State of the Franchise

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, you'd rather attempt to stock up everywhere else in an effort to overcome them. Or point your finger at another party as if that excuses Garrett. It doesn't.
I have no problem admitting Garrett has his weaknesses in coaching but since removing him isn’t an option at this time why are our expectations as high with status quo ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Much like with Jerry. Most of us realize his agendas and the handicaps his way present but yet we still expect more from this franchise.Why????

Complaining is fine but expecting greater results is bordering on insane. Hold Jerry accountable where it hurts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no problem admitting Garrett has his weaknesses in coaching but since removing him isn’t an option at this time why are our expectations as high with status quo ?

Low.

The expectations are low. As they should be, based on 7 years in a seat he's unqualified for and a decade plus of disappointing results in any of his coaching positions.

I don't know who's expectations are "high" right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Much like with Jerry. Most of us realize his agendas and the handicaps his way present but yet we still expect more from this franchise.Why????

Complaining and boycotting are fine but expecting greater results is bordering on insane. Hold Jerry accountable where it hurts.

Take a look at this thread you're positing in, and then reconsider your claim that anyone is "expecting more". Expectations are in the toilet, outside of the attempted sales job once again being perpetrated by the Joneses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Low.

The expectations are low. As they should be, based on 7 years in a seat he's unqualified for and a decade plus of disappointing results in any of his coaching positions.

I don't know who's expectations are "high" right now.
Then why are so many fans disappointed with this seasons results?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This tough-guy-fan talk always makes me laugh. Plane crash kills half the team and they don't have a winning season. BUT NO EXCUSES!

Stay with me in reality here. There was no plane crash. They didn't lose half the team. Nobody died. They simply couldn't do what the Eagles did. Overcome injuries. They weren't good enough despite being "ideally" put together by the front office.

I see some risk that Prescott won't be the franchise Quarterback we need. Maybe 20% chance. I also say there's a 30% chance he's a guy who will be in pro bowls. Your Prescott views are a wall of hate...but do keep us all amused.

Well your percentages have swayed me.

Homers call it hate. I'm merely speaking the truth. Every one of you cheerleaders wanted to talk to me about Prescott a year ago after a season you didn't understand. Nobody wants to now as the things I've said about him from the start were so apparent this past season. He can't throw. He doesn't see the field. He's not a starting NFL QB you want to build around.

I'd say there's a 100% chance I'm right about that.

That absolutely was the plan, and I'll tell you why I know. The baseball community, which has gone highly sabermetric, has eschewed free agents--because the research says they usually don't work out. You overpay for aging players who are declining and more injury prone. The template now in baseball is to go youth, youth, youth. Wanna know who attends--and has been a speaker--at some of those sabrmetric seminars? Stephen Jones. They've said it 100 times but you refuse to listen...the team values draft picks far more than free agency.

Well how convenient for them that their "plan" was the only thing they could do thanks to their mismanagement of the cap.

Or....did they mismanage the cap purposely as phase one of this plan? I'll let you tell it. I prefer non fiction.

BTW, how is this approach (the only one they can take) working for them as their draft built team watches while the FA active Eagles play for a title?

Usually you need results before you start bragging.

We need a tight end and should look, IMO, to replace Dez. We can do that this offseason. Dak was great last year when Dez was out. We do that and this offense will go right back to elite--which it was, you fail to acknowledge--a yards and points leader in the first 24 games of Dak's career.

I will be disappointed if Dez and Witten are on the roster next season. I'll admit that much.

They need multiple WRs, a starting TE and a starting QB. Shambles would be the best description for the state of the Cowboys' skill positions other than RB.

WLJG

Reaction score
Here is where the Cowboys sit:

-They have are 22-10 over the past two season.
-The Boys sit with one of the younger teams in the league. Lots of players are just entering their prime years.
-We aren't cap rich, but we probably sit better w/the cap than in previous years
-Final payment on Romo ($9 mil) will be paid soon
-We draft close to the middle of the first round, not at the end of rounds
-We have 3 bonus draft picks acquired because of prudent thinking in last season's free agency
-The secondary is looking really promising
-We have one of the best pass rushers in the game
-Zeke has no more suspensions hanging

If folks can't find a few positives to talk about...they are running from them because of their own bad attitude.
Good for you!!! It is a good thing to have a good attitude and be positive. And your list is somewhat impressive. However, I would point out that virtually every other NFL team could create a list that is just as impressive. Many one that is more impressive. But hope reigns eternal. It is always better to view the glass as half full.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good for you!!! It is a good thing to have a good attitude and be positive. And your list is somewhat impressive. However, I would point out that virtually every other NFL team could create a list that is just as impressive. Many one that is more impressive. But hope reigns eternal. It is always better to view the glass as half full.

In life? Certainly.

In football? As a fan? I don't see the same obligation.

It's one thing to be optimistic, it's another to be naive, or delusional. If anything, that type of thinking can, in fact, be dangerous.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that doesn’t take into account any of the variables.

As long as one of those "variables" is named Garrett, the rest don't matter. You can load up and kill it in the draft (like in 2016), and Garrett and his staff will still find a way to screw it up if they reach the playoffs (as they did). And you can load up in free agency and have overwhelming talent at every position, and this staff would still only be able to beat the mediocre teams and lose to the good ones (as they've had 7 years to establish). But keep in mind that if just one of those players misses time, all bets are off and this whole house of cards collapses. After all, how can anyone be expected to deal with injuries in the NFL?

Does this represent how misinformed fans are they can’t dechiper or do they represent more of a Lynch Mob?

Maybe the "Lynch mob" actually knows better than the spreadsheet intellectuals trying to overthink everything? After all, the Ivy League educated coach manages to be a football moron.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As long as one of those "variables" is named Garrett, the rest don't matter. You can load up and kill it in the draft (like in 2016), and Garrett and his staff will still find a way to screw it up if they reach the playoffs (as they did). And you can load up in free agency and have overwhelming talent at every position, and this staff would still only be able to beat the mediocre teams and lose to the good ones (as they've had 7 years to establish). But keep in mind that if just one of those players misses time, all bets are off and this whole house of cards collapses. After all, how can anyone be expected to deal with injuries in the NFL?

Maybe the "Lynch mob" actually knows better than the spreadsheet intellectuals trying to overthink everything? After all, the Ivy League educated coach manages to be a football moron.
Yep. It’s like I thought . Thanks

T-RO

Reaction score
Stay with me in reality here. There was no plane crash. They didn't lose half the team. Nobody died. They simply couldn't do what the Eagles did. Overcome injuries.

No plane crash? Roger Goodell is the NFL's plane crash when it comes to the NFL and the Cowboys. The Grim Reaper. There was a pall over the season before it even started. Then virtually all of our best players on defense missed 4 or more games.

And our all-pro RB and all-pro tackle were out large stretches.

Can one can argue the Cowboys needed more depth? Sure. And they'll have that depth next season.

This team wins 10+ games next season. Maybe 14 wins.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Uh oh! Then it drops to 26-22! Yeah, let's not do that!
That is when the turnaround began and it somehow coincides when we got Zeke and Dak

Amazingly it was when we lost our Franchise QB

That is why he starts at 2017.... it is the 421 Era

usa_today_9756283.0.jpeg

T-RO

Reaction score

We went 13-3 in '16 with these players and Jason as HC. We lost a nail-biter in the playoffs. Go back to that season and ask yourself:
Was Dak a rookie?
Was DeMarcus the monster he has become?
Did we have a stud secondary like we're forging now?

We will be a more talented and more primed. Little people whine. It takes a man to have hope. Let's man up around here!