Some of y'all will never get it

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Instead of everyone guessing. Go watch the podcast with Jesse Holley and Patrick Crayton....Both played for the Org!! Nobody in here did....They know how dysfunctional this organization was and still is. Anybody after watching this and still think Dallas will win again someday is either on Jerrys' burner account or completely clueless on how anything in the NFL works. IMHO after watching it? We're even more screwed then I thought :facepalm:

Sully

Reaction score
Hire this coach! Sign this free agent! Draft this guy! It's not about a guy here or there with this team, it starts at the top. It's a dysfunctional organization.

Jerry and Stephen Jones are unique. No other NFL team has the owner as GM and his son as Director of Player Personnel. This has been the arrangement in Dallas for 28 years. They have won four wild card games. That's it. That's all they have to show for it. They've fired more head coaches than playoff wins in that time.

Take a good hard look. These are the masterminds you're counting on after 28 years of trying. If you weren't a Cowboys fan, you'd laugh at them. They're a joke.

They aren't going to suddenly figure it out, they aren't going to quit while the money still rolls in, so accept 12-5. It's as good as it is going to get. Enjoy.

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
How ironic, I say the same statement when it comes to refereeing.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Instead of everyone guessing. Go watch the podcast with Jesse Holley and Patrick Crayton....Both played for the Org!! Nobody in here did....They know how dysfunctional this organization was and still is. Anybody after watching this and still think Dallas will win again someday is either on Jerrys' burner account or completely clueless on how anything in the NFL works. IMHO after watching it? We're even more screwed then I thought :facepalm:
Luck..thats it, i will continue to watch but understand our chance is we get lucky enough to win inspite of Jerry...

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm not sure the current GM would hire that coach that might be the bigger issue, the HC here must agree to the GM's social terms..and most HC's you speak of would not agree to said terms.
Exactly,
He would hafta be so good at his job of coaching that he could overcome Jerry.
The same with the QB position.

Imo the likes of Belicheck and Brady could have over come Jerry to the tune of a championship. As I feel Reid and Mahomes could overcome Jerry, Lamar and Harbaugh, Carroll and Wilson, Tomlin and Ben, Payton and Brees.
As you said, the problem lies in getting any coaches like these post Jimmy to take the job.
I think we might coulda done with Tuna if he had stayed with that 2007 team.

Nailing the QB pick is the other huge chess piece in this thing.
McCarthy and Prescott suck in the playoffs.

"Whoever" becomes the next GM will not change my mind towards the accountability/responsibilities of the head coach and QB regardless of the so called Dallas culture.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Exactly,
He would hafta be so good at his job of coaching that he could overcome Jerry.
The same with the QB position.

Imo the likes of Belicheck and Brady could have over come Jerry to the tune of a championship. As I feel Reid and Mahomes could overcome Jerry, Lamar and Harbaugh, Carroll and Wilson, Tomlin and Ben, Payton and Brees.
As you said, the problem lies in getting any coaches like these post Jimmy to take the job.
I think we might coulda done with Tuna if he had stayed with that 2007 team.

Nailing the QB pick is the other huge chess piece in this thing.
McCarthy and Prescott suck in the playoffs.

"Whoever" becomes the next GM will not change my mind towards the accountability/responsibilities of the head coach and QB regardless of the so called Dallas culture.
They could but not multiples again remeber Jimmy and Troy overcame it but in reality it should've been another Bill Brady yet this GM doesnt like winning more than he likes the credit..hence no Tony and Tuna success....

