Video: Star Crossed: The Carter-Romo Story

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Much respect to Parcells (and the rest of the F.O) for picking Witten and recruiting Romo.

As an FYI, while Witten and Tony both became Cowboys under Parcells, it is widely thought that Witten was not Parcells pick. Because Bill Parcells had just recently joined the team, his invovlement in that first draft was much more limited. He really took over the draft in the following year. It's thought that Witten was the pick of Tony Sparano, who was the then TE Coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Tony was Payton's guy 100%. Sean Payton had a relationship with Tony while Tony was still at EIU. Payton was working with Tony, even then through things like camps etc. Still, Parcells has a profound effect on the personnel, player development and the actual front office that you can see still today IMO.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Remember when fans and media used to claim Romo didn't have enough passion? You don't lack passion or drive going from an undrafted FA to a starting QB. Absolutely ridiculous claims.

Players like Romo should be looked up as an example of what relentless effort to get better can do for you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As an FYI, while Witten and Tony both became Cowboys under Parcells, it is widely thought that Witten was not Parcells pick. Because Bill Parcells had just recently joined the team, his invovlement in that first draft was much more limited. He really took over the draft in the following year. It's thought that Witten was the pick of Tony Sparano, who was the then TE Coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Tony was Payton's guy 100%. Sean Payton had a relationship with Tony while Tony was still at EIU. Payton was working with Tony, even then through things like camps etc. Still, Parcells has a profound effect on the personnel, player development and the actual front office that you can see still today IMO.

I wanted them to pick Witten in the 1st that year. I was really irritated when they passed on him in the 2nd.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wanted them to pick Witten in the 1st that year. I was really irritated when they passed on him in the 2nd.

I know what you mean. When the second round rolled around and he was there and we still didn't pick him, I was coming unhinged.

LOL.......

Roger78

rmahler
Reaction score
I don't post here much but I have a memory regarding Quincy's first training camp that I would like to share. I live a few blocks from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls and did so when the Cowboys held training camp here. Used to go over and watch some practices in the morning (nobody from Wichita Falls would go out in the heat of the afternoon to watch practice - at least the the smart ones!).

Anyway I got the opportunity to watch Troy and Michael practice and they were amazing. Troy hardly ever missed anything. I knew we were in trouble when Troy retired and Quincy came in the next year. Watching him in practice he couldn't hardly complete anything even when throwing against air! He would throw it into the ground and over the receiver's head. His passes all looked like wounded ducks. I've seen many high school QBs who could throw it better than he did. It was truly ugly.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I wanted them to pick him too. But I had to leave the draft because I had to umpire a game. I returned to learn the Cowboys picked him in the third. :dance::yourock::oldcouple:

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Quincy's best season was that 2003 team that made the playoffs and the reason we had success is that our defense carried us against some pretty bad teams. He still threw 17 TDs to 21 INTs and completed less than 60% of his passes. He had a pretty strong arm, but accuracy was always an issue. Reading the defense was never a strength either. We did a lot of designed rollouts where he only had to read half the field. We were basically built to protect him with a conservative offense that focused on running the ball and a defense that could carry us.

He was never going to be what Romo became.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't care at all what the thought metrics that emerged...Dallas ended up with Jones, Gregory, and Collins. I immediately recall a trio drafted by Pittsburgh, that ended up in the Hall and with emerging Super Bowls.

Slashar00

Reaction score
Recognize what? Romo is good but not great. Are you telling me Romo is better than Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady ? Because in my book that's greatness. It doesn't mean we can't win a sb with him I just don't consider the guy great. And yes I would have drafted a qb behind him back in the 2010-2013 years. This organization put a great deal of faith in Romo coming off that back injury.

Rookies are signed to 4 year deals with a 5th year option for 1st rounders.

If your team is stacked, you can draft middle round QBs, groom them, then trade them. It has worked for NE a few times, but generally speaking, those have been wasted draft picks for them.

But I do agree with you that great is better than good, just the same way I agree that winning a 100 million dollar lottery is better than winning a 10 million dollar lottery. I guess the big question is this: Why are so many teams in the NFL so stupid that they don't draft guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers every year? Those idiot GMs don't know football.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Rookies are signed to 4 year deals with a 5th year option for 1st rounders.

If your team is stacked, you can draft middle round QBs, groom them, then trade them. It has worked for NE a few times, but generally speaking, those have been wasted draft picks for them.

But I do agree with you that great is better than good, just the same way I agree that winning a 100 million dollar lottery is better than winning a 10 million dollar lottery. I guess the big question is this: Why are so many teams in the NFL so stupid that they don't draft guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers every year? Those idiot GMs don't know football.

No one knew those guys was going to be great. But they did something the Cowboys refuse to do. They took a look at qbs while they had one already. Heck I thought Jimmy Garopploo or Teddy Bridge Waters would have been locks for us if they sled to the second round or heck even Brent Hundley in the 5th was worth a shot. But we really didnt show any of those guys any real true intreset. Look around in this league a lot of teams are starting to draft qbs that are projected to be of quality within the next couple of years except us.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
That was absolutely enthralling to watch. So many memories and so many what-ifs and twists and turns. I'm ever grateful to the Parcells era. I remember Romo's first training camp in San Antonio, I went up there for the scrimmage. My friends and I were having brunch on the riverwalk. At the time we though Romo seemed a bit cocky for no reason (lol who knew he thought he wasnt good enough!) and well.... who comes walking down the riverwalk in front of us? Romo and Hutchison. So my two friends TOOK OFF and chased them down the walk leaving me with their purses (yes, we're girls) and the bill!! Lol! They chased them down then couldn't cross the river to get autographs but it was a hillarious story in hindsight. This franchise is just rife with history and legend and it just seems to keep growing.............

erod

Reaction score
So basically, if Quincy doesn't smoke pot, Romo would have been released. Jerry was too enamored with Drew Henson to keep Romo.

plymkr

Reaction score

I didn't know that about witten being Sporano's pick. Thx for the info. I knew Payton had a connection with Romo cuz of Eastern Illinois but i had no clue about Sporano. Well whoever drafted him I give much respect to. I love witten, he may go down as one of my all time favorite cowboys, he's up there with Staubach, Irvin, Emmitt, woodson, Romo.

rockj7

Reaction score
just irks you off that they can say we didnt aniticpate the end. How can you do that??? gah

Think about this for a moment, we have not DRAFTED a top tier QB since 1989 some 16 years ago scary.