winning we have a winning organization as far as the regular season goes and I for one do not want to be part of a team that struggles to get the 500 or even worse just barely makes 5 games so if you wanna go 5:00 and 12:00 so be it but I rather be A12 win team and in the playoffs I get it we want to go further but there's a whole lot that could be worse the grass is not greener jettison your quarterback and trying to start over...

I mean I don't wanna pay the guy $60 million either but at the same time I'm also not gonna sit here and say that I'd rather have a quarterback that gets us four or five more wins then the ones that can't I mean it's a fine line between A12 win team and then sinking down below 500..​
Now you're taking our front office and our organization and you think without a quarterback and we're starting over from Ground Zero searching for the next quarterback that we're gonna get lucky enough to stumble upon a Romo or a Prescott because right now we don't even have a defense special teams or run game or any line in the trenches that says you can roll with some young guy or some mid level quarterback and still make the playoffs we're probably gonna be a 5 to 8 win team for the next five years or more this thing could sink into really bad areas without Prescott here.​
Because I thought most people around here agreed that they don't think Jerry Jones and this organization would know how to start over and rebuild and at least right now we have a team that has won a lot of games and that's been in the playoffs three straight years with two division titles that's not losing so you're not winning anything statement makes it sound like they're not doing anything like we're one of the worst teams in the NFL and we're not even close we're actually one of the top teams in the NFL who are failing to get to the promised land but that could happen at anytime we don't know but without Prescott I can tell you it's not happening not for at least three to five years...​
Then what I mean it takes say four to five years to find and groom a new quarterback who then can what get you to the playoffs but what if he can't get past the championship game either so now you're back at square one because you're worried about money that's not coming out of your pocket?​
.​
You're mostly right, but I disagree with the idea that it could be so much worse. Honestly I would rather see this franchise try a new formula and fail hard winning 6 games next year rather than win 10 games and make another first round playoff exit but hear that we're close. Not even saying that has to be a formula without Dak, I would just like to see some creativity somewhere in trying to improve this roster. I fully welcome failure if someone is actually trying, but the Cowboys continue to do the same thing, promoting the big names to us while ignoring the massive red flags on this roster. It's like buying a brand new corvette but never doing the regular maintenance so the engine blows up as you hit 10k miles. Then you get it fixed under warranty only to neglect the maintenance again and are shocked when you have more issues after a few months.

That's the absolute worst in my mind...It's buying into this team again, literally planning my weekend around watching my cowboys, not missing a snap, waiting for the All22 to come out the next day to nerd out over watching the film, ignoring my family on Thanksgiving because nothing matters when the Cowboys are on, talk this team up all year through the ups and down, and then get embarrassed round 1 to hear the excuse that the guys were tired. I would much rather watch a young raw team go from 6 wins to 8 wins to fighting to get back into the playoffs. Jerry tricking me into giving this team my time, money, heart & soul again to see the same predictable ending is the worst.

RonWashington

Reaction score

How about paying starting QB money (second contract) to a dude who hasn’t done anything at all other than run the ball as a QB?

I’ll take a younger mobile QB over a QB in yr 9 who has had no playoff success . Did you miss the Bears game in Dallas 2 seasons ago Fields and that offense burned Dallas . Chicago defense so horrible they lost .

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’ll take a younger mobile QB over a QB in yr 9 who has had no playoff success . Did you miss the Bears game in Dallas 2 seasons ago Fields and that offense burned Dallas . Chicago defense so horrible they lost .
Well, alright then. If you believe Fields to be superior to Dak, or half of the rest of the NFL starters, then there’s not much else to discuss.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You're mostly right, but I disagree with the idea that it could be so much worse. Honestly I would rather see this franchise try a new formula and fail hard winning 6 games next year rather than win 10 games and make another first round playoff exit but hear that we're close. Not even saying that has to be a formula without Dak, I would just like to see some creativity somewhere in trying to improve this roster. I fully welcome failure if someone is actually trying, but the Cowboys continue to do the same thing, promoting the big names to us while ignoring the massive red flags on this roster. It's like buying a brand new corvette but never doing the regular maintenance so the engine blows up as you hit 10k miles. Then you get it fixed under warranty only to neglect the maintenance again and are shocked when you have more issues after a few months.

That's the absolute worst in my mind...It's buying into this team again, literally planning my weekend around watching my cowboys, not missing a snap, waiting for the All22 to come out the next day to nerd out over watching the film, ignoring my family on Thanksgiving because nothing matters when the Cowboys are on, talk this team up all year through the ups and down, and then get embarrassed round 1 to hear the excuse that the guys were tired. I would much rather watch a young raw team go from 6 wins to 8 wins to fighting to get back into the playoffs. Jerry tricking me into giving this team my time, money, heart & soul again to see the same predictable ending is the worsIs
AS much as you think that would trigger the Jones is to do more, what if it happens 3-4 years in a row?​
Than they end up in a tailspin trying to find the next quarterback because that's what a lot of teams struggle to do,​
it's find the quarterback like Prescott regardless of his big payday it is not easy to replace guys like him,​
you might rather do it for one year to try to exact some change but what if it one year turns into 5??​
I'm sorry I don't want that I'm a fan of the Cowboys and I want my team at least being contenders and I know you're going to say that they're not contenders but if you make the playoffs and you're a second seed you're a contender now they choked that away they messed up their benefit but they were a contender, they were a playoff team with a home game in the first round bye,​
But hey your plan is you want to slide into six games total and try to reboot but what if the reboot takes a long time??​
I watched Cleveland ten years in a row have two first round picks and a couple years at three first round picks and what did they end up doing trading away picks and overpaying deshaun Watson we saw The Jets how many years have they been looking for a starting quarterback and then what do they do ohh they went out and traded picks and paid Aaron Rodgers big time money when's the last time Denver actually drafted a young quarterback and they worked out ohh wait they couldn't so they had to pay manning and they had to use draft picks both times to bring in Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning.​
So, in the end these teams tried to do that and failed and they end up getting what a Prescott type quarterback but also had to give up draft picks and then the giant contract we could just simply pay him and then we're not out looking for another one of him.​

