Video: Slater: Sticking point with Dak still length of contract

Oneiros

Reaction score
I'm really getting tired of this nonsense.

Don't want to go through this pointless drama again.

Heck, at this point I halfway hope Herbert falls to 17 and just draft him to move on. And I'm not even a Herbert fan.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Isn't the guaranteed part the most important? The length isn't what's guaranteed. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

John813

Reaction score
Isn't the guaranteed part the most important? The length isn't what's guaranteed. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

My thought is that the QB spot will still under go rapid price jumps with other players hitting ufa status and the cba. So of he he were to sign a 6 year deal odds are the cowboys wouldn't be in a rush to renegotiate down the road due to the cap savings of having him on the older cheaper contract. Even as the guaranteed money expires on the deal it'll still be a steal. Add in the new anti holdout rules in the cba Dak has this one shot at getting the deal he wants. For probably any other position that has a shorter lifespan in the NFL guaranteed is probably#1. But for QB that can play into their 30's, they want to keep on maxing out their worth, so shorter contracts is the way to go.

NumOneQB

Reaction score

To a point.
Dak is again betting that his durability keeps him upright after almost 10yrs and that his increased experience makes him a “better” QB. He plans to break the bank 2 times in his career. It’s a helluva gamble in this league to leave money and years on the table like that...

phildadon86

Reaction score
He wasn't..

But, he was the one that came out flat for the first quarter of that game going 3 and out multiple times and falling behind by 20 points.

Also, The only reason we were able to "come back" in that game was because Dak was facing GBs practice squad secondary. GB was hit hard by injuries that year..

Atlanta put GB out of their misery the next game..

The fact that a team that had a terrible defense (because of injuries) was able to beat a completely healthy team that had a bye week should be embarrassing enough, I Don't see why you would use that game to prop Dak up.
Even in that game, Dak had the ball in his hands late in the 4th with a chance to win but he goofed and had to kick a FG..

If Dak doesn't goof in our last possession of that game, The play you mentioned wouldn't even matter.
Lol Romo in your avatar and you’re talking about beating up on a practice squad Green Bay team? Shall we discuss losing to one legged Rodgers in 2014? Or the countless mistakes Romo made in the 4th quarter? Also Dak didn’t goof up. He followed direction on the spike. That’s all on JG my friend. Just like coming out flat in an important game (jason Garrett’s staple) was.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
To a point.
Dak is again betting that his durability keeps him upright after almost 10yrs and that his increased experience makes him a “better” QB. He plans to break the bank 2 times in his career. It’s a helluva gamble in this league to leave money and years on the table like that...
Yea, pretty much.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To a point.
Is it really much of a gamble when his first deal will be for over $100M?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I really like this. They'd probably choke on their coffee, but this is a good idea!
If he gets tagged twice then he gets a guaranteed 70+ million. That’s why his agent is doing this. If he gets a season or career ending injury then his agent and Dak is screwed. If his agent is having him hold out for the tag he will be screwed in his career also if Dak gets injured.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Is it really much of a gamble when his first deal will be for over $100M?
If he don’t get injured trying. He was injured last season and it effected the biggest game of the year. Not really his fault but if he wins that game and we make the playoffs and wins the division his worth would be a lot more likey.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

The length matters a lot. With $105 million guaranteed, basically only three years are guaranteed. With a six year deal, you are gonna be playing three years with no security. That's why I was saying earlier the $105 million guaranteed was only a good deal if it was a 4-year contract. That is where the people aren't looking at context when it comes to Dak being the highest paid. A 4-year extension with similar guarantees to Wentz and Goff should reasonably get it done. But a 6 year deal makes no sense for Dak to sign unless he becomes the highest paid by a pretty wide margin.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The length matters a lot. With $105 million guaranteed, basically only three years are guaranteed. With a six year deal, you are gonna be playing three years with no security. That's why I was saying earlier the $105 million guaranteed was only a good deal if it was a 4-year contract. That is where the people aren't looking at context when it comes to Dak being the highest paid. A 4-year extension with similar guarantees to Wentz and Goff should reasonably get it done. But a 6 year deal makes no sense for Dak to sign unless he becomes the highest paid by a pretty wide margin.
This is why they should have extended him last year. Instead they let him prove himself. Now we pay if we want to keep him. Hoping it doesn’t make for bad blood between them.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Thanks jay

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
You're completely missing the point. The Cowboys want a long term deal. Dak wants a shorter one.
If Dak wants a shorter deal, then give him a one year prove it franchise tag, best of both worlds because from what I've watched thus far, unless he has a full compliment of players on offense, he's just a bus driver QB who has progressed but too many times he resorts to old bad habits...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tag him, trade him..next

he’s to much drama for a average QB
The media and fans are the drama. That's what sells for the media, and there are a lot of fans that are too eager to make everything feel like a soap opera.. I doubt very much the team is feeling all hyped up like the media and fans.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yep,me too.in 4 years we are looking at a contract close to 50 million.
In 4 years the cap could be 300 mil, evidently they all see a big rise in the cap in near future.
This is what makes any contracts signed now difficult.
So where 40 mil a year is too much now, in 2-3 years it may be low .
I would think they would sign dak to a avg amount, and then % increases based on cap increases, that should do it.
but the jones boys want him locked in to what could be a low amount in 4 years.