Should we explore Justin Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
this isn’t a qb vs qb debate, the sooner you realize that the better you will understand, if we have to move on from Dak, i’m going to say it one more time
You have to compare QBs if you’re going to move on from Dak, if the goal is to continue to win. Some of you don’t seem to care if the next QB is a downgrade and it leads to a rough season as long as they’re not being overpaid. A lot of you figure if things go real bad with the next QB it will lead to a high pick and we can draft one. The Cowboys could end up drafting QBs every few years trying to find a good one. No team moves on from their QB because they have to, it’s because they want to. If a team feels they have a real good QB who gives them a chance at winning a championship, they’re going to hang onto them. They may move on from another player because they have to, but not their QB.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
this isn’t a qb vs qb debate, the sooner you realize that the better you will understand, if we have to move on from Dak, i’m going to say it one more time…IF WE HAVE TO MOVE ON FROM DAK..you still have to pay him, then your options are limited due to his enormous salary, if you keep him then the rest of the roster will be limited due to the amount of money it would take to extend him, i’m done trying to explain this to you.

when i say move on from Dak that means a deal couldn’t be reached!!!
but he's in love with him. you can't move on from love.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
assuming we are not going to extend Dak, should we at least explore the possibility of trading for Fields, from what i’m hearing 2nd rounder possibly a late 1st. we could get more draft capital than that for Dak,
The answer's, no. Giving up a 1st Rd pick isnt worth one year of control, a better use of resources would be to use that pick to sure up the O-Line and play out Lance. The first emphasis is to build the trenches, which allows the Dak's or Romo's to begin their rookie careers with decent protection.

Cut Dak and the Cowboys owe him nothing. He’s already received all the guaranteed money in his current contract. There would still be $59 million plus against the salary cap for money already designated in the value of his contract. At best the Cowboys can split that over two years in the event they cut him. A deal will be reached. It will be a big one. Dak and his agent would like to be cut a.s.a.p. Jerry has to convince Dak to continue to be Dallas’ QB1.
But Dak isnt going to be cut asap. If no deal's made by 14th March we'll just restructure his salary (or combination of Martin/DLaw/Steele/Diggs) to comply with start of season CAP deadline, we'll then wait it out. We'll have the option to restructure other contracts, if we want to sign other FA's, and leave Dak hanging on the option of:
a) playing out his contract year on $34m, but very little upgrade on the roster
b) worrying that the Cowboys MAY cut him as a last minute Post June ..... so late that good teams arent going to punt on a one year deal for a QB (EVEN A GOOD ONE) that'll need to learn the offense in such a short timescale.

This would give some form of negotiating chip.......maybe..... 'look Dak, we cant afford Tyron, we're going to give Edoga another look at LT.....but you've got excellent health insurance'

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
until you guys realize this isn't the old NFL. These new fans pick a player and that is their team. They don't care if their team wins, they're all about a player. If the team loses it's on the team not their love interest.

the world has been turned upside down and so has pulling for a team.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You didn’t see it and I’m done wasting my time with you in this thread. :thumbup:
You think way too highly of yourself. You think you know what I saw and what I didn't. Dude...issues!
And you KEEP saying you are "done" or that I should "move on"....yet you never do. Issues!

starfan1

Reaction score
They aren't now with Dak. Only worse, they are getting ready to drop that big extension on him. That is doubling down on stupidity.
They arent winning anything with skelator ! dak is just a symtom of a bigger problem. Since salary cap era began The Jones clan hasnt won anything in the post season. They have managed the regular season quite well though

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
assuming we are not going to extend Dak, should we at least explore the possibility of trading for Fields, from what i’m hearing 2nd rounder possibly a late 1st. we could get more draft capital than that for Dak,
Never assume………

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's not to the goal. You know exactly where Dak can get you. We want to win another super bowl.
The goal is to win a championship and to have a chance you have to make the playoffs and Dak has consistently led the team to the playoffs. We’ve made the playoffs three consecutive years and that hasn’t happened since Troy Aikman was leading the Cowboys to championships in the 90s. In the last 6 years only three QBs have won SBs, Mahomes, Brady and Stafford. Everyone said Matt Stafford couldn’t get in done. He had losing QB record in Detroit and only led them to the playoffs 3 times in 12 years and was 0-3. He’s obviously a very good QB, who can put up big numbers but the fans in Detroit didn’t think he had it in him to win a championship. He was called a stat guy, but not a winner.

