Sporting News ranks the coaches

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes, but again, that's hindsight. My point is that because the stats show icing really doesn't hurt a kicker's chances, it seemed to make more sense to be cautious and call the time out based on the concerns of the assistant coaches than to risk a penalty that would make an already long FG even longer.
You can use whatever excuse you want. At the end of the day it's an excuse and it has never happened in the NFL ever. Before or since.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can use whatever excuse you want. At the end of the day it's an excuse and it has never happened in the NFL ever. Before or since.

You haven't been able to come up with a single thing that refutes the logic behind the decision that had to be made at the time, and are relying entirely on hindsight knowledge. Congratulations, you have clear after the fact vision.

And, it's wrong to say it has never happened, it's just that typically the timeout is called before the ball is snapped and we never see the kick go through the uprights. But it's not at all unheard of that a FG unit will run out on the field and get lined up and then the team calls a timeout after deciding things are too rushed or the play clock is about to run out. The difference in how this case was looked at simply perception, and not reality. Had the timeout been called 1-2 seconds earlier, and we never saw the kick go through the uprights, there wouldn't have been the controversy.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You haven't been able to come up with a single thing that refutes the logic behind the decision that had to be made at the time, and are relying entirely on hindsight knowledge. Congratulations, you have clear after the fact vision.

And, it's wrong to say it has never happened, it's just that typically the timeout is called before the ball is snapped and we never see the kick go through the uprights. But it's not at all unheard of that a FG unit will run out on the field and get lined up and then the team calls a timeout after deciding things are too rushed or the play clock is about to run out. The difference in how this case was looked at simply perception, and not reality. Had the timeout been called 1-2 seconds earlier, and we never saw the kick go through the uprights, there wouldn't have been the controversy.
You can defend it until the end of time. He then should have called the timeout very early if he felt they weren't ready. It was a knee jerk reaction which cost the team a playoff birth. And if his numerous assistants were at fault then it's his fault for hiring them. The 6 P's. Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can defend it until the end of time. He then should have called the timeout very early if he felt they weren't ready. It was a knee jerk reaction which cost the team a playoff birth. And if his numerous assistants were at fault then it's his fault for hiring them. The 6 P's. Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Sorry, but we aren’t going to agree on this. Hindsight knowledge is not the judge of what was logical at the time, and it’s ridiculous to claim that it is.

The coaches thought they saw something he didn’t, icing is a myth so there was no expectation that it would hurt to call the timeout, but with the information he was being given it very definitely would have hurt if he didn’t call the timeout. Accordingly, logic dictated calling the timeout.

What you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge is that doing the right thing does not guarantee the right results. That’s why hindsight is a poor judge.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Find a post from me that says "Garrett is going to the HOF when he quits/fired from coaching." Then come talk to me about backtracking. Until then, see what I said above about me not being responsible for stupid things other people make up and try to pin on me.

It's an even dumber argument you're trying to make here than the one you made that time you thought the Willie Anderson quote in my sig was from a college free agent because you had no idea who Willie Anderson was. Remember how shocked everyone was that you were clueless about that?

Me either. I don't think anyone even blinked.
I have the evidence...
I put it in a secure place.
Let's talk business.

heh heh heh... he'll never know I put it at the Watergate!

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Uh, because there are only eight active coaches with more post-season wins in the last decade?

(Belichek 16, Harbaugh 10, Carroll 9, Payton 7, Tomlin 5, Pederson 4, Quinn and Rivera 3)
Pederson already has 4 post-season wins??? With Napoleon Dynamite at QB? Damn.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
What teams are those? Posters of other NFC east teams love the fact that Garrett is our coach. They know how bad he is.

You are fooling yourself if any other team would hire Garrett once he is done here in Dallas.
Only coach in our division I'd take over Garrett is Pederson after seeing what he's done in three years. I'm not a Garrett fanboy but he's not as bad as people make him out to be. 12 seems about right in today's NFL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One small detail missing here is Garrett isn’t in charge of hiring his assistants.

The icing of the kicker is squarely on Garrett but of course if he makes the kick, its a mute point. Always easy playing Monday Morning QB.

I’m not sure I’d place missing the playoffs on this gaff though? That’s running the rest of the season assuming nothing else changes. That wasn’t the final game of the season.

Interestingly though, I haven’t seen any discussion on Romo’s part as he appeared indecisive in this sequence also.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One small detail missing here is Garrett isn’t in charge of hiring his assistants.

The icing of the kicker is squarely on Garrett but of course if he makes the kick, its a mute point. Always easy playing Monday Morning QB.

I’m not sure I’d place missing the playoffs on this gaff though? That’s running the rest of the season assuming nothing else changes. That wasn’t the final game of the season.