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Luck..thats it, i will continue to watch but understand our chance is we get lucky enough to win inspite of Jerry...
Dez Bryant rarely practiced and slept in team meetings. Everyone including coaches were afraid to say something because he was a Jerry pick. I'd trade 1 or 2 Super Bowl trophies if Jerry NEVER had bought the Dallas Cowboys. Every year we should mark the day he bought the team and throw up in unison:thumbdown::thumbdown:.The WORSE thing to EVER happen to the Dallas Cowboys -long term-in my opinion.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Dez Bryant rarely practiced and slept in team meetings. Everyone including coaches were afraid to say something because he was a Jerry pick. I'd trade 1 or 2 Super Bowl trophies if Jerry NEVER had bought the Dallas Cowboys. Every year we should mark the day he bought the team and throw up in unison:thumbdown::thumbdown:.The WORSE thing to EVER happen to the Dallas Cowboys -long term-in my opinion.
I sure would trade that 95 SB .

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Jerry makes the young players feel entitled. I'll run to grandpa if they make me mad. How can any coach-even Belichick - coach under these rules. It worked with Jimmy because the PLAYERS KNEW who ran the show-JIMMY. But now it's just a Circus with the three stooges of Jerry-Stephen and McClay exiting their clown cars. Really shouldn't say McClay because you know he really doesn't have any real power-despite the opposite that is reported. He's just holding his breath until his son graduates-I believe he does this year-and McClay will leave this circus. Remember I said it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hire this coach! Sign this free agent! Draft this guy! It's not about a guy here or there with this team, it starts at the top. It's a dysfunctional organization.

Jerry and Stephen Jones are unique. No other NFL team has the owner as GM and his son as Director of Player Personnel. This has been the arrangement in Dallas for 28 years. They have won four wild card games. That's it. That's all they have to show for it. They've fired more head coaches than playoff wins in that time.

Take a good hard look. These are the masterminds you're counting on after 28 years of trying. If you weren't a Cowboys fan, you'd laugh at them. They're a joke.

They aren't going to suddenly figure it out, they aren't going to quit while the money still rolls in, so accept 12-5. It's as good as it is going to get. Enjoy.

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
1: Fans love to complain. Most fans would be sad if Jerry were gone because it's not as much fun to complain about Stephen Jones (He's boring compared to Jerry).

2: I blame the Joneses for keeping Garrett/Marinelli far too long; however, for I don't see how either JJ or SF are the reason for the 2023 season playoff failure.
- McCarthy and Quinn are both regarded as legit NFL coaches (Unlike lack of previous experience Garrett and too old Marinelli).
- They've put together a roster with more talent than some teams that won playoff games.

3: Even without Jerry, the Dallas Cowboys would be a media circus because most NFL media's favorite team to "mention" is the Cowboys.
- It's been that way for a long-long time.
- Ever see the 1979 movie North Dallas Forty?
- Remember the "White House" during the Jimmy era?

- It requires a different level of Head Coach than other teams in order to win a Super Bowl.

- Landry
- Jimmy
- Jimmy's players with Switzer.

- We saw Switzer as a joke, but keep in mind he is one of the most successful football coaches of all time (in college).

4: Solution

- They'll only win a Super Bowl by having far more talent that the other playoff teams.
- Even if the Joneses suddenly vanished, the spotlight in Dallas is too bright for most players and coaches.
- The Jimmy, Parcells and now Belichick methods are increasingly difficult to implement with the modern era players.
- The common theme with successful playoffs teams this season seems to be a Head Coach with an edge/attitude.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Both are living on top of the world. They are not losing any sleep at night.
I have to disagree with you about Jerry.
Most of us, and Jerry as well, know that the prevailing feeling among NFL fans is that Jimmy got, and gets, the lion's share of credit for winning the 3 SBs. Jerry feels he didn't get enough credit for them, though he got some. For proof just watch the video of Jerry and Barry after the SB XXX win. They fought over holding that trophy like two dogs fighting over a bone. Jerry was elated, the Cowboys won a SB without Jimmy Johnson! Barry was also elated, just for different reasons.

But it wasn't over, or good enough, for Jerry, for several reasons. One, soon after SB XXX, people began to say it was Jimmy's players (and coaches) that won it. So, once again, Jerry had to share credit. Two, as we all know, Jerry loves the limelight. Once he won it, it only increased his thirst for more. That's just human nature. How many people become a millionaire and then just stop trying to make money? How many quarterbacks is content when a new contract time arrives, and they become only the second highest paid? Not many. America's Team is taken, what's next ? World's Team? The more the better for Jerry.