He went to a much better team that he didn’t have to carry and immediately won a Super Bowl. He probably could’ve won a Super Bowl with the team the Lions had this past season. He’s a better QB than Jared Goff. The point is the Cowboys have a team problem more than a QB problem. When the team plays well, so has Dak. The one thing he proved against Green Bay is that he’s a fighter and won’t give up. That’s more than I can say for the rest of the team around him that day. He and Jake Ferguson were the only ones that kept fighting to the bitter end. Put Dak on a loaded team that’s committed to being the best where he doesn’t have to shoulder the entire load and I believe he can win a Super Bowl.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They aren't now with Dak. Only worse, they are getting ready to drop that big extension on him. That is doubling down on stupidity.
We’ve gone 12-5 the past three seasons with 2 division titles and one playoff win, while Russell Wilson has gone 6-8, 4-11 and 7-8 and you would rather have him than Dak? The only reason you want him is because he’s willing to take a huge pay cut. We’re not going to win anything with him, he’s washed up.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The goal is to win a championship and to have a chance you have to make the playoffs and Dak has consistently led the team to the playoffs. We’ve made the playoffs three consecutive years and that hasn’t happened since Troy Aikman was leading the Cowboys to championships in the 90s. In the last 6 years only three QBs have won SBs, Mahomes, Brady and Stafford. Everyone said Matt Stafford couldn’t get in done. He had losing QB record in Detroit and only led them to the playoffs 3 times in 12 years and was 0-3. He’s obviously a very good QB, who can put up big numbers but the fans in Detroit didn’t think he had it in him to win a championship. He was called a stat guy, but not a winner.

He went to a much better team that he didn’t have to carry and immediately won a Super Bowl. He probably could’ve won a Super Bowl with the team the Lions had this past season. He’s a better QB than Jared Goff. The point is the Cowboys have a team problem more than a QB problem. When the team plays well, so has Dak. The one thing he proved against Green Bay is that he’s a fighter and won’t give up. That’s more than I can say for the rest of the team around him that day. He and Jake Ferguson were the only ones that kept fighting to the bitter end. Put Dak on a loaded team that’s committed to being the best where he doesn’t have to shoulder the entire load and I believe he can win a Super Bowl.
You're not wrong but I struggle to see how Jerry gives Dak a team that he doesn't have to carry like Stafford got. If Jerry was serious about having an "All in" year then I can justify a Dak extension because I think he is plenty good enough to win a championship with a quality team. Unfortunately the Cowboys wont do that nor will they sell off an asset with trade value to recoup draft capital and open up cap space. I'm a massive fan of Ceedee Lamb, but I would also trade him in a heartbeat for a couple of premium draft picks. Instead we are going to continue to pay our own guys premium money and do next to nothing to improve the rest of the roster except to hope on hitting in the draft.

It's not simply a Dak problem, it's how the front office has chosen to run the organization and accepted consistent regular season success over anything else. It seems pretty clear that this team has peaked under the current model, and unless Jerry actually tries something new is there really hope? Fans are tired of winning 10+ games, getting excited as this year is "different", and then the heartbreak happens. I'll be rooting for this team regardless, but I'd rather suffer through a rebuild and even miss the playoffs next year with a young fresh new roster than winning 10-12 games but getting bounced in round 1 once again. Maybe I'm a horrible fan in saying that but I think Dak is really good but not elite QB, and Jerry isn't willing to take the risks to put together a complete team to support the guy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're not wrong but I struggle to see how Jerry gives Dak a team that he doesn't have to carry like Stafford got. If Jerry was serious about having an "All in" year then I can justify a Dak extension because I think he is plenty good enough to win a championship with a quality team. Unfortunately the Cowboys wont do that nor will they sell off an asset with trade value to recoup draft capital and open up cap space. I'm a massive fan of Ceedee Lamb, but I would also trade him in a heartbeat for a couple of premium draft picks. Instead we are going to continue to pay our own guys premium money and do next to nothing to improve the rest of the roster except to hope on hitting in the draft.

It's not simply a Dak problem, it's how the front office has chosen to run the organization and accepted consistent regular season success over anything else. It seems pretty clear that this team has peaked under the current model, and unless Jerry actually tries something new is there really hope? Fans are tired of winning 10+ games, getting excited as this year is "different", and then the heartbreak happens. I'll be rooting for this team regardless, but I'd rather suffer through a rebuild and even miss the playoffs next year with a young fresh new roster than winning 10-12 games but getting bounced in round 1 once again. Maybe I'm a horrible fan in saying that but I think Dak is really good but not elite QB, and Jerry isn't willing to take the risks to put together a complete team to support the guy.
With the contracts Dak, CeeDee and Parsons will command it would be difficult if not impossible to go all in like the Bucs and Rams did. Both teams ended up falling way off after they went all in. You don’t need an elite or special QB to win a Super Bowl but you need one that can win a lot of games and get you to the playoffs consistently. Fans keep saying that Dak doesn’t play well in the playoffs, but he has played well in the playoffs before. He played great against Tom Brady, and he played very good against Aaron Rodgers his rookie year but our defense choked. He played well against Russell Wilson, and he had outplayed Jared Goff, but our defense collapsed. Any QB is going to struggle in the playoffs if they have to shoulder too much of the load and their defense isn’t playing well.

John Elway struggled in Super Bowls until he got a complete team around him and had a running game. Marino never won a championship because he had to shoulder too much of the load. Now someone will say I’m comparing Dak to Elway and Marino. :rolleyes: I’m certainly not saying Dak is in the same league with those QBs, but the point is even all-time great QBs have struggled in postseason when they didn’t have a good enough team around them. When it all gets put on your QB in the playoffs against a team that’s playing better they’re going to struggle. This is why Aaron Rodgers only made it to one Super Bowl, and Lamar Jackson is struggling in postseason. Rodgers has lost 10 playoff games and has been criticized for his playoff performances.

