Something is a foot at WR

iamliko22

Reaction score
You don't cut a guy like that...not until you lock up his replacement. Once that happens he will be cut or traded.

A guy like what?

Miami just cut suh, so if dallas doesn't want him why is he still on team. Thats all im asking.

Proof

Reaction score
Getting rid of a non performing asset that is costing you money is always good business.

He’s not non performing, he’s underperforming. That’s certainly problematic, but not to the extent that you throw money away to get rid of him. You certainly don’t do that only to pay the same or more (on top of what you paid to get rid of him) for s similarly performing player at their best thus far. Definitely bad business and your hatred is clouding your judgement.

Proof

Reaction score
I have already explained that in other posts, but the short answer is that 1. It makes sense to mask the Cowboys intentions in the draft about how high of a draft pick they might want to use on a WR in the draft. 2. There is not really a benefit to cutting him today or tomorrow or whatever other than the cap room availability. So today or post draft there isn't any cap impact difference. 3. It keeps their options open. 4 (new possibility). Someone might actually give us something for him as time goes on.

Lol. Their options slammed shut when the market was set. I’m sure it is disappointing but the sooner you embrace it, the easier it will be.

Verdict

Reaction score
Lol. Their options slammed shut when the market was set. I’m sure it is disappointing but the sooner you embrace it, the easier it will be.

Keep saying it. Just don't ask me to pull you off the ledge when they cut Dez.

Verdict

Reaction score
He’s not non performing, he’s underperforming. That’s certainly problematic, but not to the extent that you throw money away to get rid of him. You certainly don’t do that only to pay the same or more (on top of what you paid to get rid of him) for s similarly performing player at their best thus far. Definitely bad business and your hatred is clouding your judgement.

It doesn't cost the team any new money to cut him. Your rose colored glasses are blinding you to the truth. It's ok. When Dez gets cut it will only hurt for a little while. Don't do anything rash!

Proof

Reaction score
It doesn't cost the team any new money to cut him. Your rose colored glasses are blinding you to the truth. It's ok. When Dez gets cut it will only hurt for a little while. Don't do anything rash!

Definitely not rose colored. I’m certainly and admitted Dez fan, but the writings on the wall and he got himself in this position. I tend to skew to the side that believes he can return to form, but I’m not banking on it, or believing the team is either. The fact still remains though it makes more sense to keep him (at least til next year) than it does to dump him. Doubly so since the market went full ******

Verdict

Reaction score
Definitely not rose colored. I’m certainly and admitted Dez fan, but the writings on the wall and he got himself in this position. I tend to skew to the side that believes he can return to form, but I’m not banking on it, or believing the team is either. The fact still remains though it makes more sense to keep him (at least til next year) than it does to dump him. Doubly so since the market went full ******

It is an inexact science for sure.

superonyx

Reaction score
You are right that no one KNOWS for sure. But Watkins was not a dumpster diving move. It was a first day free agent attempted signing. They are never cheap.

So we can infer that although the Cowboys got outbid they made a significant move. If they actually did that (and it's not just a rumor) then it's almost certain they were willing to move on from Dez if we signed Watkins.

You may not like what it indicates, but it hard to ignore that we were probably ready to cut Dez. That is a departure from years past.!!
We disagree. I don’t believe this team would really go into the season with Sammy Watkins and Terrence Williams as your #1 and #2. Sammy is a complimentary WR. Now if you told me they inquired about Julio Jones or even Jarvis Landry then I would think maybe they were serious. But Sammy Watkins is a 40 catch guy. He is nice speed guy who gives you another weapon. Not a primary weapon.

And let’s be real here...it is just a rumor. Even if Jerry Jones himself verified this speculative tweet it would not tell you how much they were willing to pay and what if anything this meant for Dez.

It’s all speculation from a media base that will continue to try to back into a conclusion they already wrote months ago.

Wait until after we draft a WR in round 1, 2, or 3...you will see writers continue this same narrative about how Dez is in trouble in Dallas because we drafted a WR. It’s ignoring the reality that we have a depth and talent need at WR even with Dez.

