Some of y'all will never get it

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes, there is a reason. Reviewing the franchise's quarterback acquisition history since 1989 helps.

Troy Aikman was a Jimmy Johnson pick. Since Johnson's departure, every other quarterback acquisition has either been proactively secured (e.g. Quincy Carter, Drew Bledsoe, or even more recently Trey Lance) or were not initially assessed and projected as starting caliber (e.g. Tony Romo & Dak Prescott).

Here are two questions in regards to the team landing a 'top pedigree' quarterback. How will that happen exactly when Jerry Jones, post-Johnson, has neither allocated a first round draft pick nor a top three, starting veteran, unrestricted free agent (or poached a top restricted starting quarterback from another team's roster)? Or is this a realistic expectation that will happen sometime after Jones' successor takes over from him?

I believe these are valid questions. Jones has been, and most likely will continue to be, the reason why a top pedigree quarterback has not and possibly shall not come here to do a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.
What you are implying here is that only a first round quarterback either has all the talent on top shelf, or you haven't even presented, it allows cheaply to provide the leadership and allow retention of the already gained roster to sustain a period of intense success.

If the lower drafted don't or even more, implied, can not suceed, first explain San Francisco here and now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
One of the best posts this season. All true of course but there’s a sucker born every minute that will continue to buy tickets and merchandise, which btw doesn’t make these people any more of a fan than you and me who stopped buying anything w Cowboys on it years ago.

It’s business as usual here in Dallas, and almost thirty years without a deep playoff run has had zero effect on Jerry & Giggles on how they run this playoff irrelevant franchise.
During the 60's...even remember? The term you imply is straight ahead, NOT right on.

Pouting doesn't change the real functions...and actually is insulting in nature. That's really top shelf pride alright.

Oh, you bet...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Romo/Prescott thing...I think the win streak forced his hand...thinking that was his little brand new pet that won those games.
I believe 'forced' is not accurate. Jerry Jones has always been an opportunistic gambler. Dak Prescott historic level of play, during the first two months of his rookie season, convinced Jones to switch his long-time 100% support for Romo to him. Jones pulled the trigger and dismissed Romo.

Jones maintains an Uncle Jerry aura that some people strongly buy into. Like, he is loyal to his players. Like, his type of speech offsets someone who cannot be serious about anything. Etc. Jones has a veneer covering his personality. He has demonstrated that he can be 'hard' and even cutthroat. This is the same man who:
  • had zero qualms unceremoniously firing someone else's Hall of Fame coach as a condition of purchasing the franchise
  • was completely defiant in securing commercial endorsements in opposition of the league's advertiser/sponsors agreements
  • pitted the Dallas and Arlington municipalities against each other, attaining taxing revenue that mostly built a billion dollar stadium
  • signed a veteran quarterback to mentor his second round draft pick and kicked him to the curb before the regular season even began
  • (lol) told his long-time college friend, every year, for a number of years, that he would eventually put him into the franchise's ring of honor
  • had zero qualms (again) firing his long-time, two-time defending Super Bowl winning college friend for being 'insubordinate'
Etc.

Fact: Jerral Wayne Jones does what Jerral Wayne Jones wants. Some people (not you necessarily) have stuck with the assumption Jason Garrett made the 2016 quarterback switch with little or no input from Jones. Jones. Jerry Jones. The same guy, who is on record publicly, has expressed his opinions about everything to do with his franchise and team hundreds upon hundreds of times. Jerry 'I keep finding wunderkind coaches with no real resumes and they will win for me no matter what dagnabbit!' Jones. Ridiculous. At best, Garrett agreed with Jones' decision and played the official part of hatchet man.

No one or no thing comes close to forcing Jones to do anything unless he is cornered (Aikman/his daughter/Netflix camera crew) or supposedly slammed into a wall (his oldest kid concerning Johnny Manziel). Jones kicked Romo to the curb because he 'knew' he had his definition of a new franchise quarterback was already on his roster. Jones wanted the swap. He made the swap happen with his blessing.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To add, this is where most top QB's come from: The top of the draft. Yes, I know you have your exceptions like Brady and maybe Purdy, but mostly they are 1st round picks.

