Some of y'all will never get it

Thorn

Reaction score
I think that Jerry would sell both of his kidneys for one more championship. I'm not entirely certain that Stephen cares at all.
Will sell his kidneys but not change the organizational structure to bring in a GM and football personnel in the front office. Does he really want it as bad as he says? At what cost?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Polish the shoes, soldier...
BFuDQMU.gif
BFuDQMU.gif

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of that, however Jerry hired Jimmy and had to be willing to cut all the checks to get all of the free agent talent to push us over the top.
Who else was he going to hire? The man was out of football for 25 years, of course he was going to hire his good friend and a proven college football coach, with a national championship on his resume. Like I said, you have to have knowledge to apply smarts and he knew Jimmy.

But I agree, the argument will go on forever....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Will sell his kidneys but not change the organizational structure to bring in a GM and football personnel in the front office. Does he really want it as bad as he says? At what cost?
Even without his kidneys, he's still Jerry Jones, owner and general manager, by default if not by actuality, responsible for the success/failure of the Cowboys.
If he brings in another guy as general manager and the Cowboys win a SB, then for most people it would be glaringly obvious that the 3 prior SB wins were Jimmy's doing, not Jerry.

And Jerry couldn't stand that....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don/t ignore the facts presented here. Jimmy got no other team to the standard the Cowboys were during the years that he was Dallas. Nor have many others more recently.

Fact is it took both Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson, both. Not just Jimmy Johnson. The two of them worked the success level until Jimmy was fired for non-team reasons. I'm going to negotiate a court action to determine who was in fact responsible for their seperation.

Now, as is being ignored, the difference between when he was in Dallas and when he was in Miami, was the roster.

If one has taken a monotone one has done nothing more but blame all else on Jerry. The point is that Jerry moved mountains to get Jimmy all the talent needed to gain enough talent to be able to travel the path needed and strength to win a Super Bowl.

Murchison ran out of money trying to do the same with Landry and finally had to sell the team. That had nothing to do with blaming all upon Jerry Jones. Spending the necessary money flow killed the Murchison ownership even with his Father being one of the very richest in the financial community in the US.

Landry, and Murchison were a great pairing as long as the money held out. This is the functional element not given credit in looking back. Landry was a strong coach. He demanded discipline and developed techniques to excell in the NFL. Money and his management carried his teams.

The difference between Jimmy and today's Mike McCarthy is that today's players are spoiled as to their values in a cap era along with the limited cap flexability in today's NFL. Not having a cap allowed build up of the rosters to the Johnson two Super Bowls.

Jimmy could replace a large number of drafted players with the Herchel Walker surplus of draft picks and trades of that number. That and paying for specific players who were free agents. Hey, Jimmy forged the way and with cast offs from other teams and unknowns in the draft. That was the seperator. But that took both as Jerry was moving mountains for the team to even survive those formative years. But then, the cap and team equalizers entered the picture.

After Parcells, Stephen realized that in cap management, that the Cowboys could no longer pay free agents to build with, just as did Washington. Stephen held the line and Jerry then built up a top shelf Scouting Group to build continuity in the draft. This gave Dallas a strong ability to conduct and gain an influx of NFL strengths and dependability to fill out rosters with good players.

The Cowboys are good at doing just that now. They have two players in contention for Offensive Players of the Year: Lamb and Prescott. They also have two players in contention for Defensive Players of the Year: Parsons and Bland.

The team also had 9 Pro Bowlers.

The team will have a pair of IR's that are good to strong players returning this next season. There also should be enough flex to correct the status of the offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers. The free agency could be addressed for a running back of value..

This leaves the picture today, of McCarthy leading his team and it could also be a stronger team yet for next season. This is football, that is maximizing momentum and thus rhythm.

The excuse of 30 years isn't a picture of the path traveled. It is an excuse to name, blame, and grab upon a whipping boy excuse to excuse a fan's own and personalized disappointments. That, although is not a snapshot for actual functions nor
potentials for real success.

Where is Cleveland? Where are the Steelers? Where is New England? Why has it taken Detroit to now to even make a NFC Championship Game? How come Buffalo doesn't have a Super Bowl? What happened to Cincinnati? All the way around ... drafts, injury, cap management and equality in talent levels all affect today's game and when a single game is played in the playoffs, a lot of things in a one match-up can affect a team and a single game. Momentum and resulting rhythm is what wins and loses in the playoffs.