Interestingly though, I haven’t seen any discussion on Romo’s part as he appeared indecisive in this sequence also.
Oops

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Romo and Garrett an era that will live in infamy. Bad breaks, stupid penalties, and poor execution. Sums it up perfectly

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Sorry, but we aren’t going to agree on this. Hindsight knowledge is not the judge of what was logical at the time, and it’s ridiculous to claim that it is.

The coaches thought they saw something he didn’t, icing is a myth so there was no expectation that it would hurt to call the timeout, but with the information he was being given it very definitely would have hurt if he didn’t call the timeout. Accordingly, logic dictated calling the timeout.

What you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge is that doing the right thing does not guarantee the right results. That’s why hindsight is a poor judge.
Even if he makes it a second time. It's still poor coaching. Calling an unnecessary timeout and making your kicker kick twice.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if he makes it a second time. It's still poor coaching. Calling an unnecessary timeout and making your kicker kick twice.
You love to ignore that there was concern over the players getting set and there being a penalty.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you have hindsight knowledge that they actually did end up getting set. Congratulations, you are proficient at watching a video and telling us after the fact what happened. Unfortunately oaches don’t get that luxury.

I do, however, have no doubt that had Garrett ignored his assistants telling the players weren’t set and the players ended up not getting set prior to the snap, you would be on Garrett for that too. Of course, in that case it would be justified.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You love to ignore that there was concern over the players getting set and there being a penalty.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you have hindsight knowledge that they actually did end up getting set. Congratulations, you are proficient at watching a video and telling us after the fact what happened. Unfortunately oaches don’t get that luxury.

I do, however, have no doubt that had Garrett ignored his assistants telling the players weren’t set and the players ended up not getting set prior to the snap, you would be on Garrett for that too. Of course, in that case it would be justified.
You keep playing the what if game. The players were set correctly and he used an unnecessary timeout. If they weren't set up correctly at the time of the snap and he called the timeout it would have been a good timeout. That's in real time and what actually happened. You sound like my wife with all the what if's.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep playing the what if game. The players were set correctly and he used an unnecessary timeout. If they weren't set up correctly at the time of the snap and he called the timeout it would have been a good timeout. That's in real time and what actually happened. You sound like my wife with all the what if's.

And you love to play the “I’m smart with the benefit of hindsight” game.

But the coaches can’t do that. Coaches have to play the what if game because that’s the only way to deal with an anticipated problem. They can’t plan for contingencies after the fact, and they can’t go back in time and do something to erase a penalty after it’s occurred. So if they think there is a potential problem they have to try and circumvent it.

Apparently your preference is for the coaches to ignore potential problems and cross their fingers and hope for the best. Of course, until it goes wrong, then your hindsight vision would tell you to go the other way.

Again, what are the risks of calling a time out or not. If they call the time out they “ice” the kicker, but stats have proven “icing” has no effect. So, statistically there is no consequence. And if they don’t call timeout they risk a penalty, which if it occurs there is a definite consequence.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Here are the top 20 edited trivia out. This is a flawed ranking, bruce arians is too low, and andy reid is too high along with JG who is ranked above
2 coaches that have won nfc conf championships ! lol yeah garrett is better than those clowns lol. pederson is below mcvay, and pederson beat NE in SB
and laid a lot of points on them in the win, mcvay could score at all and lost, but he is better?
I think maybe this is base on what they did last year alone, and even then it does not make sense, JG should be above pete if that were the case.

Bill Belichick, Patriots
Sean McVay, Rams
Sean Payton, Saints
Andy Reid, Chiefs
Pete Carroll, Seahawks
John Harbaugh, Ravens
Doug Pederson, Eagles
Mike Tomlin, Steelers
Anthony Lynn, Chargers
Frank Reich, Colts
Matt Nagy, Bears
Jason Garrett, Cowboys
Mike Zimmer, Vikings
Dan Quinn, Falcons
Bruce Arians, Buccaneers
Ron Rivera, Panthers
Bill O'Brien, Texans
Kyle Shanahan, 49ers
Mike Vrabel, Titans
Freddie Kitchens, Browns

DandyDon52

Reaction score

it is up to the HC to make sure his team is prepared for various scenarios, and doing a end of game FG is something every team should practice and be good at.
it was obvious, that dallas was not properly prepared to do that kick , hence the clock almost running out and the TO which JG called , but he had not been
paying attention, he was looking at his play sheet instead of the game!! That was incredibly dumb, make the kick and you dont need the play sheet. lol

When JG was OC, he was awful in game mgmt, because he was so into that playsheet, and what to call next. he still carries one around in his pants lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The “ icing the kicker” debacle simply provides those bashing Garrett some ammo to support their narrative much like those who bashed Romo his career for the “fumbling bumbling” in Seattle.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The “ icing the kicker” debacle simply provides those bashing Garrett some ammo to support their narrative much like those who bashed Romo his career for the “fumbling bumbling” in Seattle.
I mean it was his job to hold the snap and he botched it at the most in opportune time. Who should be blamed for it?