No, he desperately wants more SB rings. But it has to one that was constructed as near totally as possible by, with not one iota of credit going to anybody but, Jerry Jones. Jerry would do most anything to win another SB. But it has to be on his own terms.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Most fans would be sad if Jerry were gone
:lmao:

So most fans aren't fans, they don't care if the Cowboys win SB(s), they only exist to complain about Jerry?

I sure hope you're being sarcastic.

But if not, just to let you know I'll be the happiest man on Earth the day Jerry Jones is no longer running the Dallas Cowboys....

doomsday808

Reaction score

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
Yes, it is set up so that they have no fear of losing their jobs.
If anyone on this board attends press conferences, I'd like you to ask SJ these questions,
"For a football team, what is a successful season?" - I think the natural answer would be win a Championship.
"Do you ever fear losing your job if you don't deliver those successes?"

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Rockport agrees with you, you know that you’ve lost the argument.

There isn’t a better barometer in the world…

:laugh:
Totally get it!

It's true to a certain extent. But...You have to look at what rocko THINKS you said, not what you actually said and meant.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yes the jones have a lot to do with whats happened to the cowboys for me its really almost past of the point of caring a lot about what happens but the players also have a lot of blame in the game as well
I just think the things we blame the players for could be overcome if the front office completed the job putting the team together.

Let's take the 49ers as an example. Where would they be if they had not been willing to spend on acquiring McCaffrey? How good would they be if they had not grabbed Hargrave or had not acquired Trent Williams or Charvarius Ward?

We have a lot of talent, but as they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link The 49ers have aggressively tried to fix their weakest links, which helps you make up for those blame things. I felt for years that Romo got a lot of blame that he did not deserve because he had to play perfect at times in order for the team to win, there was no room for mistakes. We've got the same problem now with teams that are on a similar level as us. The way you overcome that is by getting more talented. While coaching is definitely important, most coaches will tell you that talent is more important than coaching.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
why do you even watch this crap if the players can't be held accountable. "well jerry signed the loser prescott, so don't complain about the loser. Jerry hired fat mike don't complain about him and pin head quinn".

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
Stephen looks like a 65 year old fat kid.

He looks like he should be in special Ed classes.

And HE IS GOING to be the owner soon!!!!! A fat, spoiled, IDIOT, not fit to run a grocery store much less an NFL franchise.

Under Jerruh, the snake oil Salesman, people love to hate us and watch us fail, because Jerruh is an egomaniac, narcissistic oil tycoon squeezing fans for money just like he squeezed oil out of the ground...and doing anything he can to get the world to watch HIM, and give HIM credit.

Under STEPHEN, the clueless buffoon, people will stop hating us, and start pitying us.

Corky from "Life Goes On" will be our owner.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Whatever Jimmy could do back then is probably no longer an option. Jerry has years of "experience" now and I'd be shocked if he wasn't more set in his ways. If I had to guess, whatever flexibility was once there is likely gone. Although they sell this thing as a cumulative effort or meeting of minds, we keep doing the exact same thing. If nothing is changing you can only look at the one constant voice.
That's probably true. And I do think Jerry has learned over the years. Before Parcells, he didn't really value the draft. In fact, for years, he just gave a buddy (Larry Lacewell) control of it and then threw money around in free agency. Then, Parcells helped finally get focused in on the draft and he and his son decided free agency wasn't paying off and went cheap with it. I was kind of hoping that hiring a Super Bowl-winning coach in McCarthy would cause the Joneses to try to achieve a better balance of using good drafting, trades, cheap FAs and a few high-caliber FAs, but it has not done that ... probably because like you said, any flexibility is gone. They think they know best, so they stick with what they are doing even though it has not worked.

Reactions: CWR