So, how does a team get to the top of the draft? By tearing it down and losing. And that is one thing Jerry absolutely refuses to do. That is the biggest reason we don't get top QB's here.
Jones could attempt to make a first-round quarterback selection happen without 'tearing it down and tanking'. It would require commitment, draft capital and innovative thinking but it is possible. That is, it is possible for someone who wants to make it happen.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I think that Jerry would sell both of his kidneys for one more championship. I'm not entirely certain that Stephen cares at all.
Jerry doesn't care anymore. Look no further than the defeat of a lifetime at the hands of Green Bay. He goes immediately to the locker room after the game. The only time he does that is to give his rah-rah speech about how proud he is of the team and how we'll get 'em next year. He talks trash about how "we'll see how each game goes" and then doesn't even blink before telling us how much he loves fat Mike. Jerry is a pathetic, cheap fool, and his son cares even less. Neither cares if they ever see another trophy here.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't care anymore. Look no further than the defeat of a lifetime at the hands of Green Bay. He goes immediately to the locker room after the game. The only time he does that is to give his rah-rah speech about how proud he is of the team and how we'll get 'em next year. He talks trash about how "we'll see how each game goes" and then doesn't even blink before telling us how much he loves fat Mike. Jerry is a pathetic, cheap fool, and his son cares even less. Neither cares if they ever see another trophy here.
Don't go blind...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
When Jerry is dead and gone, who will you blame when the Cowboys don't win the Super Bowl every year? Assuming Stephen hires a GM, him? Or will it just be a "puppet" (as declared by you) GM and still be on Stephen?
Don't want to win the SB every year but we should be competitive and we are not. I don't care about the regular season when you can pad your stats on bad teams. The way the NFL is set up now you really have to be bad not to make the playoffs t. If we had a GM who was not the owner, we would hold him accountable. If he can't fix this team then we will go on to someone else...you know like other teams do. The current GM doesn't have to answer to anybody. He appointed himself GM for life.

Cmac

Reaction score
Hire this coach! Sign this free agent! Draft this guy! It's not about a guy here or there with this team, it starts at the top. It's a dysfunctional organization.

Jerry and Stephen Jones are unique. No other NFL team has the owner as GM and his son as Director of Player Personnel. This has been the arrangement in Dallas for 28 years. They have won four wild card games. That's it. That's all they have to show for it. They've fired more head coaches than playoff wins in that time.

Take a good hard look. These are the masterminds you're counting on after 28 years of trying. If you weren't a Cowboys fan, you'd laugh at them. They're a joke.

They aren't going to suddenly figure it out, they aren't going to quit while the money still rolls in, so accept 12-5. It's as good as it is going to get. Enjoy.

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
So this organization is like the hitchhiker that doesn't take a step forward.......still in the same place. I'm glad I've witnessed all 5 rings and truly feel bad for the youngsters on this board that haven't witnessed one ring.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I am certain that you know, without a doubt, the inner workings of the mind and motivations of Jerry Jones.

What is he supposed to say? "Ef that guy! He's a LOSER!" Yup, that is awesome for the team and the entire organization. Really shows that he stands behind his employees and that'll attract future great coaches that have other options. smh

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What you are implying here is that only a first round quarterback either has all the talent on top shelf, or you haven't even presented, it allows cheaply to provide the leadership and allow retention of the already gained roster to sustain a period of intense success.

If the lower drafted don't or even more, implied, can not suceed, first explain San Francisco here and now.
NU41XWK.gif

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hire this coach! Sign this free agent! Draft this guy! It's not about a guy here or there with this team, it starts at the top. It's a dysfunctional organization.

Jerry and Stephen Jones are unique. No other NFL team has the owner as GM and his son as Director of Player Personnel. This has been the arrangement in Dallas for 28 years. They have won four wild card games. That's it. That's all they have to show for it. They've fired more head coaches than playoff wins in that time.

Take a good hard look. These are the masterminds you're counting on after 28 years of trying. If you weren't a Cowboys fan, you'd laugh at them. They're a joke.

They aren't going to suddenly figure it out, they aren't going to quit while the money still rolls in, so accept 12-5. It's as good as it is going to get. Enjoy.

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
just stay relevant

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yes, there is a reason. Reviewing the franchise's quarterback acquisition history since 1989 helps.

Troy Aikman was a Jimmy Johnson pick. Since Johnson's departure, every other quarterback acquisition has either been proactively secured (e.g. Quincy Carter, Drew Bledsoe, or even more recently Trey Lance) or were not initially assessed and projected as starting caliber (e.g. Tony Romo & Dak Prescott).

Here are two questions in regards to the team landing a 'top pedigree' quarterback. How will that happen exactly when Jerry Jones, post-Johnson, has neither allocated a first round draft pick nor a top three, starting veteran, unrestricted free agent (or poached a top restricted starting quarterback from another team's roster)? Or is this a realistic expectation that will happen sometime after Jones' successor takes over from him?

I believe these are valid questions. Jones has been, and most likely will continue to be, the reason why a top pedigree quarterback has not and possibly shall not come here to do a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.
I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm saying if it did they would have a better chance than what they have now. Even if they had to trade 3#1 picks. This team could of beat SF had Dak had only a half an apple stuck in his throat instead of a whole apple. Yes you are correct! Jerry will never trade up to get a top QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
No other fans would want these owners this era.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm saying if it did they would have a better chance than what they have now. Even if they had to trade 3#1 picks. This team could of beat SF had Dak had only a half an apple stuck in his throat instead of a whole apple. Yes you are correct! Jerry will never trade up to get a top QB.
Understood. 'If' is the keyword. Why that particular keyword is even a question is essential what the OP is all about.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look at the Lions. The only remaining NFL team without a Super Bowl appearance that’s been around for all them .

