Sporting News ranks the coaches

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Face it: Garrett is going to be ranked between No. 12 and No. 15 until the end of time."

Have truer words ever been spoken?
:laugh:

Some discuss Garrett as if he is the worst coach in the NFL, but I think this is a pretty fair ranking. Somewhat above average, but considerably below the best.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Payton, Harbough, or Zimmer for me. Even better if zimmer got blown out and we could convince him to be our DC and have payton be HC. problem is they worked for this organization and know its a crap show
Harbaugh is just as bad as JG, took over a talented team but let the vets like Lewis and Reed walk all over him. Talent on the team dropped off so did his winning percentage.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some discuss Garrett as if he is the worst coach in the NFL, but I think this is a pretty fair ranking. Somewhat above average, but considerably below the best.

He's not the worst. I think this assessment is pretty acccurate.

He needs to do better if he hopes to stick around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harbaugh is just as bad as JG, took over a talented team but let the vets like Lewis and Reed walk all over him. Talent on the team dropped off so did his winning percentage.

He might mean the other Harbaugh.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t have low standards. I just feel it’s childish and a waste of time crying about things I have no control over. By the way, clapping has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Good for you. I prefer to laugh at Garrett and those that support him. After all, it is funny to listen to some of these types try to defend the horrid Garrett.

Most of the forum has given up on Garrett. They finally get it. So really there is no need to hammer it home as much anymore.

The only time I feel the need to bash Garrett is when some laughable homer comes out and defends him.

Garrett is more of a running joke at this point.

He just looks really stupid when clapping after a turnover or a 3 and out.

Garrett is a cheerleader, nothing more.

Dre11

Reaction score
When? Seattle has proven they can win. That coach has a Championship and earned the benefit of the doubt. You don't see a difference between that and the usual Garrett choke job? lol Both been with their teams since 2010. One went to 2 super Bowls, and the other has done absolutely nothing.

And one who failed miserably in another situation....lol

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I wouldn’t, if you’ve ever read anything I’ve ever said about the guy that would be pretty obvious.

I would debate a thousand foolish posters who think he’s #32 for reasons they’ve mostly made up and repeated until they believe it’s accurate. That’s what the issue has always been.
And they seem to forget whom he works for...…………. #12, in his environment, is a miracle in itself.

Big_D

Reaction score
And one who failed miserably in another situation....lol

Lets just continue to compare Garrett to coaches who have actually done something and pretend he's just as good. You seem to downplay real coaching experience. Carroll started coaching in 1973, but that means nothing here. So far every situation Garretts been in he failed miserably. That's his resume right now. Carroll - 2 time national champ and a super bowl champ and his other coaching stop was 4 years combined between the jets and NE. lol

Dre11

Reaction score
Lets just continue to compare Garrett to coaches who have actually done something and pretend he's just as good. You seem to downplay real coaching experience. Carroll started coaching in 1973, but that means nothing here. So far every situation Garretts been in he failed miserably. That's his resume right now. Carroll - 2 time national champ and a super bowl champ and his other coaching stop was 4 years combined between the jets and NE. lol

And I said Garrett busted his a** in the playoffs. Did he not?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Fact is, we could also do better than Garrett too.

He’ll have had 9 years after this coming season so this whole angle where changing coaches would set us back is moronic. He’s had more than enough time to build something. If they don’t make any noise in 2019, how in the world could anyone justify bringing him back?

OK- but according to your article, there are only 11 coaches in the entire league that are better than Garrett. So certainly there is a risk the next coach would not be as good. It would be "moronic" (your word) to not consider that possibility. It's the same logic people apply to Dak. What also has the potential to a step back is bringing in an entire new staff, with a new scheme, new terminology, new playbook, etc.... You don't think that might slow down Dak's development? Now maybe it would be one step back and two forward, and be the right decision in the long run- but again, a thoughtful analysis has to at least consider that.

You say "He's had more than enough time to build something", but is it really "he"? or is it the GM? Has coaching been the problem, or has it been personnel decisions? Lately, with Stephen calling the shots, our personnel looks a lot better, and guess what- we're winning and the coach looks better too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not the worst. I think this assessment is pretty acccurate.

He needs to do better if he hopes to stick around.

Agreed. I personally would have preferred replacing him, but not because he is bottom of the barrel, but because he has fallen short of good enough for too long. What he has done the last few years would be terrific for a new coach, but the viewpoint is different with a coach that has been at it for 8-9 years.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I don't know if Garrett is the 12th best or not, but I can plainly see incremental improvement in many areas of the Cowboys as an organization the past 5-7 years - that includes the HC. Sure, I'd like to see more playoff wins and more titles, and I don't think we should stop trying to improve until we get there. And at some point it is more than fair to feel like we've reached our ceiling with Garrett (same with Dak, Rod, whoever). I'm not there yet. Getting closer, but not there yet. I think we should compete for a title within the next couple seasons. I realize many of the vocal cadre have since blown past their threshold for patience, which is cool, far be it me to tell others how to be a fan.

I just have the same feeling I had in 1991 when we were about to bust out. I felt the same way about he KC Royals (I live in KC) in 2012-2013. We just have lots of young talent starting to come of age and we were pretty dang close last season. Let's see this through.

Dre11

Reaction score
And they seem to forget whom he works for...…………. #12, in his environment, is a miracle in itself.

Bingo. Any in the top 10, probably wouldn't even be In the top 20 if they were here....lol Naggy? Tomlinson? Lynn?...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
OK- but according to your article, there are only 11 coaches in the entire league that are better than Garrett. So certainly there is a risk the next coach would not be as good. It would be "moronic" (your word) to not consider that possibility. It's the same logic people apply to Dak. What also has the potential to a step back is bringing in an entire new staff, with a new scheme, new terminology, new playbook, etc.... You don't think that might slow down Dak's development? Now maybe it would be one step back and two forward, and be the right decision in the long run- but again, a thoughtful analysis has to at least consider that.

You say "He's had more than enough time to build something", but is it really "he"? or is it the GM? Has coaching been the problem, or has it been personnel decisions? Lately, with Stephen calling the shots, our personnel looks a lot better, and guess what- we're w
inning and the coach looks better too.
:clap:bravo

Sydla

Reaction score

You say "He's had more than enough time to build something", but is it really "he"? or is it the GM? Has coaching been the problem, or has it been personnel decisions? Lately, with Stephen calling the shots, our personnel looks a lot better, and guess what- we're winning and the coach looks better too.

Of course the possibility exists the next coach could be worse. I have never denied that ever.

But after 9 seasons, if the coach can’t get past a divisional round in the playoffs, I am willing to make a change the next offseason.

Hiding behind “stunting development” excuses doesn’t make much sense with a coach that would have been here almost a decade and not won anything of value.

I mean wouldn’t it be somewhat illogical to think that the coach will suddenly get it right 3 years from now when he hadn’t gotten it right the previous 9?

This is it. Do something this coming season on the field or replace the coach. It’s pointless to continue down this path if Garrett can’t advance the team in 2019 beyond the meager results he’s shown this far.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
What I have a problem wrapping my head around is trying to imagine that there is actually a coach out there that's worse.

Sydla

Reaction score
I didn't see you giving this team the same benefit or using it as an excuse, like you're now doing with Seattle Gtfoh

The Seahawks have earned the benefit. In 9 years they’ve made the playoffs 7 times, been to two SBs and won one.

In the 8 years Garrett has been in Dallas he’s made the playoffs only 3 times, has two playoff wins.

It takes a true homer to not see why one gets the benefit of the doubt and one doesn’t.