Video: Star Crossed: The Carter-Romo Story

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys, take the smoking, pot, etc. debate to the Off-topic Zone. All further posts will be removed and accounts benched.

Dodger12

Reaction score
As an FYI, while Witten and Tony both became Cowboys under Parcells, it is widely thought that Witten was not Parcells pick. Because Bill Parcells had just recently joined the team, his invovlement in that first draft was much more limited.

Sp BP's influence was "limited" because he recently joined the team but his TE coach, who was a relative unknown and also just joined the team, had influence?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Yeah.

For all the crap about taking Quincy Carter, I had read on the Sporting News the day before the draft speculation he was moving into the second round.

I didn't think Dallas would pull the trigger, but at least I heard something about Carter going in round two.

Tony Dixon wasn't even on the radar, I thought he was a day three guy that would play special teams.

After the Carter pick...I was pulling for Shaun Rogers DT Texas. He only played in the NFL for 12 freakin years:mad: Win some....and you lose some I guess:(

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Good to see Quincy doing better these days and helping people in a positive way.

As for Romo, you can see how raw he through 06-08. You can also see how the Dallas QB position shoots you into super stardom and the celebrity lifestyle comes at you full force. The only thing I dislike is them not even mentioning the maturity we saw from him in 09. He broke away from the gunslinger ways and became a true top 10 QB.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Your all up on Romo chill. Romo is good but not great. I say this and I will continue to say it. I know what this team went through after Aikman left and who do we fault ? If JJ doesn't do something now we might go through it now. But I'm sorry I REFUSE to put a qb on a pedestal that hasn't done much but win a couple playoff games... I'm sorry. Until Romo show me a ring or is consistent in making deep playoff appearances he is what he is to me.

So what is considered great to you? Romo had the highest QB last year and has continued to put up amazing numbers similar or even better than the top QBs in the league. So you base your rating on playoff games. You must think Dilfer is a great QB.

lostar2009

Reaction score
So what is considered great to you? Romo had the highest QB last year and has continued to put up amazing numbers similar or even better than the top QBs in the league. So you base your rating on playoff games. You must think Dilfer is a great QB.

One or two years doesn't cut it. I like to see a WHOLE body of work that doesn't justify itself base on a QBR. I have mention the greats their individual success often correlates to the team success. I really can't think of a qb that was consider great who team never really accomplished much. Can you find that guy for me?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
One or two years doesn't cut it. I like to see a WHOLE body of work that doesn't justify itself base on a QBR. I have mention the greats their individual success often correlates to the team success. I really can't think of a qb that was consider great who team never really accomplished much. Can you find that guy for me?

Dan Marino. Now stop trolling.........

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Same applies to every player on the team for that definition. If team doesn't accomplish much, then a player isn't great. If it is for Romo, it applies to Jason Witten and Demarcus Ware also.

Romo all time Cowboys passing leader, good never great. Witten all time Cowboys reception leader, good never great. Demarcus Ware all time Cowboys sack leader, good never great.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As for the documentary ...
- I was impressed by how candid Romo and Quincy Carter were. In terms of Romo, he was pretty candidate about not being confident in himself and thinking other quarterbacks were better than he. But it's not where you're drafted or where you go to school. Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, Chris Simms (who I wanted Dallas to take), Seneca Wallace, Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Brooks Bollinger, Kliff Kingsbury, Gibran Hamdan and Ken Dorsey were all drafted as Romo sat. And I would argue with maybe - and a very iffy maybe - the exception of Palmer (although I believe Romo is an overall better quarterback and had the better career than Palmer), Romo has outplayed them all.
- I appreciated Carter's candor. Drugs and insecurity hurt his career. He was a talent, but he had too many internal issues to succeed.
- The Cowboys organization was extremely inept. No wonder we wallowed for years.
- Why didn't Romo negotiate a higher free agent salary if he knew the Cowboys and the Broncos wanted him but Dallas was paying less.
- Parcells was wise in how he handles Romo. I fully believe had Parcells or a Parcells-like coach been there for Romo's entire career, he'd have a Super Bowl ring by now.
- Darren Woodson is da MAN! I like players who can spot talent and aren't ashamed to acknowledge even if it means going to the head coach and saying, "This guy's got it." I like how he stepped up and gave props to Romo when Woodson had nothing to gain by doing so.

erod

Reaction score
Meredith to Morton to Staubach to White to Aikman to Romo.....

This franchise has been ridiculously blessed at QB.

And if Romo could win a Super Bowl, I'm not sure he wouldn't be considered the best of them all. Seriously.

robjay04

Reaction score
Meredith to Morton to Staubach to White to Aikman to Romo.....

This franchise has been ridiculously blessed at QB.

And if Romo could win a Super Bowl, I'm not sure he wouldn't be considered the best of them all. Seriously.

I won't argue a hypothetical but I don't see the mainstream media ever giving him that much credit. Too many pundits would have to admit they were wrong.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Dan Marino. Now stop trolling.........

This was already discuss... Do you know how many NFL records Dan hold? Not only that he has a ROY, MVP, A SB appearance, pro bowls, along with leading his team to many playoffs appearances.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
After watching part 2 there is one thing really amazing to me...

Every time I think it's not possible to like Romo more, and want him to win a ring anymore than I already do, you hear him talk about his career, and football in general, and I walk away liking him more and wanting him to win even more.

I don't think the Cowboys have ever had a player in my lifetime that I've wanted to see win a championship as badly as I want to see Romo win one. This guy is not only ridiculously good at playing football but he's just a damn good dude. I really don't understand how anyone could possibly not like this guy.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Same applies to every player on the team for that definition. If team doesn't accomplish much, then a player isn't great. If it is for Romo, it applies to Jason Witten and Demarcus Ware also.

Romo all time Cowboys passing leader, good never great. Witten all time Cowboys reception leader, good never great. Demarcus Ware all time Cowboys sack leader, good never great.

I'm sorry Ware and Romo may not make it to the HOF but Witten will in those terms. At this moment if both careers was to end TODAY Ware has a better chance of making it than Romo. But overall those are skilled players. They can help a team but qbs build teams. Skill players have the luxury of being reviewed completely base off stats or production. But a qb if he is of quality his production will trickle down throughout the whole team.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
This was already discuss... Do you know how many NFL records Dan hold? Not only that he has a ROY, MVP, A SB appearance, pro bowls, along with leading his team to many playoffs appearances.

But he never won the big one. So he is a choker. Good but not great. Right?