Some people need to stop this Troy wasn't elite take

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You have some boneheads that don’t think any of the Cowboys QBs were any good. I’ve seen fans here point to Staubach and Aikman‘s career numbers as the reason they weren’t any good. :rolleyes:
I think it's because they don't understand that winning Super Bowls takes a team, no matter how talented the QB is. But if you have a talented QB, like Staubach and Aikman, then it enhances your chances of winning them. They see a top-notch offensive line, a top running game, a top defense and assume for some reason that any QB could win with those.

GMO415

Reaction score
What makes you believe Romo and Dak during the Cowboys 3 SBs in 4 years run could have top Aikman’s playoff performance?

10 wins 1 loss. 3 SBs. 1 SB MVP.

Passer rating of 106.3 with 2,915 yards, 21 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.

Passer rating of 111.9 in Super Bowls.
After reading both of Jimmy's books, Jimmy Johnson wouldn't even draft nor sign Romo. Jimmy wouldn't put up with all those INTs. Now, Dak's something different. I think Jimmy would draft Dak as a backup because he brought an SEC team to the #1 CFB team in the nation. I would love to hear if from Jimmy's mouth, but he's too classy to say such things in public.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The "Troy isn't good" thing goes back to the 90's. There was also a lot of "Emmitt is a product of his line and he has nothing on Sanders or Thomas" that I got thrown in my face until Super Bowl XXVII, and a few holdouts till XXVIII.

I was always amused by how much I was ragged on for being a Cowboys fan in the early 90's by those that kept on about how the Cowboys hadn't won anything in forever, and we lost 3 Championships in a row, and we'd keep doing the same thing over and over, choking. I was in High School, out f Dallas for just a few years and even my Science teacher at the time kept telling me "You all will do ok in the regular season but you can't get past 'Washington' or the Eagles, you all won't get out of the playoffs".

A few years later the same people that were hammering me about Troy sucking and Emmitt being average were wearing Cowboys jerseys and saying they knew all along.
The Cowboys of the 90's had a complimentary football team. They all benefited from each other. There was nothing you could do to stop the offense, they were too balanced. And if the offense had a bad game, it did not really matter much because the defense was strong and balanced as well.

Again this was all prior to the salary cap. So it is a much more difficult puzzle to put together.

GMO415

Reaction score
The "Troy isn't good" thing goes back to the 90's. There was also a lot of "Emmitt is a product of his line and he has nothing on Sanders or Thomas" that I got thrown in my face until Super Bowl XXVII, and a few holdouts till XXVIII.

I was always amused by how much I was ragged on for being a Cowboys fan in the early 90's by those that kept on about how the Cowboys hadn't won anything in forever, and we lost 3 Championships in a row, and we'd keep doing the same thing over and over, choking. I was in High School, out f Dallas for just a few years and even my Science teacher at the time kept telling me "You all will do ok in the regular season but you can't get past 'Washington' or the Eagles, you all won't get out of the playoffs".

A few years later the same people that were hammering me about Troy sucking and Emmitt being average were wearing Cowboys jerseys and saying they knew all along.
Those clowns were posers. Do people still use that word? Hahaha

GMO415

Reaction score
The Cowboys of the 90's had a complimentary football team. They all benefited from each other. There was nothing you could do to stop the offense, they were too balanced. And if the offense had a bad game, it did not really matter much because the defense was strong and balanced as well.

Again this was all prior to the salary cap. So it is a much more difficult puzzle to put together.
I'd put that 92 team up against any SB team including all of the Brady teams and the 85 Bears and that 92 team would probably win.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'd put that 92 team up against any SB team including all of the Brady teams and the 85 Bears and that 92 team would probably win.
Exactly my point.(key word TEAM). It is not a dig on Aikman, but trying to hold Romo to that same standard is ridiculous.

Legend

Reaction score
Exactly my point.(key word TEAM). It is not a dig on Aikman, but trying to hold Romo to that same standard is ridiculous.
The 1992 13-3 Dallas Cowboys defeated the 14-2 San Francisco 49ers in Candlestick Park in the NFC Championship game.

The 2007 13-3 Dallas Cowboys (with 13 pro bowlers) lost to the Wild Card Giants.

Romo on a stacked team did not result in postseason success.

coult44

Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
I like it, but I’ve never seen anyone say it. Not lately for sure.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score

I agree. I was there.

People in the 90's didn't see it that way. I was there, all they wanted to do was rag on the Cowboys cause they hadn't won anything since the 70's and Danny White, to them, sucked.

BHendri5

Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
I’m one and he wasn’t elite, he did more handing the ball to Emmitt than passing.
So he was elite at giving the ball to rb, ? I will definitely give him that, he was accurate throwing the ball to a spot, where the receivers were supposed to be, he didn’t make receivers a household name, he was a good leader, manager of the game

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Yes. His name is Emmitt Smith. You may have heard of him. The All Time Leading Rusher.
Nah, that can't be. I've been told that Emmitt isn't even top 10 and benefited from the team around him, just like Aikman. Emmitt couldn't possibly have helped.

It's a mystery how those 90s Cowboys teams were so darn good because everyone benefitted from the team around them so nobody can take any credit. It was a miracle! Worst talented team to ever win 3 SBs in 4 years.

Some say it was all the Greatest Oline EVAR, but they didn't play defense, nor did any of them from the first two SBs make it to the HoF.

It's just this unsolvable enigma as to why this team won so much with crappy, inferior to Romo era players who won jack crap.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I’m one and he wasn’t elite, he did more handing the ball to Emmitt than passing.
So he was elite at giving the ball to rb, ? I will definitely give him that, he was accurate throwing the ball to a spot, where the receivers were supposed to be, he didn’t make receivers a household name, he was a good leader, manager of the game
Again, it can't be Emmitt. We've been told for decades that he was over rated, not the GOAT or in the top 10, and only benefited from the team around him.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If you really want to know how valuable Aikmen was and how much of a "bus driver" he was go watch the Barry Switzer documentary where Aikmen pretty much coached the team to a Super Bowl win. He drove that bus to a Super Bowl with no head coach.
It's not hyperbole to suggest Aikman was Coach of the Year from the huddle in 1995.