Verdict

Reaction score
We disagree. I don’t believe this team would really go into the season with Sammy Watkins and Terrence Williams as your #1 and #2. Sammy is a complimentary WR. Now if you told me they inquired about Julio Jones or even Jarvis Landry then I would think maybe they were serious. But Sammy Watkins is a 40 catch guy. He is nice speed guy who gives you another weapon. Not a primary weapon.

And let’s be real here...it is just a rumor. Even if Jerry Jones himself verified this speculative tweet it would not tell you how much they were willing to pay and what if anything this meant for Dez.

It’s all speculation from a media base that will continue to try to back into a conclusion they already wrote months ago.

Wait until after we draft a WR in round 1, 2, or 3...you will see writers continue this same narrative about how Dez is in trouble in Dallas because we drafted a WR. It’s ignoring the reality that we have a depth and talent need at WR even with Dez.

We surely do disagree. The team would be hard pressed to have Watkins and Dez on the team with their salaries. It is very, very unlikely especially with Lawrence on the franchise tag.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
With the recent news that Dallas tried to sign Sammy Watkins..

and failed..

WR obviously is a top priority for us.

This is a clear intimation DEZ is going to be cut.

What do you guys think?

How about they get a legit #2 besides that fraud Terrence Williams? I think that is a more legit question...:rolleyes:

superonyx

Reaction score
We surely do disagree. The team would be hard pressed to have Watkins and Dez on the team with their salaries. It is very, very unlikely especially with Lawrence on the franchise tag.
Now you are making this statement about Watkins at a salary we were clearly not ever going to pay.
I see nothing about Watkins that makes me think we would ever think he would be getting more than 7-8M per year...if that...this is a guy coming of a high powered offense who is letting him walk and only produced 39 catches..he is the WR equivalent of Sam Bradford. A guy who has teams have given so much for and has never produced...this isn’t a #1 WR we are talking about.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't see how we could realistically cut him now.

Same here, which is good I guess for continuity. Plus, I think it still opens the door for us to draft a WR mid round. That would give us a WR that can learn from Dez and eventually replace him while learning from Dez what it takes to be a physical wideout.

kevm3

Reaction score
If we want to get rid of Dez, why don't we TRADE him instead of cutting him for no value?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would be more inclined to believe they are going to use a draft pick for a WR. They could drop Butler and cut Dez next year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
you left out the leftside of the oline.

Yeah, I do, because I don't think the players were the problem.

Green was a perfectly fine swing tackle until we tried to turn him into a LG. If we had left Green as the swing tackle, let Cooper and Looney fight it out at LG, and let Bell compete at both spots, we would have been fine. Cooper starts at LG, and Green is the swing. We would have been in good shape all year.

We would have had stronger play at LG all year, and a competent swing T when Smith went out.

Obviously those guys aren't as strong as the rest of the oline, but they wouldn't have under performed their costs or what we needed. Cooper in particular was a good deal for us, even though not properly or fully utilized. I'm not going to put it on them, even though obviously if they're just better then we do better.

hammer1

Reaction score
IMO Dez is no longer a #1 WR... as far as his performance is concerned. Besides... we could use the cap space.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Yeah, I do, because I don't think the players were the problem.

Green was a perfectly fine swing tackle until we tried to turn him into a LG. If we had left Green as the swing tackle, let Cooper and Looney fight it out at LG, and let Bell compete at both spots, we would have been fine. Cooper starts at LG, and Green is the swing. We would have been in good shape all year.

We would have had stronger play at LG all year, and a competent swing T when Smith went out.

Obviously those guys aren't as strong as the rest of the oline, but they wouldn't have under performed their costs or what we needed. Cooper in particular was a good deal for us, even though not properly or fully utilized. I'm not going to put it on them, even though obviously if they're just better then we do better.

I understand what you're saying, but to be honest, I never want to see Green at tackle again.