Sporting News ranks the coaches

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Rest assured there are hordes of people rolling their eyes and chuckling at you also!

Laughing along with me possibly. LOL

98% of the fan base wants Garrett gone. Or you could just read all the laughing going on in this thread at Garretts expense.

So are you a big Garrett fan? You think he is a great coach?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Rest assured there are hordes of people rolling their eyes and chuckling at you also!

Here are some of them laughing at Garrett:

garrett at his very best is average in the regular season and below average in the playoffs the cowboys will never win a or compete for a championship as long as he is the head coach

Yeah, he's a middling coach most of the time. Everyone sees this except Jerry/Stephen Jones and homers here.

1 playoff win last 3 years....if playoff wins are what we seek, that’s not great. Look, Garrett isn’t horrible. He’s done some things in reg season. But 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons would get 99% of NFL coaches fired.

Yea, evidently.....if 2 in a decade puts him in the top 12.

ESisback

Reaction score
LOL.......all of them. How many HC's get stripped of play calling by the owner because they are simply horrid at it? How many HC's have the owner bring in a 30 year old QB coach because your HC/OC has "run out of ideas" and because the "offense needs to be retooled".

How many owners admit that we wasted years "on our dime" as his HC in training bumbled the job while trying to figure out how to coach?

Havent you notice that the MORE Jones demands that Garrett get further and further away from the offense and "game day management" the better the team gets?

Jones to Moore: "let me know if Garrett isnt letting you implement your ideas"

You have to be kidding. Current players, former players complain about how horrid Garrett's offense is. Opponents laugh about the predictability.

The ONLY fans that like Garrett as our coach arent Cowboy fans. Not possible to love the Cowboys and like Garrett. What team do you root for? Giants? Eagles?

All you do is gripe. Why root for Dallas if they make you so unhappy?

pancakeman

Reaction score
If Garrett is so great then why does Jones keep pulling him farther and farther away from the offense? We just brought in a 30 year old kid to "bring in new ideas" and retool the offense. What happened to Garrett? I though he was a great offensive genius.

How many years has it taken Garrett to win a couple of playoff games?

Do you like the way Garrett:

-calls games
-creativity of his offense
-predictability of his offense
-in game management
-in game adjustments
-game planning

Hey, I agree that all those bullet points are weaknesses of his. And I didn't even put forward my opinion on whether this ranking is right or not.
I'm just saying that the assertion that only two playoff victories in the last decade should disqualify him from ranking twelfth is ill considered, since if playoff victories in a decade were the only thing considered he would actually be tied for ninth.

rynochop

Reaction score
What teams are those? Posters of other NFC east teams love the fact that Garrett is our coach. They know how bad he is.

You are fooling yourself if any other team would hire Garrett once he is done here in Dallas.
Schefter said just last season JG would have been an immediate hire for someone with a vacancy, but I'm sure you'll respond with what does he know.

Sydla

Reaction score
And you would've ranked him 20 or below...lol the fact he's ranked 12 is not bad. In fact its better than average. Based on all your whining and griping, there's no way he would be that close to a top 10 coach....lol the fact he's ranked 12, makes all your crying look foolish...lol I've always said he was a good-above average coach, looks as if I was right:yourock:

And there you go lying again. I have never ever ranked him 20 or below.

And LOL at your last sentence. You did more than call him a good, above average coach. You said he was great and claimed if he had landed in NE he would have basically replicated what Belichick did. You’ve argued on this board that Garrett is Belichick if given the same situation in NE.

Big_D

Reaction score
Did he bust his a** ?

Funny how you don't take into account where both teams are respectively. Seattle had no business being there, lost a ton of talent and still gave them a run. Meanwhile the Cowboys have been up and coming for a decade plus. Every year is their year until it isn't. So far he beat a Detroit powerhouse in 2014 then a depleted Seattle team 4 years later.

Big_D

Reaction score
Schefter said just last season JG would have been an immediate hire for someone with a vacancy, but I'm sure you'll respond with what does he know.

That would be great. Hopefully he stays in the division.