Over the past 10 seasons, the team has 6 seasons with 10 or more wins in those seasons. That is NOT walking blindly.

The Dallas Cowboys are fully into winning and are walking the path to honestly win. The team is loved by it's players and that has never changed. Both owners upheld the principals to be respected by fans as well. The current Cowboys experienced the changes that progressed through the changes in sport. It has received a lot of NFL bias since the very beginning. Two honest owners struggled to succeed despite having to overcome all in their path. That I still respect and am glad to say I respect that foundation ethics.

I'm not ashamed to say at least, thank you Jerry. I'll watch and not blame on the level of just winning it all. I'll at least acknowledge that the team is at the level of play off competitor and hope direction of team will still continue making progress in it's own pathway and successes.

I at least won't stigmatize my Dallas Cowboys by saying they don't deserve my respect. Sorry, I'm also loyal.
You don’t even frikin realize who our owner was. It wasn’t Murchison but Bum Bright who was failing financially selling out to Jones.

This total absence of accurate factual data of your defense of Jethro a great example of this embarrassing attempt to defend our disgraceful current ownership.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Don/t ignore the facts presented here. Jimmy got no other team to the standard the Cowboys were during the years that he was Dallas. Nor have many others more recently.

Fact is it took both Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson, both. Not just Jimmy Johnson. The two of them worked the success level until Jimmy was fired for non-team reasons. I'm going to negotiate a court action to determine who was in fact responsible for their seperation.

Now, as is being ignored, the difference between when he was in Dallas and when he was in Miami, was the roster.

If one has taken a monotone one has done nothing more but blame all else on Jerry. The point is that Jerry moved mountains to get Jimmy all the talent needed to gain enough talent to be able to travel the path needed and strength to win a Super Bowl.

Murchison ran out of money trying to do the same with Landry and finally had to sell the team. That had nothing to do with blaming all upon Jerry Jones. Spending the necessary money flow killed the Murchison ownership even with his Father being one of the very richest in the financial community in the US.

Landry, and Murchison were a great pairing as long as the money held out. This is the functional element not given credit in looking back. Landry was a strong coach. He demanded discipline and developed techniques to excell in the NFL. Money and his management carried his teams.

The difference between Jimmy and today's Mike McCarthy is that today's players are spoiled as to their values in a cap era along with the limited cap flexability in today's NFL. Not having a cap allowed build up of the rosters to the Johnson two Super Bowls.

Jimmy could replace a large number of drafted players with the Herchel Walker surplus of draft picks and trades of that number. That and paying for specific players who were free agents. Hey, Jimmy forged the way and with cast offs from other teams and unknowns in the draft. That was the seperator. But that took both as Jerry was moving mountains for the team to even survive those formative years. But then, the cap and team equalizers entered the picture.

After Parcells, Stephen realized that in cap management, that the Cowboys could no longer pay free agents to build with, just as did Washington. Stephen held the line and Jerry then built up a top shelf Scouting Group to build continuity in the draft. This gave Dallas a strong ability to conduct and gain an influx of NFL strengths and dependability to fill out rosters with good players.

The Cowboys are good at doing just that now. They have two players in contention for Offensive Players of the Year: Lamb and Prescott. They also have two players in contention for Defensive Players of the Year: Parsons and Bland.

The team also had 9 Pro Bowlers.

The team will have a pair of IR's that are good to strong players returning this next season. There also should be enough flex to correct the status of the offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers. The free agency could be addressed for a running back of value..

This leaves the picture today, of McCarthy leading his team and it could also be a stronger team yet for next season. This is football, that is maximizing momentum and thus rhythm.

The excuse of 30 years isn't a picture of the path traveled. It is an excuse to name, blame, and grab upon a whipping boy excuse to excuse a fan's own and personalized disappointments. That, although is not a snapshot for actual functions nor
potentials for real success.

