Spotrac's projected QB extensions based on calculated market value; What is Dak's?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't think any of those guys are worth those projected amounts.
QBs are rarely worth what they’re paid. Sam Bradford made over 130m in his career. Even a backup like Chase Daniel made 41m and only started 5 games. More recent examples, Kirk Cousins, DeShaun Watson, Jalen Hurts, Daniel Jones, Derek Carr. The list goes on.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I hear and agree with @Reality and @CowboysFaninHouston . I truly believe the NFL needs to put a cap on the amount paid for franchise QBs. That might help every team keep more talent and make the game more competitive.
Not just on QB.

They need to set a percentage of cap aside and max it out for each position group.

If you are top 5 this is what you get.

Middle this is what you get.

And so on.

And its set.

Otherwise you are going to have WRs making 40 mill a year

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not just on QB.

They need to set a percentage of cap aside and max it out for each position group.

If you are top 5 this is what you get.

Middle this is what you get.

And so on.

And its set.

Otherwise you are going to have WRs making 40 mill a year
Isn't that basically how it already works though? It's not that players are just demanding more and more of the pie, but as the cap expands that percentage goes up so salaries follow. It just seems more outrageous as the years go on because a 10% bump from the $100m cap it was years ago is significantly less than the 10% bump we will see this coming year at a $250M cap.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
And $32m in 2028, $34m in 2028. They have plenty of wiggle room to kick that can down the road. As long as Mahomes doesn't turn into a pumpkin at 33 it's a beautiful contract for a franchise QB, a steal for the best in the league IMO.
MaHomes came out and said that he wants his legacy to be winning SB's and to not try and be the richest player in the NFL. He wants to win, not necessarily to get paid big money. Dak on the other hand....

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I'm all for the free market and if there was no cap, it would be crazy to care what any player makes.....but because the cap is the decider in teams rosters, we look at how their pay impacts the rest of the roster

For me it's never on a personal basis.......I'm all for every person getting paid what they are worth.

The one thing I do like about the billionaire owners is that their investments trickle all the way down from the millionaire players down to the mom&pop businesses near the stadiums
Yea but the scumbag billionaire owners are the ones who made the salary cap ....... then act like they hate it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Those are his CAP numbers, not what he is making. In 2024 the Chiefs will give him $18 million in Salary, Bonus and workout bonus. Next year they will pay him $50 million. In 2026 they will pay him $57 million and in 2027 they will pay him $53 million. If they restructure him again he cold get more money up front at some point. The net is, he will average $45 million per year over 10 years. Over the same period, Dak will earn more money than Mahomes.
Same as Dak's $55M this year and $40M next year.

The net for Dak was $40M on his last contract.

No one cares what they make a year. They care about the Cap number and how it effects their ability to sign other players.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yea but the scumbag billionaire owners are the ones who made the salary cap ....... then act like they hate it.
Very fair point. If that's the case they reap what they sew.

Unfortunately for us, our owner struggles with it while others find a way to work around it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
sounds like the NHL.

it would work.
If players are going to get paid basically the same by position, then talent will just go to the more desired locations. It would defeat the point of the salary cap.

No one would want to play in Cleveland.

shabazz

Reaction score
MaHomes came out and said that he wants his legacy to be winning SB's and to not try and be the richest player in the NFL. He wants to win, not necessarily to get paid big money. Dak on the other hand....
Mahomes was smart to realize that losing any "up front" money would be recouped with sucess through endorsements etc....Brady knew it as well

shabazz

Reaction score
What up front money did he lose?
Mahomes pretty much had a blank check and it's recognized throughout the league that his compensation could have been WAY higher than it is.

His agent as well as the Chiefs FO have spoken to this.
Mahomes has been very outspoken on his deal which enables the Chiefs to not be restricted salary and roster wise.

Not to mention the higher guaranteed money he could have demanded

Team friendly deal

RoboQB

Reaction score
You seem to not understand why those 2 INTs happened and who truly was responsible for them.

If I have to keep posting this video 100 times, so be it since some of you refuse to understand what happened, why it happened and who truly was responsible for it. It's lazy and easier just to blame it all on Dak.

You can post it 1000 times. That pick 6 is 100% on Dak.
He was late in throwing it and didn't go to his 2nd read.
As per usual for him. Cooks is wide open right in front
of him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Mahomes pretty much had a blank check and it's recognized throughout the league that his compensation could have been WAY higher than it is.

His agent as well as the Chiefs FO have spoken to this.
Mahomes has been very outspoken on his deal which enables the Chiefs to not be restricted salary and roster wise.

Not to mention the higher guaranteed money he could have demanded

Team friendly deal
Mahomes signed a 10 year average of $45M per year at the m time the next highest QB Russel Wilson at $35M. The 10 year contract was genius because it gave the Chiefs flexibility to push his cap down the road as the cap increased.

Tell me when in the past has any player been paid $10M over the next highest paid player?

https://www.nfl.com/photos/nfl-s-biggest-contracts-for-2020

Do not fool yourself and think that his contract won't be redone before the 10 years is over.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
There needs to be a set percentage of the cap allotted for each position and it can’t go over that.

Or do like the NBA and have max contracts that you’re only eligible for if you meet certain criteria performance wise and not “oh, uhhhh, he’s a QB and it’s his turn to get paid so he is required to reset the market uhhhh”.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You can post it 1000 times. That pick 6 is 100% on Dak.
He was late in throwing it and didn't go to his 2nd read.
As per usual for him. Cooks is wide open right in front
of him.
Who's fault was this?

It happens, get over it.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I really do not care how much players are paid from a money perspective. My post was about dedicating 15% or more of the salary cap to one player.

For example, if the salary cap inceased to $500 million, then I would not care if any of those quarterbacks are paid $60-$65 million per year, because it would be below 15% ($75 million) at that point.
I agree. I was saying that the union has to regulate pay. In most cases it is the union who negotiates pay and it usually involves a chart where one is paid based on years of service, step based on job description, and other details like continuing professional development. They have done it for rookies. The union is there to protect everyone, even the practice squad players, so by allowing one player to soak up so much money there is less for the rank and file players.