So, my wife sends me a text...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3756983 said:
Wait -- this was Applebee's? A hat is more acceptable there.

Hat shmat. I would have worn a fake mustache to avoid being recognized.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
when he wears this I just got to chuckle to my self

he really looks bad

http://i80.***BLOCKED***/albums/j190/sjurg71/Blue-Star-Exclusive-Tony-Romos-Hat-Speaks.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
theogt;3756983 said:
Wait -- this was Applebee's? A hat is more acceptable there.
:laugh2:
Seriously.
I've seen Applebees almost look like Sport's Bar on certain days. Swank it is not.

This whole thread comes down to individual tastes and preferences. Unless someone is violating an establishment's dress code, it really is no harm-no foul. If some say that's poor taste, that's fine too...but it's no big deal.

Now this is not at all the same as the wedding argument earlier. Assuming it is not an ultra casual affair, then the guest (let's not forget that difference, the person was invited and it's not an open event) should at least respect the host's wishes on attire. Generally a lude teeshirt would be beyond rude to the hosts. This is not the same as sytle differences.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
UnoDallas;3757009 said:

he really looks bad

http://i80.***BLOCKED***/albums/j190/sjurg71/Blue-Star-Exclusive-Tony-Romos-Hat-Speaks.jpg

The Newsie hat really *is* ridiculous.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3757009 said:

he really looks bad

My eyes! Now that should be some type of moral violation etiquette code.

Venger

Reaction score
Idgit;3756892 said:
We can also classify all sorts of normal behavior as slovenly, if we make arbitrary evaluations fit our mood. Green ties after September? Insulting.
Only if it's black tie...

The problem is when you think you have any say in terms of what's appropriate for another person. It really is none of your business. At all. You don't have to like it, as long as you realize that your opinion has no bearing on what another person should or should not do.
While sympathetic to this ultra-libertarian line of thinking, it is not functional when living with other people. We have written in law and unwritten in social mores expectations for how we behave together in certain situations. That includes how we present ourselves to the world.

Meet the 'civilized' world's expectations and arbitrary standards at the cost of your own judgment?
I think judgment is what we would call "the point" here... "I'll wear whatever I like, I don't care what anyone says" - is that good judgment? To dinner? To church? To Dad's funeral? To my nephew's baptism? You cannot possibly think that line of thought belongs in any head older than 8 years old. If you think the hat thing is passe and old fashioned and should be ignored - yeah, I hear you. But you can make that point on a rational person basis, not on a do-what-I-want-cause-I-am-FREE basis that doesn't pass muster in the real world.

This is the same argument behind burqas and public school dress uniforms. I'll wear my burqa where I please, thank you.
Not sure how you got to a burqa from here, nor how it applies...
Honor arbitrary standards at your own peril.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

Nothing arbitrary about them - social standards of conduct are a result of interactions across generations of people functioning in society. They are exactly the opposite of arbitrary.
There's very little meaningful downside in ignoring them in an enlightened society.
Remember that when you wear a nose ring and go shirtless at your next job interview. Maybe you'll be interviewing at an 'enlightened' employer. It is enlightened society that embraces social mores - it's the self involved who have no time nor concern for the appearance of their acts in the eyes of others.

A society you describe would lack even the most basic courtesies.

Venger

Reaction score
DFWJC;3757023 said:
This whole thread comes down to individual tastes and preferences. Unless someone is violating an establishment's dress code, it really is no harm-no foul. If some say that's poor taste, that's fine too...but it's no big deal.
I think that's all it ever was...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
http://img529.*************/img529/9583/03189u2.jpg

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Pampered athletes defying societal conventions!

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3757009 said:

he really looks bad

He looks like a total dork.

Always has...always will.

If Candice has any say...she will tell him to never wear that thing again.

I don't care if it's front...back or side ways...those things look stupid...period.

Oh...also...take your fricking hat off in a nice restaurant or someone else's home.

I'm glad my parents taught me some manners.

I don't care if it has become fashionable or not.

It is wrong and will always be looked down upon.

Oh you can do as you please...but you're wrong.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3757045 said:
He looks like a total dork.