Where is Cleveland? Where are the Steelers? Where is New England? Why has it taken Detroit to now to even make a NFC Championship Game? How come Buffalo doesn't have a Super Bowl? What happened to Cincinnati? All the way around ... drafts, injury, cap management and equality in talent levels all affect today's game and when a single game is played in the playoffs, a lot of things in a one match-up can affect a team and a single game. Momentum and resulting rhythm is what wins and loses in the playoffs.

Over the past 10 seasons, the team has 6 seasons with 10 or more wins in those seasons. That is NOT walking blindly.

The Dallas Cowboys are fully into winning and are walking the path to honestly win. The team is loved by it's players and that has never changed. Both owners upheld the principals to be respected by fans as well. The current Cowboys experienced the changes that progressed through the changes in sport. It has received a lot of NFL bias since the very beginning. Two honest owners struggled to succeed despite having to overcome all in their path. That I still respect and am glad to say I respect that foundation ethics.

I'm not ashamed to say at least, thank you Jerry. I'll watch and not blame on the level of just winning it all. I'll at least acknowledge that the team is at the level of play off competitor and hope direction of team will still continue making progress in it's own pathway and successes.

I at least won't stigmatize my Dallas Cowboys by saying they don't deserve my respect. Sorry, I'm also loyal.
Lol...so after all that, at the end, it's just a "I'm a better fan than you because you're mad about losing" post. Got it.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I am certain that you know, without a doubt, the inner workings of the mind and motivations of Jerry Jones.

What is he supposed to say? "Ef that guy! He's a LOSER!" Yup, that is awesome for the team and the entire organization. Really shows that he stands behind his employees and that'll attract future great coaches that have other options. smh
Yeah, because coming out immediately in support of your loser coach is so much more motivation for our players. What am I saying...our complacent players probably loved it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lol...so after all that, at the end, it's just a "I'm a better fan than you because you're mad about losing" post. Got it.
Yea, any Cowboy fan by now who doesn’t realize those championships were more about Jimmy then they aren’t the great fans they think they are. They’re idiots.

Jethro gets credit for hiring Jimmy. That’s it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jethro gets credit for hiring Jimmy. That’s it.
Nah, there's more to it than that. Even I know that, and I'm the first to give Jimmy most of the credit for the 3 SB wins under the Jones regime.

Not a lot more, but some. Nobody disputes that Jerry wanted Emmitt but Jimmy wanted James Francis as their first pick in the 1990 draft. Fortunately, Francis was picked just ahead of Dallas' pick so Jimmy went along with Jerry. But in that particular instance, Jerry clearly had a better view of what player was the better choice originally.

Most of what went on behind closed doors in Dallas is and will probably remain unknown. Jerry's a really smart guy, to think other than hiring Jimmy he didn't have a single good thought or action about the Cowboys just isn't realistic...

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Nah, there's more to it than that. Even I know that, and I'm the first to give Jimmy most of the credit for the 3 SB wins under the Jones regime.

Not a lot more, but some. Nobody disputes that Jerry wanted Emmitt but Jimmy wanted James Francis as their first pick in the 1990 draft. Fortunately, Francis was picked just ahead of Dallas' pick so Jimmy went along with Jerry. But in that particular instance, Jerry clearly had a better view of what player was the better choice originally.

Most of what went on behind closed doors in Dallas is and will probably remain unknown. Jerry's a really smart guy, to think other than hiring Jimmy he didn't have a single good thought or action about the Cowboys just isn't realistic...
Honestly, I don't even care about the 90's anymore. It's ancient history, and this is coming from someone who clings to his VHS Super Bowl tapes. But watching those tapes today just makes me depressed because I'm getting old. The last decade has nothing to do with Jimmy, and we could have had two more rings in that time if we had a better owner/GM. Or the old Jerry who would do anything to win. If Jerry IS still smart, then he is just refusing to do what is necessary to win. Either way, it's bad.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Didn’t say he didn’t have any thoughts . Sure, Jethro had to approve or rubber stamp Jimmy's decision.

But the agreement between them was , Jimmy ran football operations and Jethro the business side.

Once Jethro wanted more credit for the football side , only then did issues between them begin.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Jerry is a smart but he gambles to much and thinks he can take short cuts.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Didn’t say he didn’t have any thoughts . Sure, Jethro had to approve or rubber stamp Jimmy's decision.

But the agreement between them was , Jimmy ran football operations and Jethro the business side.