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I’m not a fields hater but the money is the issue. I’d be all for this if he had a couple more years of control before cashing in. It makes no sense to move on from Dak only to pay another qb top tier money. If you move on the only option is to go cheap.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Well, alright then. If you believe Fields to be superior to Dak, or half of the rest of the NFL starters, then there’s not much else to discuss.

Fields is with a lousy team . For his sake I hope he goes elsewhere . With Dak I think he’s topped out . I don’t expect much anymore

Kwyn

Reaction score
Fields is with a lousy team . For his sake I hope he goes elsewhere . With Dak I think he’s topped out . I don’t expect much anymore
The problem is that regardless of the team that surrounds him the basic skills they QBs require to achieve success are not evidenced with Fields.

He’s got legs.

Decision making, reads, making throws, well, he just hasn’t shown that.

If he had, they would keep him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All Fields can do well is run and it’s led to 30 fumbles in 3 seasons. Field hasn’t had any playoff success because he’s never been to the playoffs. Dak has had some playoff success with two playoff wins. Two years ago against the Bears the Cowboys stomped them 49-29 despite our defense being road graded for 240 rushing yards. Fields only threw for 151 yards, it was the Bears running game that kept them in the game for 3 quarters. If it wasn’t for Dak and our offense we would’ve gotten destroyed in that game. The Cowboys wouldn’t win crap with Fields. The Bears have suffered three straight losing seasons with him and appear to be ready to move on. Can’t believe some of you would rather have him over Dak. :rolleyes: You sound like just another fan who would rather miss the playoffs every year with another QB than have a chance in the playoffs with Dak.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
AS much as you think that would trigger the Jones is to do more, what if it happens 3-4 years in a row?​
Than they end up in a tailspin trying to find the next quarterback because that's what a lot of teams struggle to do,​
it's find the quarterback like Prescott regardless of his big payday it is not easy to replace guys like him,​
you might rather do it for one year to try to exact some change but what if it one year turns into 5??​
I'm sorry I don't want that I'm a fan of the Cowboys and I want my team at least being contenders and I know you're going to say that they're not contenders but if you make the playoffs and you're a second seed you're a contender now they choked that away they messed up their benefit but they were a contender, they were a playoff team with a home game in the first round bye,​
But hey your plan is you want to slide into six games total and try to reboot but what if the reboot takes a long time??​
I watched Cleveland ten years in a row have two first round picks and a couple years at three first round picks and what did they end up doing trading away picks and overpaying deshaun Watson we saw The Jets how many years have they been looking for a starting quarterback and then what do they do ohh they went out and traded picks and paid Aaron Rodgers big time money when's the last time Denver actually drafted a young quarterback and they worked out ohh wait they couldn't so they had to pay manning and they had to use draft picks both times to bring in Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning.​
So, in the end these teams tried to do that and failed and they end up getting what a Prescott type quarterback but also had to give up draft picks and then the giant contract we could just simply pay him and then we're not out looking for another one of him.​
If they swing and miss they swing and miss. You’re only focused on what could go wrong though. Seattle moved on from Wilson and immediately made the playoffs. Green Bay moved on from Rodgers and got better and made the playoffs. Kansas City moved tyreek hill and won two super bowls. Just because you move talent doesn’t mean you get worse.

IMO the cowboys paying Dak, parsons, lamb, bland, etc over the next two years and bringing the band back but not aggressively addressing other needs just causes this team to slowly bleed. I struggle to see this team getting back to 12 wins with running it back and Tyron, Martin, Dlaw, etc another year older, I really do.

Now if Jerry really takes the all in approach? Sign me up and I’m back in to singing his praises and I can appreciate that approach.

If you’re not all in though why should the fans buy into a franchise with a lame duck head coach and the same roster that just laid and egg as the 2 seed? With everything in life either you get better or you get worse. If the cowboys are not dedicated to getting better they are just pushing off the inevitable IMO

This team is below average at running the football and stopping the run. Literally half the game of football this team is below average at, but I’m supposed to be OK and excited for another routine cowboy offseason? I can’t pretend to be optimistic about that. Thats not daks fault either, but I’m not saying the only answer is dumping Dak. It could be moving a guy like lamb who could easily fetch you a first round pick and free up significant cap space. I’m just saying jerry needs to try to be aggressive in some capacity. The cowboys front office is literally the equivalent of a baseball player with the bases loaded and a batter not swinging in hopes the pitcher walks him.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The problem is that regardless of the team that surrounds him the basic skills they QBs require to achieve success are not evidenced with Fields.

He’s got legs.

Decision making, reads, making throws, well, he just hasn’t shown that.

If he had, they would keep him.

Bears beat the Mighty Lions . He threw for 225 ran for about 60 . Anyone who thinks trading for him is a bad bet hasn’t watched him .

CowboyChris

Reaction score
The book has yet to be written on him. Not over paying him could make things a lot worse if we move on and can’t find a QB as good or better. Things aren’t nearly as bad as some of you make them out to be.
lol... the book has yet to be written on Dak? going on to year 9, we know who Dak is, a playoff choker!

Status
Not open for further replies.