Always has...always will.

If Candice has any say...she will tell him to never wear that thing again.

I don't care if it's front...back or side ways...those things look stupid...period.

Oh...also...take your fricking hat off in a nice restaurant or someone else's home.

I'm glad my parents taught me some manners.

I don't care if it has become fashionable or not.

It is wrong and will always be looked down upon.

Oh you can do as you please...but you're wrong.

Funny thing I found a few months ago. Candice wrote this before they started dating, after the regular season loss to Philadelphia.

And while I'm on the subject, the fashion shows that Romo has during the press conferences are creating quite a lot of animosity among the fans. Someone needs to tell him that after yet another loss, coming out in a beret only shifts the focus from how you completely lost the game to how you have completely lost your mind.

Venger

Reaction score
That's not a beret, it's a golfers cap (flat cap)...

Was that after 44-6 Philly? Everything was wrong that day...

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;3757050 said:
Funny thing I found a few months ago. Candice wrote this before they started dating, after the regular season loss to Philadelphia.

Behind every great man...is a woman.

:D

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Venger;3757053 said:
That's not a beret, it's a golfers cap (flat cap)...

Was that after 44-6 Philly? Everything was wrong that day...

True.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
bbgun;3756791 said:
People advocating basic manners = stuck up whining? Interesting.

Basic to who and for what reason? You're not being polite by taking the hat off, you're not doing anything for anyone by wearing it or not. Others just need to mind their own business, it hurts nobody, and not a soul should be bothered by it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3757227 said:
Basic to who

The vast majority of sensible and considerate people.

and for what reason?

It's widely considered to be rude.

You're not being polite by taking the hat off, you're not doing anything for anyone by wearing it or not. Others just need to mind their own business, it hurts nobody, and not a soul should be bothered by it.

Then prepare to be ostracized. You have the right to flout society's conventions, and the people you offend have the right to react.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I rarely wear hats but if I do, I don't take them off indoors, hell I wear one only because I haven't washed my hair yet and don't want people to see it dirty. I also only wear my baseball hats backwards amd usually only with track pants.

Hats are a fashion statement now so why take them off.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
bbgun;3757231 said:
The vast majority of sensible and considerate people.

It's widely considered to be rude.

Then prepare to be ostracized. You have the right to flout society's conventions, and the people you offend have the right to react.

Precisely. It's occurred to me that one Child's Play enjoys being argumentative, for the sake of being.

The next time I'm reprimanded for holding the door open for a lady will be the third instance, life time. The next time I'm corrected for not holding it open will be the first, lifetime. Yes, there are very liberated women in the world. Yes, they'll take offense at it. I'm still going to do it, because it's the right thing to do.

Somethings are a matter of upbringing and personal mores. A person who lets the door drop in front of a lady tells me a lot about them as a person.

Good example, I rode the bus to school from the parking lots every day this past semester. I couldn't count the number of times I chose to stand to give my seat up to a much younger lady. I also couldn't count the number of times I was turned down. Same reason why I carried two umbrellas with me all the time to campus. Gave both of them away every time it rained too.

Not that I'm dumb, I carry a plastic poncho as well.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3757235 said:
Precisely. It's occurred to me that one Child's Play enjoys being argumentative, for the sake of being.

The next time I'm reprimanded for holding the door open for a lady will be the third instance, life time. The next time I'm corrected for not holding it open will be the first, lifetime. Yes, there are very liberated women in the world. Yes, they'll take offense at it. I'm still going to do it, because it's the right thing to do.

Somethings are a matter of upbringing and personal mores. A person who lets the door drop in front of a lady tells me a lot about them as a person.

Good example, I rode the bus to school from the parking lots every day this past semester. I couldn't count the number of times I chose to stand to give my seat up to a much younger lady. I also couldn't count the number of times I was turned down. Same reason why I carried two umbrellas with me all the time to campus. Gave both of them away every time it rained too.

Not that I'm dumb, I carry a plastic poncho as well.

I will give a seat up to a pregnant woman and a senior but that is it. I see women as equal so they can stand too.