Sporting News ranks the coaches

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don't know that Garrett did blame people beneath him. This was a poster on this site setting out the situation. And while it's true that Garrett has the responsibility, he also has to be able to trust his assistants. If he can't they are of no use. And we can't pretend there was all the time in the world for Garrett to hear what the assistants were yelling survey the whole situation, and then make the decision. The play clock doesn't stop to let a coach do that, and the concern about getting set was only there because the clock was winding down.
Yet they were set correctly. So.............

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet they were set correctly. So.............

Which doesn't change what I said. Decisions are always easier with hindsight, aren't they?

The decision at the time was to be safe and call the time out, in which case the Cowboys would have exactly the same opportunity to kick the FG as they did without calling a timeout, or risk a penalty and push the kick back 5 yards, making it a 54 yard kick instead of a 49 yard kick.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Which doesn't change what I said. Decisions are always easier in hindsight, aren't they?

The decision at the time was to be safe and call the time out, in which case the Cowboys would have exactly the same opportunity to kick the FG as they did without calling a timeout, or risk a penalty and push the kick back 5 yards, making it a 54 yard kick instead of a 49 yard kick.
Or if you were a good coach not done anything because you were set and ready to go. And knew as such

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or if you were a good coach not done anything because you were set and ready to go. And knew as such

So, it's your contention that Bill Bellichick, Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and any other top coach in history you can name never made a decision based on information from an assistant coach …

Well, alrighty then!

ESisback

Reaction score
at the end of the day it's his responsibility to know and make the right call regardless if god came down and told him they weren't ready. A wise man once told me "never blame people beneath you, because if they had your ability they would be in your shoes".

Wise man was right, although there’s also truth to the notion:
1)Delegation works
2)Trust your assistants
3)Icing the kicker is overblown. A highly paid PROFESSIONAL kicker shouldn’t be bothered by a last minute timeout, unless he’s a nervous rookie or in a bad slump.

ESisback

Reaction score
So, it's your contention that Bill Bellichick, Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and any other top coach in history you can name never made a decision based on information from an assistant coach …

Well, alrighty then!

No, it’s a convenient crutch/excuse that “validates” his viewpoint!

dfense

Reaction score
Want to talk about a trash can roster. And campo was awful. I believe zimmer was here when we won super bowls.
Well, so was Campo. Zimmer, hired in 94,worked under him on the defense when Campo was DC. Campo had some good years as DC, top 5 in points twice. Zimmer took over in 2000 and the defense went from 5th in points and 9th in yards to 23rd. Duce Staley on opening day 200 yards rushing. 3 weeks later, Charlie Garner SF 201 yards. Week 14, Warrick Dunn 210 yards. So I was wrong in my initial post. He allowed 3 200 yard rushers.

It took a few years but Zimmer got the defense back in the top 5 in 2003 under Parcells. But then tanked again the following year and until he left was never a top 10 defense again. He's a classic JAG.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wise man was right, although there’s also truth to the notion:
1)Delegation works
2)Trust your assistants
3)Icing the kicker is overblown. A highly paid PROFESSIONAL kicker shouldn’t be bothered by a last minute timeout, unless he’s a nervous rookie or in a bad slump.

Statistics actually don't bear out the notion that icing works anyway.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Want to talk about a trash can roster. And campo was awful. I believe zimmer was here when we won super bowls.

Zimmer was a DB coach in Dallas for the last Super Bowl win. He was coaching in college before that.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Well, so was Campo. Zimmer, hired in 94,worked under him on the defense when Campo was DC. Campo had some good years as DC, top 5 in points twice. Zimmer took over in 2000 and the defense went from 5th in points and 9th in yards to 23rd. Duce Staley on opening day 200 yards rushing. 3 weeks later, Charlie Garner SF 201 yards. Week 14, Warrick Dunn 210 yards. So I was wrong in my initial post. He allowed 3 200 yard rushers.

It took a few years but Zimmer got the defense back in the top 5 in 2003 under Parcells. But then tanked again the following year and until he left was never a top 10 defense again. He's a classic JAG.
Whatever ppl say about zimmer doesn't matter he got the team of a nfc championship game with Case Keenum at the helm. He's better than garrett and it's not close

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Well, alrighty then!
come on Omer..... we don't judge all the coaches with the same standards. Garrett gets judged by a different standard, because we need to complain about him and make him to be bad, awful, worst ever, blah blah blah..

other coaches...no, different measure and standards...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree the stats show it doesn't have a high % to work. But it did that day.

Yes, but again, that's hindsight. My point is that because the stats show icing really doesn't hurt a kicker's chances, it seemed to make more sense to be cautious and call the time out based on the concerns of the assistant coaches than to risk a penalty that would make an already long FG even longer.