Skip & Screamin A Nail It On The Cowboys and Garrett

dfense

Reaction score
Stephen A is flat out wrong about that.

I would bring up Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith to him, both who have had multiple "passes" with little success yet somehow have kept head coaching jobs. I

I'll buy friendship - I'm not buying race.

Bingo.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skip Bayless' 15 minutes of fame flamed out 25 years ago but at least I do acknowledge Stephen A. Smith is a very good beef jerky pitchman.

sideon

Reaction score
Stephen A is flat out wrong about that.

I would bring up Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith to him, both who have had multiple "passes" with little success yet somehow have kept head coaching jobs. I

I'll buy friendship - I'm not buying race.
Although agree Garrett hasn't met the expectations I had for him, except 2014, I do hope in fairness that SAS doesn't forget Marvin Lewis in Cincinnatti, who has been given numerous opportunities despite not winning playoff games.

SAS has said numerous times that Lewis should've been fired. See at :53

NickyDawg

Reaction score
A shame that race was brought into that segment.....the real reasons Garrett will survive this season is NO ROMO and a new fat contract JJ does not want to eat.

Linehan is another question....

How many times is GM Jerry going to get burned on contracts, whether it be players or coaches, by these 1 year wonders!!!

adamknite

Reaction score
As a black man, I agree that SAS brings race up too much, even when it isn't warranted. He's the epitome of the boy who cries wolf. There may come a point where race plays a major part in the sports world and no one is going to take SAS seriously about it because he has worn it out.

I would understand if he had a point to make... if he wanted to say he thinks Jones is being racist by not hiring a better qualified minority coach and sticking with Garrett instead... I would argue against that point, but at least I would entertain the idea as I was trying to disprove it. What he did was just bring it up, talk about how young African american coaches are frustrated with their lack of opportunities, but then immediately says what he was just talking about doesn't apply to the subject on hand.... it's asinine.

canters

Reaction score
after watching the segment, Steven dislocated his shoulder trying to bring race into this....weak nexus at best.

jwitten82

Reaction score

Skip was 100% correct, and Stephen was too, but not sure why he brought up race, when he said himself that he could name 20 other coaches that wouldve been fired regardless of ethnicity.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Sounds like Steven simply said black coaches don't have the benefit of the same relationship as some white coaches with owners.
Not sure what it has to do with any thing but it was the point he was conveying.

daveferr33

Reaction score

Thanks for posting.

A lot of us have been saying this for a long, long time. That Garrett is here not because of merit, but because of his special relationship with the Jones Family.

That is not a controversial position to take. There really is no valid argument to the contrary.

He should never have been hired before Wade. He should never have been given the HC position after Wade. And he should have never survived the 2012 season. When its all said and done, I believe we will have wasted a decade on this guy, with nothing to show for it but squandered elite talent at the qb position.

When he introduced Wade, Jerry said, with mist in his eyes, "we had to get this right." Well, he got it wrong, very wrong and has continued to double down on that wrong for years.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Here my take on Garrett for anyone that cares...

He is a neutered head coach. Partially for good reason because when he had offensive play calling assigned to him he lacked creativity and the situational strategy to be successful doing both. So he was neutered to be basically an overseer. A cheerleader if you will.... Very much like Mike Tomlin IMO.

It's like this to me, Mike Tomlin is clearly no Bill Belichick but Garrett is also clearly no Tomlin. I have roasted Garrett years ago, hopped on the wagon dating back a few years, and now become impatient with what I perceive as a lack of progress in his role. I blame 50% of the issue on Jerry. If Jerry is going to truly allow Jason to succeed he has to stop protecting his investment... His golden child. Take the reigns off and allow his investment to shine. The neutered Garrett no longer appeals to me.

Get some coordinators in here that shine and allow Garrett more room to clap (or hit the coaching reset button).

Just my humbled position on things.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Skip Bayless' 15 minutes of fame flamed out 25 years ago but at least I do acknowledge Stephen A. Smith is a very good beef jerky pitchman.

I like Stephen A., but agree he views too many things through a racial lens. He is hardly unique in that sense. I despise Bayless and I've never seen that show.

I think a lot of people are missing the Forest for the Trees on this. That show is desperate for ratings and on slow news days, they have to fill up the air time somehow. Its not like they are going to do 30 minutes on the Rule 5 draft in baseball, they pick a popular target and fill air time accordingly.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Rightfully so......

He is destroying the Cowboys.

and like you said, Rightfully so..... Its time for Jason Garrett and his entire coaching staff to feel the pressure....pressure to right this ship...not just chug along at a ho hum pace.... Even Jerry Jones told the media he is not happy with the coaching..... sooner, or latter Garrett has to prove he is a Head Coach not just a good front office personnel man....but real coach that can make a difference with or without Romo.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I like Stephen A., but agree he views too many things through a racial lens. He is hardly unique in that sense. I despise Bayless and I've never seen that show.

I think a lot of people are missing the Forest for the Trees on this. That show is desperate for ratings and on slow news days, they have to fill up the air time somehow. Its not like they are going to do 30 minutes on the Rule 5 draft in baseball, they pick a popular target and fill air time accordingly.

I watch the show regularly and, while some of it is for pomp & circumstance, both of these guys have been found to regularly offer up good takes. The pomp & circumstance part keeps many of you away. I tend to laugh at it and appreciate the takes.

DTown214

Reaction score
Stephen A can find a way to bring race into literally any discussion. He does it all the time. I'm sure it has to irritate Skip but he can't really say anything because he'll come off as a racist.