Sydla

Reaction score
I've been saying this for a long time, and have quoted several different rankings of coaches. Outside observers have a much higher opinion of Garrett than the forum does. Garrett is smart, and continues to improve. His situation is challenging, with the GM position being the way it is in Dallas. The fact is, Dallas could do a lot worse at the head coach position- and switching now could be a setback, with a whole new staff, scheme, etc... Many teams would consider Garrett and upgrade to their current coach.

Fact is, we could also do better than Garrett too.

He’ll have had 9 years after this coming season so this whole angle where changing coaches would set us back is moronic. He’s had more than enough time to build something. If they don’t make any noise in 2019, how in the world could anyone justify bringing him back?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
1 playoff win last 3 years....if playoff wins are what we seek, that’s not great. Look, Garrett isn’t horrible. He’s done some things in reg season. But 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons would get 99% of NFL coaches fired.
Circumstances.....excellent job considering the circumstances. Including the circumstances of Romo not being able to stay healthy.

ESisback

Reaction score
Laughing along with me possibly. LOL

98% of the fan base wants Garrett gone. Or you could just read all the laughing going on in this thread at Garretts expense.

So are you a big Garrett fan? You think he is a great coach?

Never said I was a Garrett fan. I think he’s been around average. I’m intrigued by the notion of change, but I’d prefer to enjoy the ride, because:

1)”Garrett sucks” was painfully redundant years ago.
2)There’s absolutely NOTHING we can do about it.
3)Forum fans don’t generally know more about the details than those immersed in it for a living.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
LOL.......all of them. How many HC's get stripped of play calling by the owner because they are simply horrid at it? How many HC's have the owner bring in a 30 year old QB coach because your HC/OC has "run out of ideas" and because the "offense needs to be retooled".

How many owners admit that we wasted years "on our dime" as his HC in training bumbled the job while trying to figure out how to coach?

Havent you notice that the MORE Jones demands that Garrett get further and further away from the offense and "game day management" the better the team gets?

Jones to Moore: "let me know if Garrett isnt letting you implement your ideas"

You have to be kidding. Current players, former players complain about how horrid Garrett's offense is. Opponents laugh about the predictability.

The ONLY fans that like Garrett as our coach arent Cowboy fans. Not possible to love the Cowboys and like Garrett. What team do you root for? Giants? Eagles?
The only coach on this entire list that could have done what JG did in 2016 is the Chick

CWR

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of ranking QBs or HCs linearly like this anyway. Like with Dak, the only question I care about is 'can I win a championship with this guy or not.' There's too much variation between markets and divisions to be able to list 'Best HCs from 1-32.' The job in Dallas, for example, is a much bigger job than the one in Jacksonville, for example. The media spotlight, the commitments, the the interference level of the owners, the attention given to the players when they screw up or not, all that stuff is orders of magnitude bigger in Dallas.

And I know almost nobody agrees, but I think this Cowboys team has done enough right that they can compete for world championships right now, with this HC and this QB. That's all that really matters to me. If there's a chance to clearly upgrade either position, I'm all for it. I just don't see a lot of opportunity to do that right now, and I otherwise like where we are.

Yeah thats pretty spot on imho.

Sydla

Reaction score
2nd most wins of all coaches the last 3 seasons. Coach of the Year with a rookie 4th round QB that apparently should not be paid. Has the respect of his players and absolutely no one quits on him. Name a coach a head of him that could have did what Jason has done the last 3 seasons.

1 playoff win over those three years.

Your last comment is hilarious. Pederson, for example, won a SB in his 2nd year so absolutely he could have likely replicated what Garrett did. Then there is Belichick, etc.

So Jason Garrett is far from the only coach that could have had the record he had for the last three years.

Dre11

Reaction score
And there you go lying again. I have never ever ranked him 20 or below.

And LOL at your last sentence. You did more than call him a good, above average coach. You said he was great and claimed if he had landed in NE he would have basically replicated what Belichick did. You’ve argued on this board that Garrett is Belichick if given the same situation in NE.

There you go, I never said he was great. My posts are in the history go get it. I most definitely said don't continually he was good to above average. As for Belicheck comparison I most definitely said if he was just dropped in to the same situation i felt he have close to the same success, funny thing is it's my opinion like yours and it's one that no one will truly know because who knows what BB would've done somewhere else.