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
With the contracts Dak, CeeDee and Parsons will command it would be difficult if not impossible to go all in like the Bucs and Rams did. Both teams ended up falling way off after they went all in. You don’t need an elite or special QB to win a Super Bowl but you need one that can win a lot of games and get you to the playoffs consistently. Fans keep saying that Dak doesn’t play well in the playoffs, but he has played well in the playoffs before. He played great against Tom Brady, and he played very good against Aaron Rodgers his rookie year but our defense choked. He played well against Russell Wilson, and he had outplayed Jared Goff, but our defense collapsed. Any QB is going to struggle in the playoffs if they have to shoulder too much of the load and their defense isn’t playing well.

John Elway struggled in Super Bowls until he got a complete team around him and had a running game. Marino never won a championship because he had to shoulder too much of the load. Now someone will say I’m comparing Dak to Elway and Marino. :rolleyes: I’m certainly not saying Dak is in the same league with those QBs, but the point is even all-time great QBs have struggled in postseason when they didn’t have a good enough team around them. When it all gets put on your QB in the playoffs, you’re going to end up in trouble. This is why Aaron Rodgers only made it to one Super Bowl, and Lamar Jackson is struggling in postseason.
And that is my biggest issue. It's going to be extremely difficult to build a complete team and compete for a title that isnt just based around 'get into the playoffs and hope for the best'. I would love to see this team do something to strategically take a chance to get over the hump. If they take a chance and miss I can live with that. Running it back year after year and finding ways to keep optimistic has become exhausting though. Maybe they move on from Dak...maybe it's Lamb...maybe its even Parsons. KC traded maybe the best WR in the league but has won two super bowls in doing so. Is their offense as explosive as it once was? absolutely not, but that team is more well rounded and its paid off. Jerry seems to never want to move off of one of his star players and its hurting this team.

I'm not arguing against Dak at all, I'm arguing against Jerry/Stephen. What they've assembled simply isn't good enough and if they can't complete the job what's the point in keeping Dak? Jerry/Stephen arent going anywhere anytime soon so id rather see them retool and take another stab at it instead of keeping the status quo and spending the foreseeable future in football purgatory.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And that is my biggest issue. It's going to be extremely difficult to build a complete team and compete for a title that isnt just based around 'get into the playoffs and hope for the best'. I would love to see this team do something to strategically take a chance to get over the hump. If they take a chance and miss I can live with that. Running it back year after year and finding ways to keep optimistic has become exhausting though. Maybe they move on from Dak...maybe it's Lamb...maybe its even Parsons. KC traded maybe the best WR in the league but has won two super bowls in doing so. Is their offense as explosive as it once was? absolutely not, but that team is more well rounded and its paid off. Jerry seems to never want to move off of one of his star players and its hurting this team.

I'm not arguing against Dak at all, I'm arguing against Jerry/Stephen. What they've assembled simply isn't good enough and if they can't complete the job what's the point in keeping Dak? Jerry/Stephen arent going anywhere anytime soon so id rather see them retool and take another stab at it instead of keeping the status quo and spending the foreseeable future in football purgatory.
You have to have a solid QB to compete for a title. A lot of fans seem to think you can get by with an average QB if you put a great team around them. They point to some of the average QBs that won Super Bowls years ago. The game is different now, practically every Super Bowl comes down to a QB having to make a play. If Kansas City had a lesser QB than Mahomes, they would’ve never gotten to the Super Bowl this past season. They certainly wouldn’t have won it. The entire game came down to Mahomes. All three of KC’s SB wins came down to Mahomes making plays with the games on the line. When the game got put in entirely on Mahomes against Tampa three years ago KC got destroyed. No matter how great a QB is they need help.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You have to have a solid QB to compete for a title. A lot of fans seem to think you can get by with an average QB if you put a great team around them. They point to some of the average QBs that won Super Bowls years ago. The game is different now, practically every Super Bowl comes down to a QB having to make a play. If Kansas City had a lesser QB than Mahomes, they would’ve never gotten to the Super Bowl this past season. They certainly wouldn’t have won it. The entire game came down to Mahomes. All three of KC’s SB wins came down to Mahomes making plays with the games on the line. When the game got put in entirely on Mahomes against Tampa three years ago KC got destroyed. No matter how great a QB is they need help.
We just had Brock Purdy make the super bowl. Jimmy G made it. The combo of Wentz/Foles won it. Goff made it not long ago. I'm not sure the average QB w/ an excellent roster theory is an outdated idea at all. Especially this year when you saw what a guy like Baker Mayfield did with Tampa.

Regardless I still go back to the question of can Jerry actually put together a team good enough to make it all the way with retaining Dak, Parsons, Lamb, Bland, etc. If not I don't see the point in just doubling down on the current roster which is what we are currently projected to do. Let Dallas try a different formula and honestly let Dak try a different formula. Maybe that's with the Cowboys, but maybe that's with a different team too. At this point I could care less, but I'm a fan of shuffling the deck and getting some new cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.