Something is a foot at WR

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
With the recent news that Dallas tried to sign Sammy Watkins..

and failed..

WR obviously is a top priority for us.

This is a clear intimation DEZ is going to be cut.

What do you guys think?
Be happy Jerry missed on Watkins......Drops Bryant will stay....just hope Jerry doen't extend him since he failed at doing a paycut.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not true...
But we don’t even know if we entertained a deal at all..it’s all speculation coming from 1persons a Tweet..now suddenly it’s a fact because some want it to be.

We very likely were thinking Watkins was in the reasonable range and we could have him signed to give us leverage to ask Dez to take a pay cut...it’s not like they are even similar type of WRs.

If they could have added speed in Watkins for 8 million per and asked Dez to take a cut by a few million then the cost to put speed on the other side of the field with Dez isn’t that much..

None of us know really..we can’t.

You are right that no one KNOWS for sure. But Watkins was not a dumpster diving move. It was a first day free agent attempted signing. They are never cheap.

So we can infer that although the Cowboys got outbid they made a significant move. If they actually did that (and it's not just a rumor) then it's almost certain they were willing to move on from Dez if we signed Watkins.

You may not like what it indicates, but it hard to ignore that we were probably ready to cut Dez. That is a departure from years past.!!

Rayman70

Reaction score
You don't leak a story like this unless you wanna get it out. Dez is on borrowed time. I think the decision has been made in house already.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Raiders are suppose to be cutting Crabtree. While I want a WR in the draft I hate that it will force our hands between that and LB's.
Crabtree is a Texas boy...solid receiver...now THATS a player I could see playing here. He runs good routes and has good hands.The antiDez.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You are right that no one KNOWS for sure. But Watkins was not a dumpster diving move. It was a first day free agent attempted signing. They are never cheap.

So we can infer that although the Cowboys got outbid they made a significant move. If they actually did that (and it's not just a rumor) then it's almost certain they were willing to move on from Dez if we signed Watkins.

You may not like what it indicates, but it hard to ignore that we were probably ready to cut Dez. That is a departure from years past.!!
yep...just like Jordy Nelson..you cant keep them all under the cap.

Proof

Reaction score

i honestly think his take is the most likely. or a mixture of the two. i honestly don't think they'd have any qualms moving on from dez for all of the obvious reasons, but that cap hit is much harder to swallow than hoping he turns it around. so i feel like they either hoped to get sammy on a reasonable deal and ask dez to take a pay cut, or they hoped to get him on a semi reasonable deal and plan on cutting dez next year. when the price tag came back they realized none of that was reasonable. when the other deals started rolling in, they realized even further they don't really have much choice.

i don't think for a second they were truly considering eating dez dead money this year to replace him with a guy who barely sniffs what he's done in his decline lol.

SJ tiring of antics or not, that's not good business

Aven8

Reaction score
He's a good ball player and team mate. I live in Texas and seen a bunch of his games... Would be a fine addition.

He totally outplayed Dez as well for two straight seasons in college. I remember watching the Tech Okie St game and Dez gave up. I remember laughing at how pathetic he was.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He totally outplayed Dez as well for two straight seasons in college. I remember watching the Tech Okie St game and Dez gave up. I remember laughing at how pathetic he was.
Some things never change. Dez gets flustered...always has...and it affects his play. Great talent but ten cent mind on the field. I never question his work ethic or his desire to win...I question whether or not he's willing to do what it takes to win. Big BIG difference.In big moments..he vanishes,except for 2014...his best year IMO.....and he has been declining ever since.Time to move on.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
We are stuck with Dez. Hopefully Zeke opens it up for him and he had a better year. I don't like Dez but he is a Cowboy so I will cheer for him

Verdict

Reaction score
i honestly think his take is the most likely. or a mixture of the two. i honestly don't think they'd have any qualms moving on from dez for all of the obvious reasons, but that cap hit is much harder to swallow than hoping he turns it around. so i feel like they either hoped to get sammy on a reasonable deal and ask dez to take a pay cut, or they hoped to get him on a semi reasonable deal and plan on cutting dez next year. when the price tag came back they realized none of that was reasonable. when the other deals started rolling in, they realized even further they don't really have much choice.

i don't think for a second they were truly considering eating dez dead money this year to replace him with a guy who barely sniffs what he's done in his decline lol.

SJ tiring of antics or not, that's not good business

Getting rid of a non performing asset that is costing you money is always good business.

Verdict

Reaction score
So why no cut yet?

I have already explained that in other posts, but the short answer is that 1. It makes sense to mask the Cowboys intentions in the draft about how high of a draft pick they might want to use on a WR in the draft. 2. There is not really a benefit to cutting him today or tomorrow or whatever other than the cap room availability. So today or post draft there isn't any cap impact difference. 3. It keeps their options open. 4 (new possibility). Someone might actually give us something for him as time goes on.