Once Jethro wanted more credit for the football side and begun meddling , only then did issues between them begin.
Jerry didn't realize that since Jimmy was on the field rather than in the box upstairs the natural reaction for most people is that the coach has way more to do with the team's success. He probably thought just doing press conferences and showing up on the sidelines at the end off games would make people think he was equally as responsible.

But that ain't the way it works, mainly because nearly every other owner is content with just owning a championship team....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even care about the 90's anymore. It's ancient history, and this is coming from someone who clings to his VHS Super Bowl tapes. But watching those tapes today just makes me depressed because I'm getting old. The last decade has nothing to do with Jimmy, and we could have had two more rings in that time if we had a better owner/GM. Or the old Jerry who would do anything to win. If Jerry IS still smart, then he is just refusing to do what is necessary to win. Either way, it's bad.
Jethro could have been one of the greatest owners in NFL history if not for his selfish ambitions to be a football guy celebrity.

The financial contributions with his brilliant revolutionary revenue streams landed him in the HOF.

But unfortunately winning wasn’t enough for him. He had to be the face of the franchise and the man . The rest is history.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry didn't realize that since Jimmy was on the field rather than in the box upstairs the natural reaction for most people is that the coach has way more to do with the team's success. He probably thought just doing press conferences and showing up on the sidelines at the end off games would make people think he was equally as responsible.

But that ain't the way it works, mainly because nearly every other owner is content with just owning a championship team....
Yep

Jimmys recent book “ Swagger” dedicates an entire chapter on it. A must read for all Cowboy fans.

Basically Jethro couldn’t believe he wasn’t getting more credit for what he was doing on the business side . Once the accolades begun coming in for Jimmys achievement on the field , Jethro saw how much more fun that was along with the attention it brought and wanted to be a bigger part of it.

And that went against their initial agreement. It just wasn’t enough for the success unless he was involved . It’s ultimately why Jimmy left .

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe 'forced' is not accurate. Jerry Jones has always been an opportunistic gambler. Dak Prescott historic level of play, during the first two months of his rookie season, convinced Jones to switch his long-time 100% support for Romo to him. Jones pulled the trigger and dismissed Romo.

Jones maintains an Uncle Jerry aura that some people strongly buy into. Like, he is loyal to his players. Like, his type of speech offsets someone who cannot be serious about anything. Etc. Jones has a veneer covering his personality. He has demonstrated that he can be 'hard' and even cutthroat. This is the same man who:
  • had zero qualms unceremoniously firing someone else's Hall of Fame coach as a condition of purchasing the franchise
  • was completely defiant in securing commercial endorsements in opposition of the league's advertiser/sponsors agreements
  • pitted the Dallas and Arlington municipalities against each other, attaining taxing revenue that mostly built a billion dollar stadium
  • signed a veteran quarterback to mentor his second round draft pick and kicked him to the curb before the regular season even began
  • (lol) told his long-time college friend, every year, for a number of years, that he would eventually put him into the franchise's ring of honor
  • had zero qualms (again) firing his long-time, two-time defending Super Bowl winning college friend for being 'insubordinate'
Etc.

Fact: Jerral Wayne Jones does what Jerral Wayne Jones wants. Some people (not you necessarily) have stuck with the assumption Jason Garrett made the 2016 quarterback switch with little or no input from Jones. Jones. Jerry Jones. The same guy, who is on record publicly, has expressed his opinions about everything to do with his franchise and team hundreds upon hundreds of times. Jerry 'I keep finding wunderkind coaches with no real resumes and they will win for me no matter what dagnabbit!' Jones. Ridiculous. At best, Garrett agreed with Jones' decision and played the official part of hatchet man.

No one or no thing comes close to forcing Jones to do anything unless he is cornered (Aikman/his daughter/Netflix camera crew) or supposedly slammed into a wall (his oldest kid concerning Johnny Manziel). Jones kicked Romo to the curb because he 'knew' he had his definition of a new franchise quarterback was already on his roster. Jones wanted the swap. He made the swap happen with his blessing.
But of course jerry doesnt get forced. Until he does....to himself. He forced himself to bench romo then forced himself to double down 8 times since.

Yes....that is what i meant by "forced". Jerry pressure on jerrry. Hes nuts.