Speculation: Cowboys Front runners for Lamar Miller

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Just an offseason removed from letting a 26 year old NFL offensive player of the year walk because we didn't want to pay him 7 mil a year due to getting close to over the hill and our offensive line can turn any back into a star.

This offseason, SIGN THE 25 YEAR OLD MILLER WHO WANTS 6 MIL A YEAR BECAUSE HES A STUD!!

This is a prime example of the yearly fluctuation of organizational direction and philosophy that has us swimming in the toilet for 20 years.

well comparing the two miller is the better back imo and he is not injury prone and by your math the team would save a million and get younger at the position

Reaction score
Is that a fact?

And let's say it is true. The guy just ran for 1800 yards. I get it. But with Miller....he's had 1k yards ONCE and he barely made it over. I'm not saying he's not a great back but why are people coveting him like he is?

Most people see Miller as underutilized in Miami. Many think that if you gave him the ball 350-400 times behind this O-line he can get you 1,500 yards, give or take.

That's the thought process. Is it true? Don't know. But many are convinced it is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that a fact?

Yeah, widely reported by folks whose job it is to cover the Cowboys.

And let's say it is true. The guy just ran for 1800 yards. I get it. But with Miller....he's had 1k yards ONCE and he barely made it over. I'm not saying he's not a great back but why are people coveting him like he is?

Take a good look at his career. He's gotten bigger, stronger, and more well-rounded since he's entered the league. He hasn't gotten a lot of carries, which lowers the wear and tear of a typical free agent running back. But he has been highly productive with the carries he has gotten.

At just 24 years old, he's a few months older than several of the rookies entering the league this year!

He breaks the mold of the typical free agent running back.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Just an offseason removed from letting a 26 year old NFL offensive player of the year walk because we didn't want to pay him 7 mil a year due to getting close to over the hill and our offensive line can turn any back into a star.

This offseason, SIGN THE 25 YEAR OLD MILLER WHO WANTS 6 MIL A YEAR BECAUSE HES A STUD!!

This is a prime example of the yearly fluctuation of organizational direction and philosophy that has us swimming in the toilet for 20 years.

what he wants and what the Cowboys offer him are two very different things. So why not stop proactively complaining?

superonyx

Reaction score
It was hard to find carries with Csonka, Kiick, and Mercury Morris already on the roster?

The absolute worst way to build a franchise is to sign free agents, i.e. overpay mediocre players like they are good, good players like they are great. The Cowboys need to get to a point in the draft, where they have 2-3 holes. Every year they go into a draft with 8-9 holes on the roster. Its a never ending cycle with this GM, Front Office.

Don't tell John Elway or the Broncos fans that free agency is the worst. No one said build a roster....but plugging holes is needed. Especially when some of your holes were created in free agency (Demarco Murray).
You cant just let people walk all the time and never sign anyone in free agency. You will run out of player my man.

Sydla

Reaction score
The lovefest for Lamar Miller must have something to do with fantasy football. Like they want to draft him on their team or something because I don't understand the lovefest of overpaying for a running back in free agency when we just let Demarco go. Granted, he's 3 years younger than Demarco but he's still a running back.

That's a pretty big reason that you want to just shove aside.

The big reason the Cowboys had a firm line in the sand with Murray was because they knew the stats and they knew the trends for TBs that had the usage that Murray had and where RB careers tend to go at Murray's age.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Don't tell John Elway or the Broncos fans that free agency is the worst. No one said build a roster....but plugging holes is needed. Especially when some of your holes were created in free agency (Demarco Murray).
You cant just let people walk all the time and never sign anyone in free agency. You will run out of player my man.

I'll give you the Broncos. The Steelers, Pats, and Ravens consistently let players walk in FA, continually recoup picks via compensatory selections, and regulaly win the last 12-15 years.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Elliot is such a great fit for your Dallas Cowboys, it's like a match made in football heaven. Though, at the right price which is key, the upgrade to Miller is there.

Sydla

Reaction score

If you are going to be consistent in citing age, Miller is 24 right now, not 25. He will be 25 when the 2016 season starts. However, Murray would have been 27 when his new deal kicked in during the 2015 season, not 26. I think you played a little loose with the ages there. Miller is 3 years younger than Murray. That can be a big difference for a TB, especially when the one at age 27 is viewed by some as having been abused in 2014 with the number of carries he had.

superonyx

Reaction score
I'll give you the Broncos. The Steelers, Pats, and Ravens consistently let players walk in FA, continually recoup picks via compensatory selections, and regulaly win the last 12-15 years.

What was our compensatory pick we got for Demarco Murray? I believe it was a 4th. The last pick in the 4th round for the AP Offensive player of the year, MVP finalist, 1st team All Pro, Franchise Leader single season rusher ect.....
That's not a strategy for long term success. You cant trade your all pro players for compensatory draft picks and marry that as a strategy.

I'm not a big free agency guy myself. But on a limited basis its not so bad to fill a hole in free agency.

Sydla

Reaction score
What was our compensatory pick we got for Demarco Murray? I believe it was a 4th. The last pick in the 4th round for the AP Offensive player of the year, MVP finalist, 1st team All Pro, Franchise Leader single season rusher ect.....
That's not a strategy for long term success. You cant trade your all pro players for compensatory draft picks and marry that as a strategy.

I'm not a big free agency guy myself. But on a limited basis its not so bad to fill a hole in free agency.

People need to stop with this "he was an all-pro, AP Offensive player of the year" stuff. You aren't making contract decisions solely on what a player has done, you make contract decisions on what you also think he'll do going forward. The Cowboys had concerns he could produce at the same level given his age and usage. It appears they got it right because Murray looked slow and dinged up in Philly even before the season started for them. There were reports in training camps that he didn't look the same.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, widely reported by folks whose job it is to cover the Cowboys.

Take a good look at his career. He's gotten bigger, stronger, and more well-rounded since he's entered the league. He hasn't gotten a lot of carries, which lowers the wear and tear of a typical free agent running back. But he has been highly productive with the carries he has gotten.

At just 24 years old, he's a few months older than several of the rookies entering the league this year!

He breaks the mold of the typical free agent running back.

"The Cowboys offered Murray, last year's NFL's leading rusher, a deal that averaged about $5 million a season, Yahoo Sports reported Wednesday."

He doesn't break the mold in the fact that he will be expensive.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The choice isn't between Miller and Zeke in my opinion, it's between Miller and whomever they can get in the 2-4 rounds at RB. It's pretty clear they have a $ and age threshold for the position. If the teams subscribes to the notion that a top 5 pick is someone who you want in your organization for the next 10 years then you'd have to pause at selecting a back at 4 given that you are more then likely not going to give them a 2nd contract unless they are the next coming of AP. Given that I would take Miller.
Now we're talking! Makes a ton of sense.

I'm on board with drafting Booker also.

Aven8

Reaction score
The Texans are in play for both Miller and Brock. They could be SB contenders in one offseason if that happens!