And are in a better position than we are to advance deeper.

That’s the difference. Other NFL franchises have a better opportunity to finally get it right.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don/t ignore the facts presented here. Jimmy got no other team to the standard the Cowboys were during the years that he was Dallas. Nor have many others more recently.

Fact is it took both Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson, both. Not just Jimmy Johnson. The two of them worked the success level until Jimmy was fired for non-team reasons. I'm going to negotiate a court action to determine who was in fact responsible for their seperation.

Now, as is being ignored, the difference between when he was in Dallas and when he was in Miami, was the roster.

If one has taken a monotone one has done nothing more but blame all else on Jerry. The point is that Jerry moved mountains to get Jimmy all the talent needed to gain enough talent to be able to travel the path needed and strength to win a Super Bowl.

Murchison ran out of money trying to do the same with Landry and finally had to sell the team. That had nothing to do with blaming all upon Jerry Jones. Spending the necessary money flow killed the Murchison ownership even with his Father being one of the very richest in the financial community in the US.

Landry, and Murchison were a great pairing as long as the money held out. This is the functional element not given credit in looking back. Landry was a strong coach. He demanded discipline and developed techniques to excell in the NFL. Money and his management carried his teams.

The difference between Jimmy and today's Mike McCarthy is that today's players are spoiled as to their values in a cap era along with the limited cap flexability in today's NFL. Not having a cap allowed build up of the rosters to the Johnson two Super Bowls.

Jimmy could replace a large number of drafted players with the Herchel Walker surplus of draft picks and trades of that number. That and paying for specific players who were free agents. Hey, Jimmy forged the way and with cast offs from other teams and unknowns in the draft. That was the seperator. But that took both as Jerry was moving mountains for the team to even survive those formative years. But then, the cap and team equalizers entered the picture.

After Parcells, Stephen realized that in cap management, that the Cowboys could no longer pay free agents to build with, just as did Washington. Stephen held the line and Jerry then built up a top shelf Scouting Group to build continuity in the draft. This gave Dallas a strong ability to conduct and gain an influx of NFL strengths and dependability to fill out rosters with good players.

The Cowboys are good at doing just that now. They have two players in contention for Offensive Players of the Year: Lamb and Prescott. They also have two players in contention for Defensive Players of the Year: Parsons and Bland.

The team also had 9 Pro Bowlers.

The team will have a pair of IR's that are good to strong players returning this next season. There also should be enough flex to correct the status of the offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers. The free agency could be addressed for a running back of value..

This leaves the picture today, of McCarthy leading his team and it could also be a stronger team yet for next season. This is football, that is maximizing momentum and thus rhythm.

The excuse of 30 years isn't a picture of the path traveled. It is an excuse to name, blame, and grab upon a whipping boy excuse to excuse a fan's own and personalized disappointments. That, although is not a snapshot for actual functions nor
potentials for real success.

Where is Cleveland? Where are the Steelers? Where is New England? Why has it taken Detroit to now to even make a NFC Championship Game? How come Buffalo doesn't have a Super Bowl? What happened to Cincinnati? All the way around ... drafts, injury, cap management and equality in talent levels all affect today's game and when a single game is played in the playoffs, a lot of things in a one match-up can affect a team and a single game. Momentum and resulting rhythm is what wins and loses in the playoffs.

Over the past 10 seasons, the team has 6 seasons with 10 or more wins in those seasons. That is NOT walking blindly.

The Dallas Cowboys are fully into winning and are walking the path to honestly win. The team is loved by it's players and that has never changed. Both owners upheld the principals to be respected by fans as well. The current Cowboys experienced the changes that progressed through the changes in sport. It has received a lot of NFL bias since the very beginning. Two honest owners struggled to succeed despite having to overcome all in their path. That I still respect and am glad to say I respect that foundation ethics.

I'm not ashamed to say at least, thank you Jerry. I'll watch and not blame on the level of just winning it all. I'll at least acknowledge that the team is at the level of play off competitor and hope direction of team will still continue making progress in it's own pathway and successes.

I at least won't stigmatize my Dallas Cowboys by saying they don't deserve my respect. Sorry, I'm also loyal.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Don't want to win the SB every year but we should be competitive and we are not. I don't care about the regular season when you can pad your stats on bad teams. The way the NFL is set up now you really have to be bad not to make the playoffs t. If we had a GM who was not the owner, we would hold him accountable. If he can't fix this team then we will go on to someone else...you know like other teams do. The current GM doesn't have to answer to anybody. He appointed himself GM for life.
So it's always on management? Never the players?